Lamborghini Will Bring Super-Limited Edition Hybrid V-12 Supercar to Frankfurt: Report
The car, which Lamborghini says will be limited to just 63 examples, will preview the Aventador’s successor.
Turns out, Ferrari won't be the only Italian supercar maker to go hybrid this year. Archrival Lamborghini is set to reveal its first production hybrid model—a limited-run V-12 hybrid hypercar, no less—at this year's Frankfurt Motor Show in September, as reported by Australia's Motoring.
Codenamed LB48H, the car will be made in the same vein as Lambo's previous special V-12s such as the Reventon and Centenario and will serve as a preview to the company's Aventador successor. Styling-wise, expect it to resemble 2017's MIT-co-developed Terzo Millennio electric concept car. Its front wheels will be hooked up to an electric motor while the rear axle will be powered by Lambo's traditional 6.5-liter V-12.
"So we had the Reventon, the Veneno, and the Centenario, and now we have this car, [the LB48H]," said Lamborghini Chief Commercial Officer Federico Foschini. "This is the technical name but we're not yet revealing the final name. This car is really a huge product for Lamborghini."
It'll apparently be limited to just 63 units to coincide with the year Lamborghini was conceived, 1963. In true limited-run exotic car fashion, all of them are already sold and have been since last July.
As for the "regular" series production Lamborghini that this car will supposedly precursor, previous reports have pegged the Aventador's successor to drop sometime in 2020. Foschini says the estimate might be a tad early. "Maybe it will be a little bit later, because of the success of the current Aventador is still so huge that we don't need to change. For example, the SVJ has been pre-sold just in the first three to four weeks."
In addition to the LB48H, Foschini says we can expect a "surprise" to be revealed at this year's Frankfurt show. Motoring predicts this to be a plug-in hybrid version of the Urus SUV.
- RELATEDNext-Gen Lamborghini Aventador Will Get First-Ever Hybrid V-12 in 2020: ReportThe Aventador's successor will be preceded by a limited-run hypercar due out next year.READ NOW
- RELATEDSnow-Loving Canadian Dailies His $235,000 Lamborghini Huracan in the Dead of Winter"Who cares if I'm going to get a scratch or something because of winter?" said the can-do Canuck.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Lamborghini Huracán Evo: Artificial Intelligence Makes 640-HP Exotic Even More SavageWith its engine borrowed from the Huracán Performante, this new version of the "Baby Lambo" is anything but immature.READ NOW
- RELATEDA Ferrari V-8 Hybrid Supercar Is Coming This Year: ReportIt's expected to make more power than the 710 hp 488 Pista, making it the most powerful V-8 Ferrari ever.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis One-Of-One Lotus Evora Hybrid Can Be Yours for the Low Price of $195,000Think that's steep? Think again, as Lotus reportedly spent $30 million developing this Evora 414E Hybrid prototype.READ NOW