Formula 1 and Complex Introduce Rapper A$AP Ferg to the Sport in New Web Show
Formula One partnered with hypebeast-centric website Complex for "The Pit," a five-part series that highlights an F1 team and driver per episode.
Anyone who's ever gone down a long enough Formula 1 video rabbit hole has probably come across the Lewis Hamilton episode of "Sneaker Shopping," but gird your loins, hypebeasts, as F1 wants to add a few more Supreme product placements with an all-new show with Complex, A$AP Ferg, and access to the sport's teams and drivers.
Formula 1 announced a partnership with the culture website Complex to produce "The Pit," a five-episode web series hosted by rapper A$AP Ferg that promises "a literal ride through the mechanics of the sport."
Each episode features a team and a driver from the current 2019 season, including Kimi Räikkönen, Carlos Sainz Jr., Lando Norris, and Daniel Ricciardo. Ferg will also face F1-related challenges throughout the series, such as trying to master the track while writing a fresh rap in Budapest in a McLaren 720S.
It looks like The Pit will be more a culture-oriented look at the sport than the in-depth analysis that hardcore existing F1 fans typically crave, but it still looks pretty fun, and Ferg is clearly living his #blessed best life.
While this may seem like an unusual partnership to The Olds™, it actually makes some sense given the number of sneakerheads I spot at the United States Grand Prix every year. These are people who exist seemingly in spite of the fact that Circuit of the Americas' dirt paths turn into mud early, often, and have the potential to destroy their Craig Sagar Air Jordan 1s. That hypebeast life clearly doesn't stop even for wet-weather red flags. Either way, Formula One wants a younger audience, and Complex has it.
This also wouldn't be the first time Complex took on a project that might appeal beyond your garden-variety hypebeast. The wildly popular food show "First We Feast" and its spin-off "Hot Ones," after all, are a couple of their other programs. So, I'm at least optimistic that they're going to show A$AP Ferg a good time in some fast cars, and hopefully hook a few new fans in the process. God only knows the sport needs it with all the white-haired, helicopter-riding bougie attendees that former Formula 1 head-honcho Bernie Ecclestone loved to cater toward.
- RELATEDTop 10 Driving Moments of the 2018 Formula 1 SeasonNo matter who you root for, the 2018 Formula 1 season had some classic moments sure to be revisited for years to come.READ NOW
- RELATEDCharles Leclerc Claims Inaugural Formula 1 Victory at Spa in Emotional Tribute to Fallen RacerLeclerc explained that the win was bittersweet following the death of his childhood friend and racing compatriot Anthoine Hubert on Saturday.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a Mercedes-AMG Formula 1 Car Break Sonoma Raceway's Lap RecordThe previous lap record was set by IndyCar champion Josef Newgarden, and the time difference will shock you.READ NOW
- RELATEDModern Formula 1 Car's Braking Forces So Brutal It'll Extract Tears From Your Eyes, Report SaysDrivers also reportedly lose 40 percent of their brain function over the length of a Grand Prix.READ NOW
- RELATEDFormula 1's 2019 Theme Song by The Chemical Brothers Has Us Scratching Our HeadsThe music video features a dog that's given robotic arms and taught how to drive an F1 car, only for the government to send it to outer space.READ NOW