Sweet Mother of God, the 2016 Chevy COPO Camaro…
The video evidence you’ve been waiting to see.
This is not a car. It is GM part number 20169562, one of just 69 in existence. The package, and its guts, are decidedly old school. Built three-speed Turbo 400 trans. Solid rear axle. Oil drum rear slicks and a rollcage, too, because you’ll need those to compete in NHRA Stock and Super Stock Eliminator classes. There are three engines available: a supercharged 350cid and Corvette-based 376 stroker, plus an all-motor 427 LSX. No, this is not a car. It is thenew COPO, a pile of aluminum and testosterone and bare knuckle fisticuffs that somewhat resembles a 2016 Chevrolet Camaro. It has side-exit exhausts and a parachute. It does wheelies.
Recently, we learned more than5,500 people tried to order a COPO. The first example wasauctioned at Barrett-Jackson in January for $300,000. Now we know why. Watch the video below. If you’re not immediately awash in both burning desire and abject terror, you’re either a sociopath or fascist or possibly both. Listen to that noise, and tell me it’s not a good day to be alive in America. I dare you.
- RELATEDAsk The Drive: Why is America Obsessed With the 1969 Camaro?The answer involves the FTC, Hot Wheels, and the future of car culture in this country.READ NOW
- RELATEDCamaro Beats Mustang: Here’s WhyThe Drive’s chief auto critic explains his controversial stance in the muscle-car wars.READ NOW
- RELATEDCamaro, Mustang and the New Golden Age of American Muscle CarsPerpetrators of unspeakable Malaise Era crimes come home to roost… and do burnouts.READ NOW
- RELATEDIs a Camaro Most Bitchin’ With a V-6?Critics’ Notebook for Jan. 26, 2015.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew COPO Camaro Debuts at SEMA, Is Totally SEMABig supercharger, solid rear axle, hideous graphics. Vegas, baby.READ NOW