Best LED Fog Lights: Shine Some Light in Foggy Weather
See better in inclement weather with these top-rated fog lights
TheDrive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
When it's difficult to see the road on foggy and stormy nights, relying on your vehicle's headlights may not be enough. Fortunately, there's a solution. Some of the top-rated fog lights enable you to get a clearer view of the driving environment, increasing your safety and peace of mind. Check out our reviews of the best fog lamps on the market.
- Best OverallBEAMTECH H11 Led Fog Light BulbSummarySummaryThese 30-watt xenon white bulbs are 6-6,500k in color temp, 800 lumens, and have a lifespan of 10,000 working hours. Installation is plug-and-play, and the bulbs include a one-year warranty.ProsProsThese lights are bright, well-constructed, and produce a good, even beam. They run cool, fit nicely in stock housing, and don't bother drivers in front of you.ConsConsThe bulbs may be hard to install. They may also produce a dark spot in the middle of the light output and can cause a malfunction code error.
- Best ValueNilight 2PCS 18W 1260lm Spot Driving Fog LightSummarySummaryThe lights feature 1,260 lumens and have a lifespan of over 30,000 hours. They are dustproof and waterproof in up to 3.3 feet of water for 30 minutes.ProsProsThe lights are well-constructed, durable, bright, and provide great visibility in the rain and snow. They are very directional with a spot beam and are easy to install.ConsConsThe lights can be difficult to aim, and the bolts may break during installation. They don't include a wiring harness or mounting hardware.
- Honorable MentionJDM ASTAR Extremely Bright 2600 Lumens Max 50W High Power H10 9145 LED Fog Light BulbsSummarySummaryThese lights are 6000K xenon white, and each bulb is 1,300 lumens. They have a maximum capacity of 50 watts, feature plug-and-play installation, and are covered under a one-year warranty.ProsProsThese lights are well-constructed, easy to install, and emit a crisp, clear white light. They are brighter than stock lights yet don't blind oncoming drivers.ConsConsThe lights may not project correctly in older vehicles or those without factory LED lights installed. They may also stop working over a short period of time.
Benefits of LED Fog Lights
- They keep you safe. The best fog lights for cars will give you greater visibility during bad weather and will also allow other motorists to see you better. Protect your passengers by making sure you install the best lights for fog on your vehicle.
- They're superior to halogen fog lights. The best-LED fog light bulbs are more energy-efficient than halogen bulbs. They also last longer and are ideal to use in poor weather conditions.
- They work better than headlights. Your vehicle's headlights may reflect fog and decrease visibility, even if they're high in quality. The brightest fog light bulbs will enable you to better see lane markers, traffic signs, and other motorists.
- They look cool. While they're intended to be used in adverse weather conditions, many drivers install them because it upgrades the look of their vehicles. If you like modifying your ride, this is one way to do it.
Philips & Co. was founded in Eindhoven, Netherlands, in 1891 by Gerard Philips and his father Frederik Philips. It soon became one of the world’s leading producers of light bulbs. One of its popular products is the Philips 12834UNIX2 X-tremeVision LED Fog Light.
Online retailer JDM ASTAR specializes in automotive LED technology for cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles, boats, RVs, and lawn mowers. It’s based in City of Industry, California. One of its top products is the JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright Max 50W High Power 880 LED Fog Light Bulbs for DRL or Fog Lights.
The concept for OPT7 was started in a small garage in California in the late 1990s. By 2006, the CEO and founder decided to build affordable aftermarket lights. One popular product is the OPT7 FluxBeam H10 LED Fog Light Kit w/Clear ARC-LENS Beam Bulbs.
ZNDER Inc., maker of the Nilight and six other brands, was established in 2015 in New Jersey. The company concentrates on LED work lights, LED light bars, LED emergency lighting, LED headlights, wiring harnesses, LED running lights, and more. One of its top products is the Nilight 2PCS 18W 1260lm Spot Driving Fog Light Off Road Led Lights Bar.
LED Fog Light Pricing
- Under $20: It's possible to purchase decent-quality fog lights for under $20, particularly if they're on sale.
- $20-$40: There are numerous fog lights in this price range that are easy to install and that produce a clean, crisp beam.
- Over $40: You can pay up to or over $100 for some brands of fog lights. They often have longer warranties but have many of the same features of less pricey products.
Built-In Fog Lights
Some vehicles come equipped with fog lights already installed. Usually, they use halogen lights, which are very common and quite affordable compared to LED fog lights. However, even the best halogen fog light bulbs don't last as long as the best LED fog light bulbs. Halogen bulbs are also not as bright as some other types of lights.
Aftermarket Fog Lights
If your vehicle does not come with standard fog lights, adding them is not very costly. Some come with kits that allow you to retrofit them. If you want a factory look, you may have to uninstall the bumper and add a special grille to your vehicle. Or you can purchase universal fog lights and pick a place to mount them, such as the grille or bumper.
- Fit: Before purchasing the best aftermarket fog lights for your vehicle, make sure to check the specifications and features in advance. You’ll want to make sure they will properly fit on your vehicle. For example, make sure the vehicle can supply enough current for the lights. You may also need a load resistor on some models.
- Longevity: Nothing's worse than having to continuously change your vehicle's light bulbs. It's expensive and can take some time. Many LED fog lights last for thousands of hours. You'll probably want to purchase a pair that lasts for a long time. Some even provide as much as 50,000 hours of lighting.
- Wattage: When you're purchasing fog lights, one important consideration is efficiency. Low-wattage lights use less power and therefore may be less capable. In general, the higher the wattage, the more intense the light. One good thing about LED fog lights is they can have a low wattage but still be very effective.
- Lumens/Voltage: The best LED fog light bulbs are rated by their lumens, while other types of fog lights are rated by voltage. Both lumens and voltage let you know how bright the lights will be. So, if you're looking for an LED fog light that is particularly bright, pay attention to the lumens rating.
- Cooling: Compared to halogen and HID bulbs, LED bulbs can produce a lot of heat. Some brands have heat dissipating features so that the bulbs don't get too hot. An 8,000-lumen LED bulb will produce much more heat than one that is 2,000 lumens, for example. You may want a cooling feature for safety.
- Beam Distance: Fog light bulbs have a variety of different patterns and beam distances. The aim is to find a set that reaches a good distance with a focused ray of light. They should have a wide horizontal range and a short vertical range. You don't want to blind other drivers or reflect light back into your own eyes.
- Installation. Ease of installation is key. You’ll want to avoid damaging the wires and other equipment in your vehicle. Top-rated fog lights often feature a plug-and-play system in which you connect the new bulb to the current circuit. If you don't know how to install the fog lights, consult a professional.
Best LED Fog Lights Reviews & Recommendations 2019
Best LED Fog Lights Overall: BEAMTECH H11 Led Fog Light Bulb
This set includes two 30-watt LED bulbs with six SEOUL Z8Y19 high power CSP chips. The bulbs are xenon white with 800 lumens and 320-degree lighting. They are 6-6,500k in color temperature, 12V to 24V, and have a lifespan of 10,000 working hours. The cold-pressed aluminum heat sink inside aids in reducing heat and maximizing bulb life. The bulbs are non-polarity in design and feature plug-and-play installation. A one-year warranty is included.
These lights are brighter than OEM options, are well-constructed, and produce a good, even beam pattern. They also offer a very clean cut off. Unlike some other bulbs, the Beamtech bulbs run cool. They fit nicely in stock housing with no heat sink to get in the way. They also don't bother drivers in front of you.
One downside is the bulbs may be a little hard to install into the housing, and the plastic clips are a bit weak. Also, there have been some complaints that the lights may produce a dark spot in the middle of the light output. The lights can also cause a malfunction code error on some vehicles, such as BMWs.
Best Value LED Fog Lights: Nilight 2PCS 18W 1260lm Spot Driving Fog Light
These lights come with an 18-watt LED light bar and adjustable mounting brackets. They offer a universal fit for all vehicles. The lights feature 1,260 lumens and die-cast aluminum alloy cooling fins, which extend the lifespan to over 30,000 hours. They are dustproof and waterproof in up to 3.3 feet of water for 30 minutes.
The lights are well-constructed, durable, bright, and provide great visibility in the rain and snow. The white light makes everything easy to see way down the road. They are very directional with a spot beam and are easy to install. The wiring is long enough to reach the factory fog light wiring harness plugs from the stock bumper mounting location.
One downside is the lights may be somewhat difficult to aim, and the bolts may break during installation. Also, water can leak into the lamps. You’ll need to purchase a wiring harness and mounting hardware separately. Finally, they may not be able to withstand vibration if installed on a motorcycle.
Best LED Fog Lights Honorable Mention: JDM ASTAR Extremely Bright 2600 Lumens Max 50W High Power H10 9145 LED Fog Light Bulbs
These lights are 6,000K xenon white, and each bulb is 1,300 lumens. They operate at 10 watts and have a maximum capacity of 50 watts. The lights fit 9040, 9140, 9145, 9050, 9155, H10, are plug-and-play installation, and are covered under a one-year warranty.
These lights are easy to install, don't require any tools, and are well-constructed. They are also brighter than stock halogen fog lights. They enhance visibility and emit a crisp, clear white light without the blue tint you may encounter in other products. The lights shine low but fill in the dark areas nicely. They also provide a sleek LED look without blinding oncoming drivers or drawing attention from police for looking like off-road lights.
The housings of older vehicles or vehicles without factory LED lights may not project the lights correctly. The bulbs can also stop working after a short period of time and may not be bright enough for all driving conditions.
- Don’t confuse fog lights with driving lights or brights. Even the brightest fog lights have limited range and are specifically intended for use in heavy fog or in driving conditions in which visibility is reduced.
- The best fog lights for snow, rain, and mist work best at low speeds. They offer the clearest visibility with shorter distances.
- To avoid bothering other drivers, turn off your fog lights when you approach another vehicle on the road. Just like when you dim your headlights, switch off your fog lights as a courtesy.
- Before placing an order, check your vehicle owner's manual to confirm your vehicle’s bulb size for fog lights.
- When installing your fog lights, mount them in a spot where they won't be damaged by a pothole or a low entrance to a driveway.
- After installing your fog lights, check them by shining them on a wall. Adjust the beam to make sure they angle low towards the ground.
- When purchasing fog lights, you may also need to buy a wiring harness if you want to use them on a toggle switch.
- With some lights, be careful not to twist them into place too hard, or you may snap the light shaft.
Q: How do fog lights work?
A: Fog lights have separate switches and bulbs. They can be placed on a vehicle's roof, bumper, or lower grille. They are usually angled downwards so the light doesn't reflect off the fog, snow, or rain and bounce back into your eyes.
Q: What is the best color for fog lights?
A: Some believe the best yellow fog light bulbs offer superior performance in heavy fog, rain, and snow because they have a longer wavelength than white light. There's also a theory that the yellow light causes less eye strain. However, it's a personal preference. Many drivers like white or slightly blue light instead of yellow.
Q: Do fog lights blind other motorists?
A: They can. Fog lights are very bright and can be very distracting to other drivers, particularly if they are not installed properly and are not pointing in the proper direction.
Q: Can I use fog lights on my motorcycle?
A: Fog lights can be installed on a variety of vehicles, including motorcycles, boats, ATVs, golf carts, and lawn mowers. Check the manufacturer’s recommendations before purchasing them.
Q: Are fog lights illegal?
A: Check your local ordinances. Depending on where you live, your town or city may have a law pertaining to the color of your fog lights. There may also be regulations on fog lights' location and other properties. For example, if the fog lights are aimed too high and/or are too bright, then they may not be legal.
Our pick for the best fog light is the BEAMTECH H11 Led Fog Light Bulb. The lights run cool, produce a good, even beam pattern, and offer a very clean cut off.
For a less pricey option, consider the Nilight 2PCS 18W 1260lm Spot Driving Fog Light.
- RELATEDBest LED Road Flares: Our Top Picks for Roadside SafetyInvest in your roadside safety with our top LED flare picksREAD NOW
- RELATEDBest Road Flares: Our Top Picks to Keep Your Car SafeBe safe during roadside emergencies with these top road safety flaresREAD NOW
- RELATEDBest All-Season Wiper Blades: Our Top Picks for All-Weather ProtectionOur top picks for optimizing visibility in harsh weather conditionsREAD NOW
- RELATEDBest Car Window Cleaners: Bring Clarity to Your DriveClear your windows with our top picks for the best auto glass cleanerREAD NOW
- RELATEDBest Driving Gloves: Increase Your Driving Style and PerformanceImprove your driving and style with these amazing driving glovesREAD NOW