The Best Off-Road Lights (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Light up your path with these durable off road lights.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Noelle Talmon / LAST UPDATED ON November 21, 2020
No matter what type of off-road vehicle you drive, you can increase visibility significantly by investing in a good lighting system. Stock lights can only do so much and aren't particularly powerful. Aftermarket off-road lights, however, can make a big difference when it comes to seeing what's ahead of you and surrounding you.
Your basic headlights can only do so much when you're traveling in a Jeep, SUV, or other off-road vehicle. It's important to be able to navigate the area safely to prevent damage to your truck and yourself. Investing in a high-quality set of off-road lights also adds some style to your ride. Check out our list of the best off road lights available.
These 12-volt, 55-watt halogen driving beam lights fit on a variety of vehicles. They're lightweight and designed for rugged applications.
- Durable and simple to install
- Useful both on-road and off
- Backed by a one-year warranty
- Not the best option in foggy conditions
- Some users complain the long-range visibility is lacking
These lights are specifically designed for Jeeps, SUVs, pickups, ATVs, etc. and feature a 50,000-hour lifespan and 6000k color temperature.
- Dissipate heat well due to their aluminum alloy construction
- Waterproof, corrosion-resistant, shockproof, and dust-proof
- Beam may be difficult to adjust to your specifications
Available in a variety of sizes, this light bar accommodates various types of vehicles, from trucks to boats and ATVs. It features both spot and flood beams.
- Bright with long-range visibility
- Rustproof and dust-proof
- Come with a two-year warranty
- Mounting hardware isn't the best quality
- Moisture may seep in even though the lights are supposed to be waterproof
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Off-Road Lights
- Increase visibility. The number-one advantage to installing off-road lights on your vehicle is to illuminate the area in front of you and around you. The better you can see, the easier it will be for you to navigate the trail.
- Add some style. Off-road lighting systems come in a variety of different sizes and shapes. If you're the type of person who doesn't like looking like everyone else, you have a lot of options when it comes to lighting.
- Spend only what you want. The great thing about off-road lighting systems is they are available in a wide range of prices. You don't have to spend a lot of money to put fog lights or a light bar on your SUV, Jeep, ATV, or UTV.
Types of Off-Road Lights
If you're traveling in pitch-black conditions, you may want to consider a spotlight. This type of light emits a strong, focused beam that significantly brightens the area in which you direct it. Many of these lights are adjustable, so you can point them in whatever direction you choose. These lights often feature halogen bulbs.
Many off-roaders choose to use light bars on their vehicles. These long and narrow systems let you illuminate large areas by simply flipping a switch, which makes them quite convenient. Most light bars consist of LED lights, which are very efficient, durable, and affordable. They're also one of the most common types of lights for off-roading.
Fog lights are not as bright as spotlights and light bars, but they are also very useful. They produce low, shallow beams of light that can help you see better when it's rainy, foggy, and hazy. Commonly used in the agricultural industry, fog lights emit a long, rectangular beam.
HELLA is a well-known German automotive company that got its start in 1899. The company produces lighting and electronic components. It makes a variety of different lights, including headlamps and interior lighting. We recommend the HELLA 500 Series Driving Lamp Kit.
Based in California, Auxbeam has been around since 2008. The company produces a wide variety of LED lights and accessories, including off-road lights, driving lights, and motorcycle lights. One of its popular products is the Auxbeam LED Pods 18W Flood LED Light Bar.
Nilight is a relatively new brand under the ZNDER Inc. umbrella, which was founded in New Jersey in 2015. The company manufactures a variety of LED lights, including off-road lights, emergency lighting, headlights, and running lights. We recommend the Nilight LED Light Bar.
Off-Road Light Pricing
- $20-$80: One of the best things about off-road lighting is it's quite affordable. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get increased visibility. However, lower-priced systems may not be as durable or long-lasting as models that are made with better materials.
Since you're going to be off-roading with these lights, they need to be able to withstand a certain amount of vibration, impact, and a variety of weather conditions. As a result, they should be constructed with high-quality materials. To make sure they last, look for products that have durable lenses and high-quality housings and mounting brackets. Also, make sure they're waterproof, and check to see if they include stone guards.
Brightness and Beam Pattern
Since you probably chose to purchase off-road lights because you want to increase visibility, their brightness is very important. Check the specs and see how much light they will emit. Many are at least 5,000 lumens. Also, take a look at the beam pattern. Many have a spot beam, but spread, driving, and flood beam patterns are also available.
Before spending your hard-earned cash on a set of off-road lights, think about where you want to install them. Lightbars and pods should be mounted in an area where they provide the best performance. Many large light bars are mounted above the windshield, while pods are typically placed on the front bumper.
- Added Features: Look for lights with an IP67 rating, which indicates they are waterproof and dustproof. Also, check to see if they have cooling fans for heat dissipation. Another feature to consider is the mounting hardware; some include brackets, while others don't. Color temperature is also important. Finally, check to see if there's a warranty.
- Installation: If you're not mechanically inclined, it may be a little challenging to install a set of off-road lights on your vehicle. The good news is that most manufacturers provide detailed instructions on how to set them up (or you can find some handy videos online).
Best Off-Road Light Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Think about the space you have available. Make sure to measure the dimensions, and choose an off-road light that will fit correctly.
- Pick a lighting system that won't drain your battery. Some brands use more energy than others to produce brighter lights.
- Look for brands with long warranties. Some provide as little as six months of coverage, while others have two-year warranties, which can give you some peace of mind.
What are the best off-road driving lights?
All of the products on our list are good off-road lights with a lot of positive feedback from users. There are many options available, and which one you choose is a personal preference.
What is the brightest off-road light?
For really bright off-road lights, look for brands that are at least 6,000 lumens. They will provide the most visibility.
How do I choose off-road lights?
First, choose what type you want. Then pick one that is bright enough for your needs and falls under your budget. Make sure it’s a high-quality product that’s waterproof, dustproof, and shockproof.
Our pick for the best off-road lights is the HELLA 500 Series Driving Lamp Kit. Created by a well-known German company, these lights are compatible with a variety of vehicles. They are quite durable due to their rugged construction and are backed by a one-year warranty. For a more budget-friendly option, consider the Auxbeam LED Pods 18W Flood LED Light Bar.