2020 Toyota 86 Hakone Edition Is Painted in Gorgeous British Racing Green and Headed to the US
Or is it Japanese Racing Green? Is that even a thing?
Back in February, Toyota unveiled the Japan-only 86 British Green Limited Edition. Now, the automaker is bringing what is, as far as we can tell, the exact same car to the U.S. as the 86 Hakone Edition.
Named after Japan's famous Hakone Turnpike, this special edition 86 gets bronze 17-inch wheels, a tan interior, a black spoiler, and that cool, dark green paint job Toyota calls here Hakone Green. It can rebrand itself all it wants but who are we kidding? It's British Racing Green. (Is Japanese Racing Green a thing?)
Hakone Edition owners also get matching tan stitching, a tan key holder, folio cover, and the satisfaction of owning a much rarer version of Toyota's rear-drive sports car.
Everything else is lifted straight off the GT-trim 86 including the 2.0-liter Boxer-four making 205 horsepower and 156 pound-feet of torque, either a six-speed manual or automatic transmission, push-button start, heated seats, and dual-zone climate control. The Hakone 86 also features LED headlights and fog lights.
Located just a couple of hours away from Tokyo, the Hakone Turnpike is a private toll road that snakes through the mountains via many long, gorgeous bends. It's a regular destination for many Japanese gearheads and has drawn comparisons to the Nürburgring Nordschleife...although that might come to an end once Toyota is finished building its Toyotaring.
2020 will mark the 86's eighth model year on the market. A successor is reportedly being co-developed with Subaru and could be based on Toyota's New Global Architecture.
Meanwhile, the 2020 Toyota 86 Hakone Edition will be available this fall.
- RELATEDCould the Next Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ Come With Toyota’s TNGA Platform?According to a report by Motoring, the Toyobaru twins are heading toward the Lexus LC500 platform.READ NOW
- RELATEDToyota Is Quietly Building Its Own Japanese NürburgringIt’s called the Toyota Technical Center Shimoyama, but really, it’s the Toyotaring.READ NOW
- RELATEDToyota Adds British Racing Green to the 86's International PortfolioUnfortunately, the paint option will only be available in Japan for a limited time.READ NOW
- RELATEDScion FR-S, Subaru BRZ Owners Claim a Recall Fix Is Destroying Their Engines (Updated)More owners are reporting problems now than during the actual recall period.READ NOW
- RELATEDCenter for Auto Safety Demands Toyota, Subaru Stop Recalling FR-S, BRZ After Numerous Problems (Updated)Nearly 50 post-recall engine failures have been reported so far—one of which involved a fire. Every vehicle had reportedly been "fixed."READ NOW