Best Fog Lights: Light Your Way in the Fog
Enhance visibility in foggy weather with these top-rated lights
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Despite your vehicle having the best headlights, driving through the fog is always a challenge. This is because normal driving lights reflect light off the fog, hindering your visibility. Fortunately, there is a way to see through the fog, rain, dust, and drifting snow, thanks to fog lights. Due to their light color, beam shape, and location, these aftermarket lights are designed to offer a clear view of limited visibility conditions. Below are three of the best fog lights on the market.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Fog Lights
- Improve visibility.Fog lamps are usually installed beneath the front bumper, so the driver can clearly see everything on the road. By increasing the visibility, they help a driver to see well even during harsh weather conditions.
- Enhance aesthetics. The best fog lights can make a car look more beautiful, even when they are not in use. When they are installed the right way, they add both style and functionality.
- Notify other road users of your presence. If it’s hard for you to see the road ahead in bad weather, it’s a lot harder for drivers who don't have fog lights. These lights work well with OEM headlights and let other road users know your location, helping them to drive more carefully.
- Boost road safety. Fog lights not only help you in foggy conditions, but they also work well in other bad driving conditions. When there’s rainy weather or a snowstorm, fog lamps can make the difference between getting home safe and getting into a serious accident.
Types of Fog Lights
Halogen fog lights are a common sight. They emit yellow light and their biggest selling point is their affordability. A lot of car owners find them user-friendly. The lights produce adequate light that does not cause a blinding effect, unlike brighter fog lamps. However, in areas where heavy fog is common, halogen fog lights should not be the go-to solution. These lights also have a short lifespan and require constant replacement.
LED fog lights are a better option than halogen bulbs. They use light-emitting diodes to greatly boost visibility. Some modern LED fog lights have a range of light colors that are useful in different kinds of weather. While they are pricier than halogen fog lights, they use less energy. However, their biggest benefit is their durability. Well-maintained LED lights offer top performance for many years.
High-Intensity Discharge (HID) fog lights are bright and use Xenon gas. They have a longer lifespan and consume less energy than halogen bulbs. These lights can withstand shocks and vibrations. They also distribute light more evenly and are a great option for heavy fog. However, before installing HIDs in your car, it is wise to consider other road users who may be sensitive to intense light.
This automotive LED lighting company was founded in 2015 and is a market leader in automotive and LED lighting. It has its headquarters in Ontario, California and dedicates countless hours to product research and development. Its LED Fog Light Bulbs are some of its best-selling products.
Philips is one of the biggest electronics companies in the world and dates back to 1891. Its LED fog lights are usually fitted with SafeBeam technology and Focus light where it's needed. The beam pattern is even, accurate, and specifically designed according to road safety regulations. With precise light control, Philips LED lights make for better nighttime driving. The Philips X-tremeVision LED Fog Light is one of the company’s best products.
An industry leader in forward-projecting LED lighting, Rigid Industries has been featured twice in Inc. Magazine as one of the fastest-growing manufacturing companies in the United States. Its lighting products are used in a wide range of applications, from agriculture to rescue operations. We love the D-Series SAE Fog Lights, which are sure to please even picky car owners.
Fog Lights Pricing
- $5-$20:The fog lights in this category feature basic construction. You can also get high-quality fog lights for less than $20 if they are on sale.
- $20-$50: If you want fog lights that produce a crisp, bright beam, this is where you should look. The lights are easy to install, easy to maintain, and offer good value for the money.
- $50-$100: Some high-quality fog lights cost as much as $100. However, they have one major benefit: a lengthy warranty.
Most fog lights usually have a wide, short beam because they are designed to direct light to the sides and downwards. These lights are installed underneath the front bumper (about 24 inches above the ground). The light beam hits the road without interference and no light shines up to reflect off the fog. This enhances visibility in foggy conditions.
Color temperature is measured in Kelvins. Fog lights usually have a color temperature between 3000K and 6500K. Many car owners have the assumption that fog lights only produce yellow light (light with a colour temperature of 3000K), but this is not always the case. Yellow light is preferred simply because it has a longer wavelength than blue or white light. This allows it to penetrate a thick atmosphere—even water.
It is important to check whether fog lights will fit your car before buying them. Some fog lights only fit specific bulbs, while others require load resistor kits to bypass error codes. Choose fog lights with a universal fit as they can be installed in any vehicle. It is also important to check whether your car can deliver enough current to power the lights.
Lumens tell us the brightness of a light source. They accurately measure the light output of fog lights. For instance, a fog light that produces 2,000 lumens is brighter than one that produces 1,000 lumens. Watts do not measure the light output—they only measure the energy used.
- Lifespan. The last thing you want after buying fog lights and installing them is for them to stop working a few months down the road. LED fog lights cost more than other types of fog lights, but they have a longer lifespan. Halogen fog lights, which have a color temperature of 3000K, only last 18 to 24 months. On the other hand, LED fog lights can last for more than five years.
- Design. Fog usually starts approximately two feet above the ground. Be sure to get fog lights that can be installed below that level. If the lights are higher than the fog, you won’t see anything other than their reflection in the fog. The light will be reflected back to your face, making driving very difficult.
Best Fog Lights Reviews & Recommendations 2020
- It is important to note that fog lights are designed for limited visibility situations only, and have a limited range. Therefore, use them only when it is foggy and avoid driving at high speeds.
- Before buying fog lights, always check the laws in your city. This is because different cities have different requirements for the acceptable colors of the fog lights.
- Vehicles have various fog light bulb size requirements. Check your manual to confirm your vehicle’s fog light bulb size before purchasing.
Q: Where are fog lights installed in a vehicle?
A: Fog lights can be installed on the roof, bumper, or the lower grille. Their beam should be angled low towards the ground so that they don’t reflect light off the fog or snow toward you. Note that these lights can be installed on motorcycles, boats, ATVs, and other automobiles.
Q: Do fog lights distract other motorists?
A: Yes. Fog lights are very bright and they can easily blind other motorists, especially if they are not installed properly with their beam angle low to the ground. As a courtesy, always switch them off when you approach other drivers.
Q: Which color is the best for a fog light?
A: Many people believe that yellow is the best color for a fog light due to its high wavelength. However, it is all about preference—some like blue, white, or even amber. Remember to check if the color you purchase is legal in your city.
We recommend the SiriusLED H8 Size DRL Fog Light. It is efficient, easy to install, and durable.
If you are looking for something cheaper, then you should consider the Nilight Spot Driving Fog Light. Despite its price, the fog light is super bright and can serve you for years.