The Best Air Hose Fittings (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Stop monkeying around with leaky connections
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Hank O'Hop / LAST UPDATED ON December 27, 2020
The opportunity to use power tools instead of your hands is something you never want to take for granted, but a power tool is only useful if you have the means to run it. Otherwise, it’s nothing but an overengineered paperweight. In this case, we are focusing on the fittings that allow you to run pneumatic tools. If you have any intention of running air-powered equipment, you are going to need them. The good news is that these fittings are relatively simple, and there’s not a lot to go over when trying to select what will work best for you.
However, it still pays to have all the information you could need to make a sound decision. With that said, we’re going to look at some of the things you want to consider when searching for fittings, as well as highlight some of our favorite options on the market.
Professional-level fittings offering enhanced rates of flow. The inclusion of 20 fittings makes this the perfect choice for professionals or hobbyists with extensive collections.
- Enhanced flow rate for optimal performance
- High-quality construction
- Reasonable price
- Does not include couplers
Industrial-style connectors with swiveling joint perfect for hobbyists and professionals. Steel construction and zinc plating help promote the life of this fitting.
- Robust construction
- Swiveling joint for flexibility
- Great price point
- Can leak at swivel when at the end of its reach
Collection of plugs, couplers, and air lines for updating old equipment. The use of premium-grade materials ensures the enhanced performance of existing tools and accessories.
- High-quality construction
- Can update an entire collection
- Aluminum male plugs have low durability
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Air Hose Fittings
- Put that air compressor to work. The most obvious benefit of air fittings is that they allow you to put an air compressor to work. Compressors are a significant investment, so it’s nice to put it to work.
- Use more tools. An air compressor is useless without the right tools. Air fittings are the link between specialty tools and their primary power source. Without them or the hose, your money is being spent in vain.
- Take on more. It may be a redundant bit of information, but the ability to run new tools allows you to take on new projects. Whether it’s simply filling up a tire, or painting your car, air compressors and the proper tools make it possible.
Types of Air Hose Fittings
Plugs and Couplers
There are two primary types of air fittings: plugs and couplers. To keep things simple, plugs are the male end, and couplers the female. In most cases, plugs attach to the power tool and slide into the air line's coupler. Plugs may also exist on air lines to allow you to connect multiple lengths of air line together.
Variations of either exist. Automotive, industrial, and ARO fittings are different styles of fittings that mate together in specific ways. You must make sure to use fittings of the same style to achieve proper performance.
WYNNsky came into existence with the sole purpose of promoting e-commerce business. With a parent company with existing success in producing air fittings, it’s only natural that they would do the same. The brand is known for providing affordable, high-quality offerings such as the WYNNsky Air Tool and Compressor Accessory Kit.
Since 1943, Milton has had a laser focus on producing the best possible product for their customers. After years of success, It has a firm handle on air fittings and pneumatic accessories. Prices are higher than the competition, but so is quality, which is why it takes our top pick with the ColorFit by Milton Coupler & Plug Kit.
Air Hose Fitting Pricing
- $10-$20: Most air fittings list between $10-$20. Price isn’t always reflective of quality, as many offerings near $20 include more pieces or accessories.
- $20 and up: Professional-grade fittings, unique designs, and more exclusive kits generally warrant a price tag above $20. Some offerings can go much higher, but that depends on what is included.
The first thing to consider is the construction of the fittings. Quality materials and craftsmanship are of the utmost importance. Slight deviations in the design can create leaks that hinder the performance of the tool you are using. The same issue can occur if surfaces become damaged. You want to make sure the tool is made with proper materials to promote long life.
You always want to match the air fittings to the tool you are using. Again, you want to make sure that the coupler and plug will fit together. Not only that, you should be sure that the fitting can flow enough air to power the tool you are using. You must refer to the letter designation of the design and the rate of flow to ensure compatibility.
How many fittings come in a set can be a determining factor in the decision-making process. It's best to stick with the same manufacturer for multiple fittings to ensure the best possible fit and performance. Therefore, when you purchase air fittings, you should consider buying an extensive kit to connect an air compressor to multiple tools.
- Color-Coding. When selecting fittings, you might want to consider selecting fittings with color-coding. This simple addition to the design can make it very easy for you to determine which plugs and couplers will work together. Color coding is especially desirable in a professional shop where multiple compressors or air lines are in use, as it can reduce time spent test fitting plugs.
Best Air Hose Fitting Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Invest in good fittings. An air system is only as strong as its weakest link. Air fittings especially are prone to leaking and hindering the entire system, and you should always use the best ones that you can afford. You should also consider what air compressor hoses you use to reduce the number of fittings you must purchase.
- Use Teflon sealer. Air fittings aren’t going to get a perfect seal without the aid of Teflon tape or some other form of sealer. Therefore, you must apply a sealer every time you join mating threads.
- Get a good compressor. Without a good compressor, it doesn’t matter how good your fittings or seals are. Consider reading our RV Air Compressor, Portable Air Compressor, and RV Air Compressor buying guides for suggestions on air compressors.
Q: What are the different types of fittings?
Plugs and couplers are the two primary types of fittings. However, sizing and compatibility with a tool and other fittings are determined by flow rates and their letter designation.
Q: What are the best air hose fittings?
Milton Industries produces top-quality filters suitable for professional use. Despite this, many offerings are very affordable, which is why it takes our pick for Best Overall.
Q: How do you fix an air hose fitting?
If you have a damaged air hose fitting, the best course of action is to replace it. They are relatively affordable, but without the proper equipment, it may be impossible to repair.
Again, the ColorFit by Milton Coupler & Plug Kit takes our pick because it is an affordable professional-level entry. But the Sungator 1/4" NPT Male Industrial Swivel Plug is the best choice if you're in a real bind.