Best GPS Speedometers: Efficiently Monitor Your Driving Speeds
Using a GPS speedometer helps you drive at the required speeds
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
When driving, you must be aware of the speed at which you are moving. The recommended maximum driving speed varies from place to place. A GPS speedometer displays your driving speed so you know what speed you are driving and can adjust accordingly. This gadget is an excellent addition to your vehicle that enables you to drive more efficiently. Below are some of the best GPS speedometers available.
This GPS speedometer has a 2.2-inch LCD screen that also displays speed, mileage, direction, altitude, and the time. It works with all vehicles.
It features plug-and-play installation, and it's very small on your dashboard. It powers up quickly, the screen is easy to read, and it's reasonably-priced.
It may stop working prematurely, and the speed may not be 100 percent accurate. Some have had problems sticking it to the dashboard with the adhesive.
If you are looking for an economical speedometer that will still work perfectly, consider this one from LeaningTech. It features a green digital display on a black background for enhanced visibility. The gadget displays speeds in mph or kph and features a simple push-button for setting it up.
This device is out-of-the-box ready for plug-and-play installation, saving you time. It features an auto-adjust brightness sensor to ensure easy reading during the day or nighttime driving. Also, it’s over-speed alarm beeps for three seconds while flashing to ensure you are warned when speeding.
A significant lag by this speedometer to detect changes in small speeds may lead to inaccurate readings. It also erases all the data once turned off and does not remember the last trip’s data.
This GPS speedometer displays the vehicle's current speed and total mileage. It has a black faceplate and red backlight and can be mounted on or below the dashboard.
It's a good-quality gadget and is fairly simple to install. It is waterproof, dustproof, and is designed so it doesn't fog up. The company provides a one-year warranty.
It may take awhile for the unit to acquire a GPS signal. It periodically loses the connection and may not work well (or at all) if it doesn't have a clear view of the sky.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of GPS Speedometers
- Avoid tickets. No matter what type of vehicle you drive, you may inadvertently surpass the speed limit from time to time. A GPS speedometer ensures that you're obeying local traffic laws.
- Avoid costly repairs. If your vehicle's internal speedometer breaks or stops working, it can be costly to repair. Instead of spending a lot of money on an OEM replacement, purchase an aftermarket GPS speedometer instead.
- Versatility. Many GPS speedometers display more than just driving speed. They also output mileage, voltage, engine RPM, and much more. Some even have advanced features such as brake performance tests.
Types of GPS Speedometers
This type of GPS speedometer is intended to directly replace the unit that's currently in your vehicle, motorcycle, boat, etc. It's a round gauge, and you need to check the dimensions to make sure that it will fit properly in your dashboard panel. Most of these GPS speedometers are fairly basic when it comes to the features they provide.
HUD (Heads Up Display)
This type of speedometer is usually mounted on top of or underneath the dashboard. It can be round or rectangular in shape, and you don't need to remove your old speedometer for it to work. Some project driving data on the windshield, while others simply display it on the unit itself. Typically, these devices have numerous functions and modes to provide information such as engine RPM, water temperature, battery voltage, etc.
GPS Speedometer Pricing
- $30-$80: Many GPS speedometers are reasonably-priced. Those on the lower end of the spectrum tend to have fewer features and are more simple in operation. More advanced units have a variety of modes and can be more complex when it comes to the interface.
- $80 and up: Full system setups, such as the MOTOR METER RACING W Pro Series 6 Gauge Set GPS Speedometer, can be very costly. But they feature several gauges and are designed to create a custom look on your vehicle.
Many GPS speedometers are compatible with nearly all vehicles as well as motorcycles, ATVs, boats, etc. Many of them are plug-and-play installations, and you simply insert the cord into an auxiliary plug or a USB port for operation. However, some options/models only work on newer vehicles, so make sure to check before making a purchase.
If you're purchasing a GPS speedometer to directly replace a broken internal speedometer, it's critical that you check the dimensions to ensure that it fits properly into the dashboard panel. As for HUD units, they are designed to be small, but some are less conspicuous than others. Choose one that will not distract you if it's in your line of sight.
The whole reason for purchasing a GPS speedometer is to determine the exact speed that your vehicle is traveling. While all brands strive to be as accurate as possible, some are better than others. Also, some devices receive stronger signals than their rivals and are less likely to drop a signal.
Look for units that are made out of good-quality materials. Some are more durable than others because they are dustproof and waterproof. Others have anti-fog properties. The best way to determine if a device is well-built is by reading customer reviews and seeing what they say about the product's longevity.
- Added Features: Many GPS speedometers do much more than just calculate the driving speed. Several brands have high-tech features that alert you to the engine's RPM, battery voltage, and even the altitude in which you're traveling. These added features can be very convenient and keep you on the pulse when it comes to your vehicle's operation.
- Appearance: If you're a car enthusiast, your vehicle’s aesthetics are very important. Some built-in GPS speedometers have very sleek designs and can really make your car's dashboard pop. There are also some HUD units that are pretty cool-looking. Or you may choose to get a device that’s small and unobtrusive so it doesn’t spoil the clean lines of your car’s interior.
Best GPS Speedometers Reviews & Recommendations 2020
- Position your GPS speedometer in a strategic location where you can easily read it. Accessing the readings enables you to tell the speed at which you are driving. You can then adjust your speed if necessary.
- Ensure that your speedometer lights are working when driving at night. The lights help enhance the device’s readability. With increased visibility, you can accurately tell your driving speed, enabling you to drive safely and efficiently.
- Avoid exposing your speedometer to a lot of moisture. High moisture levels cause mist on the display, which inhibits clear visibility. Once its readability is compromised, you cannot accurately tell your driving speed.
Q: Do GPS speedometers have internal batteries?
A: Some GPS speedometers have batteries, while others do not. Inquire about the specific model you intend to buy if you prefer one with a battery.
Q: Is it possible to adjust the GPS antenna on a speedometer?
A: Yes, you can adjust your GPS antenna to the length that you prefer. The maximum length is, however, dependent on your particular device.
Q: Which is the best position to mount the GPS antenna on my car?
A: You should place the antenna in a position where it uninterruptedly faces the sky. This enables it to draw information from the satellite for accurate readings.
The TIMPROVE T600 Universal Car HUD Head Up Display Digital GPS Speedometer is our top pick. It displays much more than just the vehicle's speed and is very simple to install. It's also really easy to read in the daytime as well as at night.
Our best value pick is the LeaningTech Original Digital Universal Car HUD GPS Speedometer, which is very affordable. Its display is well-calibrated and gives accurate readings.