Best LED Fog Lights: Shine Some Light in Foggy Weather
See better in inclement weather with these top-rated fog lights.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
When fog blankets your surroundings, you might be able to see only a few feet in front of you — anything farther blends right into the mist. And if you’re behind the wheel of your car while it’s foggy out, it can feel nearly impossible to see clearly. Obstacles, street lights, and even the vehicles right ahead of or behind you can disappear easily. Fog makes driving significantly more challenging and, as a result, more dangerous.
But there’s one way you can see better in foggy conditions: a set of LED fog lights. Energy efficient with just the right amount of brightness to break through the fog, LED fog lights are designed to help you see better than you would with your vehicle’s headlights alone. You’ll get a clearer view, see obstacles and other cars more easily, and be safer all around. And we’re here to help. Check out which LED fog lights we like best below.
BEAMTECH H11 Led Fog Light Bulb
These 30-watt xenon white bulbs are 6-6,500k in color temp, 800 lumens, and have a lifespan of 10,000 working hours. Installation is plug-and-play, and the bulbs include a one-year warranty.
- These lights are bright, well-constructed, and produce a good, even beam
- They run cool and fit nicely in stock housing
- They don't bother drivers in front of you
- Bulbs may be hard to install
- They may also produce a dark spot in the middle of the light output
- Can cause a malfunction code error
Nilight 2PCS 18W 1260lm Spot Driving Fog Light
The lights feature 1,260 lumens and have a lifespan of over 30,000 hours. They are dustproof and waterproof in up to 3.3 feet of water for 30 minutes.
- Lights are well-constructed and durable
- Bright and provide great visibility in the rain and snow
- They are very directional with a spot beam and are easy to install
- Lights can be difficult to aim, and the bolts may break during installation
- They don't include a wiring harness or mounting hardware
JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright 2600 Lumens Max 50W High Power H10 9145 LED Fog Light Bulbs
These lights are 6000K xenon white, and each bulb is 1,300 lumens. They have a maximum capacity of 50 watts, feature plug-and-play installation, and are covered under a one-year warranty.
- These lights are well-constructed, easy to install, and emit a crisp, clear white light
- They are brighter than stock lights yet don't blind oncoming drivers
- Lights may not project correctly in older vehicles or those without factory LED lights installed
- They may stop working over a short period of time
We can’t put our own hands on every item available. In these instances, we put our collective experience in journalism, research, and prior product testing to use to make our product picks. Items that are used by our own staff may get earnest endorsements as well, but we’ll never accept fees or bonuses to sell you stuff we’re not actually excited about. Affiliate revenue is always disclosed.
The Drive aggregates reviews and research from all over the internet to figure out which products are worth buying. We also put out shopping guides to help you understand how to assess the value of these things on your own. As our editorial cousins at Car Bibles say, “Knowledge is horsepower!”
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more
Philips & Co. was founded in Eindhoven, Netherlands, in 1891 by Gerard Philips and his father Frederik Philips. It soon became one of the world’s leading producers of light bulbs. One of its popular products is the Philips 12834UNIX2 X-tremeVision LED Fog Light.
Online retailer JDM ASTAR specializes in automotive LED technology for cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles, boats, RVs, and lawn mowers. It’s based in City of Industry, Calif. One of its top products is the JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright Max 50W High Power 880 LED Fog Light Bulbs for DRL or Fog Lights.
First founded in 1931, Sylvania was one of the first companies to research fluorescent light bulbs. Over decades, the brand became one of the biggest names in light bulbs and lighting products, and its auto bulb line is a standout. You’ll love products like the Sylvania 9145 Zevo LED Twin set, a pair of bulbs that are made just for fog.
ZNDER Inc., maker of the Nilight and six other brands, was established in 2015 in New Jersey. The company concentrates on LED work lights, LED light bars, LED emergency lighting, LED headlights, wiring harnesses, LED running lights, and more. One of its top products is the Nilight 2PCS 18W 1260lm Spot Driving Fog Light Off Road Led Lights Bar.
LED Fog Light Pricing
- Under $20: It's possible to purchase decent-quality fog lights for under $20, particularly if they're on sale.
- $20-$40: There are numerous fog lights in this price range that are easy to install and that produce a clean, crisp beam.
- $40 and up: You can pay up to or over $100 for some brands of fog lights. They often have longer warranties, but have many of the same features of less pricey products.
High Lumen Output
LED fog lights can offer better brightness, energy, and efficiency than your average vehicle fog light bulbs. However, you’ll want to make sure you look at the lumen output—not the wattage—when you’re picking out a pair of fog lights. LED lights use just 20 percent of the electricity that a halogen bulb does and measuring wattage isn't going to tell you how bright the bulb is. Instead, take a look at the lumens. Higher lumens mean a higher light output or greater brightness. You can find LED fog lights with output as high as 4,000 to 6,000 lumens (or 2,000 to 3,000 lumens per bulb).
One of the biggest benefits of LED fog lights is their sealed construction. These bulbs are sealed against moisture, specifically made to prevent issues like fogging or water damage while your car is outdoors and in less-than-sunny weather. LED fog light bulbs can either be water-resistant or waterproof, usually up to a 1-meter depth. This adds longevity and durability to your fog lights, ensuring you can rely on them over many miles. Some may even be more durable thanks to their seals and able to survive other harsh conditions.
Color temperature is just as important as lumens or the brightness level of your LED fog lights. The color temperature is the hue, or tint, of the light that you see when your fog lights are turned on. Typically measured in Kelvins, LED bulbs around 3,000 Kelvins are warm (or yellow or amber); bulbs around 6,000 Kelvins and up are cool (or have a blue tint). You’ll find that most LED fog lights are around 5,000 Kelvins. Cool light tends to be just the right choice for foggy weather. However, amber or yellow color temperature can be less harsh on your eyes.
Low Heat Output
One factor contributing to LED fog lights' improved energy efficiency is the bulbs' lower heat output. It's a vital feature of these types of bulbs — they're able to shine brighter than halogen bulbs without generating as much heat. LED fog lights are designed to effectively disburse any heat they create thanks to unique "heat sinks" right at the base of the bulb assembly. Even if you choose higher-heat output bulbs, LED lights can have small cooling fans built into their bases to eliminate the excess heat.
- Fit. Before purchasing the best aftermarket fog lights for your vehicle, make sure to check the specifications and features in advance. You’ll want to make sure they will properly fit on your vehicle. For example, make sure the vehicle can supply enough current for the lights. You may also need a load resistor on some models.
- Longevity. Nothing's worse than having to continuously change your vehicle's light bulbs. It's expensive and can take some time. Many LED fog lights last for thousands of hours. You'll probably want to purchase a pair that lasts for a long time. Some even provide as much as 50,000 hours of lighting.
- Wattage. When you're purchasing fog lights, one important consideration is efficiency. Low-wattage lights use less power and therefore may be less capable. In general, the higher the wattage, the more intense the light. One good thing about LED fog lights is they can have a low wattage but still be very effective.
- Lumens/Voltage. The best LED fog light bulbs are rated by their lumens, while other types of fog lights are rated by voltage. Both lumens and voltage let you know how bright the lights will be. So, if you're looking for an LED fog light that is particularly bright, pay attention to the lumens rating.
- Cooling. Compared to halogen and HID bulbs, LED bulbs can produce a lot of heat. Some brands have heat dissipating features so that the bulbs don't get too hot. An 8,000-lumen LED bulb will produce much more heat than one that is 2,000 lumens, for example. You may want a cooling feature for safety.
- Beam Distance. Fog light bulbs have a variety of different patterns and beam distances. The aim is to find a set that reaches a good distance with a focused ray of light. They should have a wide horizontal range and a short vertical range. You don't want to blind other drivers or reflect light back into your own eyes.
- Installation. Ease of installation is key. You’ll want to avoid damaging the wires and other equipment in your vehicle. Top-rated fog lights often feature a plug-and-play system in which you connect the new bulb to the current circuit. If you don't know how to install the fog lights, consult a professional.
Best LED Fog Lights Reviews & Recommendations 2021
The Beamtech H11 LED Fog Light Bulb is brighter, more durable, and so easy to install. And it’s even more than just one LED bulb. It’s a set that includes two 30-watt LED bulbs with six SEOUL Z8Y19 high-power CSP chips. The bulbs are xenon white with 800 lumens and 320-degree lighting. They are 6-6,500k in color temperature, 12V to 24V, and have a lifespan of 10,000 working hours. The cold-pressed aluminum heat sink inside aids in reducing heat and maximizing bulb life. The bulbs are non-polarity in design and feature plug-and-play installation. A one-year warranty is included.
These lights are brighter than OEM options, are well-constructed, and produce a good, even beam pattern. They also offer a very clean cut-off. Unlike some other bulbs, the Beamtech bulbs run cool. They fit nicely in a stock housing with no heat sink to get in the way. They also don't bother drivers in front of you.
One downside is the bulbs may be a little hard to install into the housing, and the plastic clips are a bit weak. Also, there have been some complaints that the lights may produce a dark spot in the middle of the light output. The lights can also cause a malfunction code error on some vehicles, such as BMWs.
If you’re looking for LED fog lights that give you great value for the money you spend, the Nilight 18W 1260lm Spot Driving Fog Light is just the right choice. These lights come with an 18-watt LED light bar and adjustable mounting brackets. They offer a universal fit for all vehicles. The lights feature 1,260 lumens and die-cast aluminum alloy cooling fins, which extend the lifespan to over 30,000 hours. They are dustproof and waterproof in up to 3.3 feet of water for 30 minutes.
The lights are well-constructed, durable, bright, and provide great visibility in the rain and snow. The white light makes everything easy to see way down the road. They are very directional with a spot beam and are easy to install. The wiring is long enough to reach the factory fog light wiring harness plugs from the stock bumper mounting location.
One downside is the lights may be somewhat difficult to aim, and the bolts may break during installation. Also, water can leak into the lamps. You’ll need to purchase a wiring harness and mounting hardware separately. Finally, they may not be able to withstand vibration if installed on a motorcycle.
Looking for a simple LED solution for foggy weather? You’re going to love JDM ASTAR High Power H10 LED Fog Light Bulbs, which make it incredibly easy to add or upgrade your car’s fog lights with newer, brighter bulbs. These lights are 6,000K xenon white, and each bulb is 1,300 lumens. They operate at 10 watts and have a maximum capacity of 50 watts. The lights fit 9040, 9140, 9145, 9050, 9155, H10, are plug-and-play installation, and are covered under a one-year warranty.
These lights are easy to install, don't require any tools, and are well-constructed. They are also brighter than stock halogen fog lights. They enhance visibility and emit a crisp, clear white light without the blue tint you may encounter in other products. The lights shine low but fill in the dark areas nicely. They also provide a sleek LED look without blinding oncoming drivers or drawing attention from police for looking like off-road lights.
The housings of older vehicles or vehicles without factory LED lights may not project the lights correctly. The bulbs can also stop working after a short period of time and may not be bright enough for all driving conditions.
If it’s increased brightness you’re looking for in a set of quality LED fog lights, consider a pair of Alla Lighting H11 LED Fog Light Bulbs. This set of two ultra-bright LED fog light bulbs offers an impressive 1,400 lumens per bulb, giving you a total of 2,800 lumens to light up the foggy night sky and give you a clearer view of the road ahead of you. Each one is also built out of a premium aluminum material that allows them to cool more quickly when they aren’t in use. This also gives them a longer lifespan so you don't have to worry about changing them out so often.
They include 12 volts and 8.5 watts with 710 microamps, making them highly effective in dense fog and cloudy conditions. However, you will notice that due to the lower wattage amount, they aren’t all that bright.
Additionally, you’ll want to know that although these fog lights provide a great color, their power is lacking. Plus, they can be a hassle to install.
The VoRock8 8000 Lumens LED Fog Light Bulb is a set of two bulbs that’ll really impress. These are one of the most powerful LED fog lights to make our list. The VoRock8 fog lights come with 8000 lumens, making them the brightest as well. They also come as a set of two and fit most any vehicle you can think of, though you should always check to see if any fog light fits your car before purchasing them.
They are constructed out of a cold-pressed aviation grade aluminum with a built-in two-ball fan to control their heat dissipation. They are a 12-volt bulb as well with a 6500K diamond white color.
However, there have been issues related with the cooling fan not working properly, leaving the lights to turn off momentarily. You will also need to read the instructions as their polarity may need to be adjusted to ensure they function properly.
Looking for fog lights that can be used in more ways than one? You’re going to enjoy all of the versatility that iJDMTOY High power Bolt-On LED Fog Lights offer. This pair of two high-powered LED light bulbs offer a universal fit that’s made to suit just about any car, SUV, truck, or even motorcycle. Their bolt-on style makes them pretty easy to install, and though they’re small in size, they offer a powerful amount of light once they’re in place on your vehicle.
These fog lights are xenon white, with 1.5 watts and 6,000 Kelvins. They measure 0.97 x 0.75 inches in size, and you’ll get all of the screws and nuts you need for installation right in the box. But where these bulbs shine is their many uses: you can put them to work as LED fog lights — but they’ll also work as parking lights, puddle lights, and backup or reverse lights. You can even use them as interior lights.
A pair of Sylvania 9145 Zevo LED Twin Fog Lights will upgrade and brighten up your car's exterior. Meant to be a set of replacement bulbs for old halogen lights, these LEDs will work on just about any vehicle. However, you'll want to keep in mind that newer cars may require extra equipment — the added technology can make it a bit more complex than just plugging in and starting your vehicle.
Made with high-quality materials, these 9145 LED fog lights deliver 6,000K of bright white light. They're sharp and a perfect match for LED headlights. An angled design helps keep your bulbs cool, optimizing their performance and lengthening their lifespan.
Besides the wonderful brightness and rugged durability these fog lights offer, they're also backed by a five-year replacement warranty if they turn out to be defective. With a simple plug-and-play installation process, you'll be able to quickly determine how well they work on your vehicle.
Walfront High Power Fog Driving Light Bulbs are a pair of long-lasting replacement bulbs for your vehicle’s fog lights. These bulbs are built to last you many miles and many years. With a lifespan of up to 50,000 hours, these 12-volt, 15-watt bulbs will have you covered. They offer 6,000K of cool white light with a slight blue tint and deliver 1,800 lumens per bulb for a total of 3,600 lumens when turned on. Each bulb measures 2.5 x 0.9 inches in size.
Thanks to their energy-efficient construction, these LED fog lights can reduce your power consumption by 40 to 80 percent. They’re made with aluminum alloy and produce very little heat. Virtually unbreakable thanks to their PMMA lenses, these LEDs are impressive in their design.
However, they may not offer a completely universal fit, so make sure to double-check whether they’ll fit your vehicle.
The BriteLED LEDAccentz Fog Light Kit takes your driving and fog lights to new heights. This set of two fog light bars is meant to be an accent, or additional set of lights, to enhance your ability to see clearly in less-than-ideal driving conditions. These plug-and-play LED lights each feature two rows of bright white light, with eight LEDs per row for a total of 16 in each light. More energy-efficient than halogen bulbs and brighter, too, you’ll be able to see farther even when it’s densely foggy out.
These LED fog lights are designed to work on just about any vehicle — but you will feed a 12-volt DC application to install them. They do come with a harness and illuminated rocker switch, so you’ll have everything you need, plus adjustable mounts to direct light outputs. And, once they’re hardwired in place, they’ll offer you excellent durability over the long term.
- Don’t confuse fog lights with driving lights or brights. Even the brightest fog lights have limited range and are specifically intended for use in heavy fog or in driving conditions in which visibility is reduced.
- The best fog lights for snow, rain, and mist work best at low speeds. They offer the clearest visibility with shorter distances.
- To avoid bothering other drivers, turn off your fog lights when you approach another vehicle on the road. Just like when you dim your headlights, switch off your fog lights as a courtesy.
- Before placing an order, check your vehicle owner's manual to confirm your vehicle’s bulb size for fog lights.
- When installing your fog lights, mount them in a spot where they won't be damaged by a pothole or a low entrance to a driveway.
- After installing your fog lights, check them by shining them on a wall. Adjust the beam to make sure they angle low towards the ground.
- When purchasing fog lights, you may also need to buy a wiring harness if you want to use them on a toggle switch.
- With some lights, be careful not to twist them into place too hard, or you may snap the light shaft.
Q: How do fog lights work?
Fog lights have separate switches and bulbs. They can be placed on a vehicle's roof, bumper, or lower grille. They are usually angled downwards so the light doesn't reflect off the fog, snow, or rain and bounce back into your eyes.
Q: What is the best color for fog lights?
Some believe the best yellow fog light bulbs offer superior performance in heavy fog, rain, and snow because they have a longer wavelength than white light. There's also a theory that the yellow light causes less eye strain. However, it's a personal preference. Many drivers like white or slightly blue light instead of yellow.
Q: Do fog lights blind other motorists?
They can. Fog lights are very bright and can be very distracting to other drivers, particularly if they are not installed properly and are not pointing in the proper direction.
Q: Can I use fog lights on my motorcycle?
Fog lights can be installed on a variety of vehicles, including motorcycles, boats, ATVs, golf carts, and lawnmowers. Check the manufacturer’s recommendations before purchasing them.
Q: Are fog lights illegal?
Check your local ordinances. Depending on where you live, your town or city may have a law pertaining to the color of your fog lights. There may also be regulations on fog lights' location and other properties. For example, if the fog lights are aimed too high and/or are too bright, then they may not be legal.
If you’re looking for the best of the best when it comes to LED fog lights for your vehicle, we recommend the Beamtech H22 LED Fog Light Bulb. With improved efficiency and less heat output, plus a bright and even beam pattern, you’ll be able to see with great ease. If you’re hoping to save, you can also consider the Nilight 18W 1260lm Spot Driving Fog Light, which offers excellent value for the price.