A Ferrari V-8 Hybrid Supercar Is Coming This Year: Report
It's expected to make more power than the 710 hp 488 Pista, making it the most powerful V-8 Ferrari ever.
On at least two separate occasions last year, Ferrari 488 test mules were caught running around with a suspicious lack of engine noise. It now sounds like we'll get to see what the exotic automaker has been up to pretty soon. Ferrari will be introducing a new mid-engined hybrid supercar before the year is out, said company CEO Louis Camilleri on a late January earnings call as reported by Automotive News.
An unnamed source "familiar with the project" reportedly told Automotive News that the gas engine involved will be a V-8, meaning the car likely won't be some ultra-exclusive, high-priced successor to 2013's hybrid LaFerrari hypercar. Instead, it'll be a regular series production model with a "regular lifecycle," says Camilleri. Think Acura NSX, not McLaren P1.
According to company Chief Technicals Officer Michael Leiters, the upcoming hybrid will "sit at the top of Ferrari’s sport cars range" and make more horsepower than the 710-hp 488 Pista, rendering it the most powerful V-8 Ferrari to date. It'll reportedly use a "second-generation" Ferrari hybrid drivetrain evolved from the LaFerrari's inaugural system.
The report goes on to say that while the car will get a 2019 debut, don't expect it to drop at next month's Geneva show. In any case, the first customers can expect to get their cars in early 2020.
The electrified V-8 supercar will, if Ferrari has its way, be the first of many hybrid cars to come out of Maranello. Camilleri aims for 60 percent of the brand's offerings to have hybrid variants by the year 2022 with an all-electric model coming sometime after that.
- RELATEDFerrari F430 Owner Who Sued Arkansas Dealership Won't Get Millions After AllPunitive damages were lowered from $5.8 million to $500,000.READ NOW
- RELATEDFerrari SF90: The Scuderia's Hopeful Challenger for the 2019 Formula 1 SeasonBut can it put an end to the Scuderia Ferrari's decade-long F1 title drought?READ NOW
- RELATEDBecome The Transporter With Jason Statham's Own 2014 Ferrari F12 BerlinettaThe thoroughly enjoyed grand tourer is listed for sale in California with just under 21,000 miles on the clock.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Chris Harris Be Moved by the Ferrari 488 Pista's Exquisite Track MannersIt turns out an Italian supercar with 710 horsepower is quite good. Who would've thought?READ NOW
- RELATEDFlorida Man Confesses to Cops, Says 'Jesus Told Me To' Drive Ferrari 360 Off Pier"Jesus made me the smartest man on earth and it's so hard to have this much responsibility," the 48-year-old reportedly said to the police.READ NOW