Best Car Batteries For Hot Weather: Top Picks for Summer Temps
These top batteries are work well in hotter weather
A lot of us love summertime. The sun, beach trips, and warm weather help to create some of our best memories. However, high temperatures can wreak havoc on our vehicles and drain our car’s battery faster than in other conditions. Our buying guide below will help you choose the right battery for your vehicle so it operates properly during hot weather.
Odyssey Automotive and LTV Battery
When compared to conventional deep-cycle batteries, this battery has a longer life cycle. It is very temperature tolerant, from the coldest nights to the hottest days.
- Battery has a service life of approximately 3-10 years
- Has plates made of pure virgin lead
- More of these plates mean more power for your vehicle
- Battery will not work with certain vehicles
- For certain makes and models, you may have to purchase an Odyssey charger as well in order to charge the battery every couple of weeks
ACDelco Professional BCI Group 48 Battery
Featuring a long operating life and the ability to stay cool in warm settings, this is a valuable summer battery. Its vent cap prevents overheating even with continual use. The tough casing and strong internal separator prevent leaks for long-term performance.
- Battery uses a unique chemical circulating method
- Helps the system stay cool despite warm ambient temperatures
- Efficient electrical conduction provides a long battery life
- During cold snaps, the battery may struggle to retain a charge
- Though it performs well when running, the battery’s overall lifespan can end after a couple of years
- Works best in warm weather
Optima Batteries RedTop Starting Battery
This battery can withstand critical temperatures and humidity. It has a good starting burst and reliably starts up every time. It is a faster charging battery. It is 15 times more resistant to vibration for durability.
- This 6-volt battery has a 100-minute capacity for constant performance
- Unique spiral-cell design is made to equip your vehicle with a clean power source
- In some cases, the batteries have only lasted for a couple of weeks
- Some have complained that the warranty is not honored.
Benefits of Car Batteries for Hot Weather
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more
- Additional engine power. Replacing a car battery ignites the plug much stronger and stabilizes the supply of electricity much better and faster than an old battery.
- Prevents sudden dead battery. Replacing the car battery eliminates any worry that your car suddenly won’t start due to a dead battery.
Types of Car Batteries for Hot Weather
This type of car battery offers some of the strongest power for small vehicles and can provide sustained power over a longer period of time compared to other battery types. Deep cycle batteries are ideal for small recreational vehicles, golf carts, and marine vehicles.
This is the most common battery used in vehicles on the road today. They’re suitable for a wide range of hybrids and electric cars. Lithium-ion batteries can store a significant amount of energy at a fraction of the weight compared to most lead-acid batteries. However, these types of car batteries feature a shorter battery life, and you’ll typically need to replace your car battery around every three years.
These are also commonly referred to as “flooded” batteries because they contain liquid. Wet cell batteries are one of the least expensive car batteries for hot weather, which is a huge advantage to most consumers. However, they don’t typically provide a long cycle life compared to other batteries, and some also require regular maintenance to prevent lost electrolytes.
Optima is a reputable company that launched in 1995 and produces a range of high-quality batteries, including those for cars and home use. A key feature of this brand is its dry cell technology. This technology ensures that the car battery remains long-lasting, even in high temperatures. From this brand, we recommend the Optima Batteries RedTop Starting Battery. This device delivers high power and is extremely resistant to the most common causes of battery failure.
Odyssey creates batteries that can handle many applications and vehicles that have a high-performance demand. Its batteries are ideal for daily use and feature all the power and endurance you need to get you through. We recommend the Odyssey Automotive and LTV Battery. This product offers a three- to 10-year service life. Unlike many other car batteries designed for hot weather, this battery features a non-spillage, mounting flexible design for safety and convenience.
XS Power car batteries are affordable and efficient. These high-powered car batteries are long-lasting and feature everything you need for drag racing to boat racing. From its selection of batteries, we recommend the XS Power D3400 12V Battery. It’s compatible with a wide range of vehicles from 12-16V models.
Best Car Batteries for Hot Weather Pricing
- $20-$50: In this price range, the car battery will be heavy and not as reliable as more expensive devices. The battery will also feature non-corrosion materials.
- $50-$150: High-performing car batteries in this price range work even in the summer heat, and they’re generally spill-proof.
- $150 and up: The most expensive car batteries have the highest reserve capacity and feature the highest possible amps, making the device durable and reliable.
Ampere Hour (Ah)
This is one of the most important features when it comes to buying a car battery for hot weather. A higher Ah number means the battery can maintain a load for lengthy periods. As a result, the battery will run out less frequently. This additional feature comes at an extra cost, so bear this in mind.
We don’t recommend purchasing a car battery without a warranty to provide you with added peace of mind. Consider checking what’s covered with the warranty, too. Some companies offer a free replacement, while others will happily give you a portion of the money you paid for the product. You should also consider the level of customer service, especially if you’re inexperienced with mechanical tools.
The battery’s power capacity is usually referred to as CA, or cranking amp. The cranking amp is referred to as the energy that the battery needs to start the vehicle. If you’re looking for a battery to work in hot weather, opt for a car battery with a low CA to ensure it works.
- Battery Size. Car batteries are available in a range of lengths, widths, and heights. Check your car owner’s manual or consult a mechanic to make note of the correct dimensions of your car battery. The correct size prevents the battery from becoming damaged due to vibrations.
- Reserve Capacity. This feature refers to the amount of time the battery can run on its own power without the engine before it stops working. A high reserve capacity prevents your battery from dying due to situations such as accidentally leaving your lights on, a noncompliant engine, and other factors. You should opt for at least 10 hours as a minimum for your own peace of mind.
- Maintenance. Believe it or not, some car batteries require maintenance, while others are maintenance-free. The maintenance-free car battery is typically sealed and doesn’t require any replacements. Alternatively, a low-maintenance battery is typically unsealed and requires you to occasionally add water. As a result, these are generally the cheapest options, though you need to be vigilant in maintaining them.
Best Car Batteries for Hot Weather Reviews & Recommendations 2021
The Odyssey Automotive and LTV Battery has a 70 percent longer cycle life compared to conventional deep cycle batteries. This battery can last up to 400 cycles at 80 percent depth of discharge—even in hot weather.
Once you’ve finished using the device, it reaches a 100 percent recharge within 4-6 hours. This charging time makes it one of the most efficient batteries on the market right now. The battery is also designed to protect itself against high-impact shock and mechanical vibrations.
If purchasing this battery, it’s important to consider that many customers reported it isn’t long lasting. More significantly, there didn’t seem to be an obvious fault with the battery, which led to many customers in dire need during an emergency.
The ACDelco Professional BCI Group 48 Battery employs an internal partition to prevent spills. Coupled with its well-ventilated design, this battery provides excellent performance. It uses a dense negative paste to increase the battery’s life. This solution lets electricity flow unencumbered, maximizing the power it offers.
Another key benefit is this battery’s effective method of circulating acid. It prevents overheating despite continual use and warm conditions. By incorporating a unique cap, the battery avoids leaks and spills. It also has a sturdy exterior that prevents damage from vibrations and impact.
This battery works best in warm settings. It can be tricky to charge in colder temperatures. With that in mind, it’s ideally suited to summer use. However, provided you keep it warm by parking indoors in cold weather, it is a reliable choice.
The Optima Batteries RedTop Starting Battery is capable of reserving a capacity of 100 minutes for constant performance, so it's ready to work in emergency situations. This device features a polypropylene case that is optimized to work even in extremely bad weather conditions.
This battery is perfect for heavy use, thanks to its leak-proof and high power qualities. It also provides a strong and clean power source with improved safety features for you and the environment.
However, there have been some difficulties with the warranty coverage offered by the manufacturer. Consider this when you make a purchase.
The Optima RedTop Starting Battery is compact yet powerful and heavy-duty. It provides 12 volts of power and is cleverly designed to fit in tight secure spaces. The little battery is capable of providing around 720 cold cranking amps and features dual SAE and GM posts for maximum output and power.
Of course when it comes to batteries, you will want to keep an eye on the amount of reserve capacity they have, too. The Optima RedTop includes about 90 minutes of backup power that can be tapped into. It is also designed to function in all types of weather. No matter if it’s cold, rainy, snowy, or hot outside, the battery is dependable. One of its best features is that it is rated to be 15 times more resistant to vibrations while traveling.
For a smaller battery, it is going to be quite heavy. It weighs around 33 pounds, which can make it much more difficult to lug around and install. The battery is also rather expensive when you compare it to others available on the market.
ACDelco is one of the most reliable and best known makers of vehicle accessories and components. Its ACDelco Advantage AGM Automotive Battery is robust and provides up to 12 volts of power for your vehicle. It’s built to handle large trucks, vans, and SUVs, and works great for small compact cars as well.
If you’re looking for a battery that is built to withstand bumps and vibrations, then consider this one. It is also built with calcium alloy, which makes it run smoother and extends its life. This also reduces the amount of water consumption and increases the batteries overall durability. It is optimized to perform at its peak when in temperatures between 32 and 70 degrees Fahrenheit.
While it may not be the most expensive battery on our list, it is up there when it comes to how much you’ll spend. The battery may also be a bit more difficult to install due to its larger and taller size. Watching an installation video on YouTube will help make sure it fits properly and securely.
The Odyssey Automotive and LTV Battery is a great replacement battery for any vehicle. It includes around 330 cold cranking amps. It’s also one of the best batteries when it comes to its lifespan. Odyssey rates its car batteries will last around three to 10 years longer than other brands, or 70 percent longer. That makes a difference if you are traveling, hauling heavy equipment, or running a lot of power in your car.
The Odyssey Automotive and LTV Battery is also set to provide around 400 cycles at 80 percent depth of discharge. Plus, it is built to recharge much more quickly than other conventional deep cycle batteries. Odyssey claims it can be fully charged in around four to six hours. It has a reserve capacity of 52 minutes.
The battery isn’t the most expensive, nor is it exactly cheap. It is mid-priced, but there are batteries that are far pricier. There have also been reports that the battery posts may be on opposite sides when compared to older models. This can really make things confusing when installing the battery in your car.
Perhaps the most powerful battery of the lot, this XS Power Series High Output Battery is incredibly mighty. Set at a premium price range, the XS Power Series has 12 volts of power, 1,000 cold cranking amps, and 65 Ah. It’s an absorbed glass mat battery and built to be spill proof due to its sealed design.
The large and hefty battery is also constructed to better withstand vibrations and bumps. It’s also universally designed to be mounted in just about any position you so choose. If your vehicle doesn’t have enough space to fit it one way, you may want to consider trying another way.
However, as we stated earlier, the battery is heavy, weighing close to 50 pounds. This will make it much more awkward and straining to mount in place, especially if the space you are looking at is tight. You may also need larger bolts or clamps to hold it in place due to its larger size.
The NorthStar AGM Marine Battery is a 12-volt battery that is built to power just about anything you have in mind. It is designed as a quick-start battery that cycles more than 900 times to 50 percent depth of discharge. As a premium level battery, it is also built with faster and more reliant charge and recharge times.
Whether you’re needing it to power your car, SUV, go-kart, boat, or speaker system, the battery is capable and dependable. All of its power and weight makes it much more capable at starting, too. It doesn’t matter if you live in a warmer climate or colder climate—the battery will run smoothly and effectively each time.
However, like our previously mentioned battery, this one is incredibly heavy. It actually weighs around 72 pounds, which will make it more awkward to install or mount properly by yourself. Another issue is found in its price. Due to its immense power and size, it is going to set you back quite a bit.
- It is important to test your car’s battery, as it will help you determine the life of your battery. Most automotive service centers will be able to do this for you.
- Make certain that your battery connections are clean and corrosion-free. This will be helpful if you ever have to jump-start your vehicle.
- Pay attention to the battery’s manufacture date. This will give you an idea of how old your battery is and when it may be time to purchase a new one.
Q: What drains my battery faster?
There are various things that can drain your car’s battery faster, especially in hotter weather. This includes running the air conditioning frequently and overuse of power windows.
Q: Will my radiator fan cause a strain on my battery?
Yes, in the hot weather, especially in the summer, your radiator fan can cause a strain on your vehicle’s battery. It also can push your alternator to its limit.
Q: How long will my car battery last?
Ideally, car batteries can last up to five years. But it all depends on the make and model of the battery.