Best Car Battery Testers: Keep Your Car Battery Healthy
Basic and advanced testers you can use to maintain your battery
TheDrive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Knowing the health of your car battery can be helpful if you want to avoid being stranded from a dead battery. Car battery testers are simple tools that read the power level of a typical 12-volt battery so you know when it's time to recharge or replace it. Some testers can be quite complex, so here's some helpful information you need to know.
- Best OverallTT Topdon Car Battery TesterSummarySummaryA simple, easy-to-use car battery tester with a large display for testing the battery power of any car battery.ProsProsDetailed readout that presents a lot of information on the battery. It can be connected with a computer to transfer the data for a more detailed analysis.ConsConsThe interior battery of the tester has been known to arrive nearly dead. The included data on the display can be confusing the first time you use it.
- Best ValueAUTDER Car Battery TesterSummarySummaryOne of the best budget car battery testers that packs a lot of functionality in a simple and basic screen setup.ProsProsQuality feel and construction for a low price. The operation is fairly straightforward, especially when using the basic instructions.ConsConsReading a vehicle's alternator can be difficult or inaccurate with this tester.
- Honorable MentionLEICESTERCN 6V 12V 24V Battery TesterSummarySummaryA unique battery tester that is small in design and accurate with its general readouts.ProsProsThe large display presents information in an easy-to-understand manner that doesn't offer much else but the most important things.ConsConsSome types of information, like the amperage, can be difficult to find and set up in the tester's menus.
- You can use a car battery tester to diagnose potential issues with the battery and its performance.
- Some testers offer advanced readouts that present more information about the battery's health and overall performance.
Q. Is a battery tester simple to read?
A. With the right display screen and user manual, it's pretty simple to use a tester to read the power level of any battery. Some testers, however, do offer more advanced readouts and functions that may have a learning curve.
Q. How do I connect a battery tester?
A. Most testers are designed to connect directly to the battery terminals where it can complete the circuit with the battery itself.
Q. Are battery testers accurate?
A. Accuracy varies from tester to tester. In general, accuracy tends to increase with higher price tags.
When you need a lot of accuracy and information related to your car battery, the TT Topdon Car Battery Tester is hard to beat.
The AUTDER Car Battery Tester is also an excellent option when you can live with a smaller screen and basic functionality.
Do you have a favorite car battery tester? Tell us about it in the comments below.