Every Sub-$80K Chevrolet Corvette C8 Loses Money for General Motors: Report
That means a $20,000 blow on base model 2020 'Vettes.
As we know, General Motors had to pull a few strings in order to start pricing the mid-engined 2020 Chevy Corvette at $60,000. The exotic-like sportscar is more advanced than ever and boasts a drastically different layout than any of its ancestors, but it only costs about $4,000 more than the C7 generation it replaces. This comes thanks to smart planning on GM's part, like dropping the beloved but oft-forgotten manual transmission.
That said, it apparently hasn't come cheap for the automaker who reportedly loses money on every Corvette C8 sold under $80,000.
Motor Trend published an article on Friday citing a "senior source" at GM, who explained there's quite the deficit between a base 'Vette and one that makes money for the General. In order to maintain its target market, Chevrolet is said to be absorbing the extra cost it spent developing the new C8 while hoping that customers opt for higher-end examples when they visit showrooms. For reference, a Z51-equipped example quickly climbs up the price ladder, as does one that's fitted with Chevy's upper-tier styling and interior accessories.
Spring for the C8 Stingray Z51 3LT and you're looking at a near-$90,000 domestic supercar.
Chevrolet already said the sub-$60K base Corvette won't last beyond the 2020 model year, and if enthusiasts ever convince the company to build a manual transmission option, there'll be an even steeper hike. As time passes, other high-performance variants will surface and help bring up the model's bottom line, especially if they pack all-wheel-drive and hybrid tech as rumored.
The most expensive previous-gen Corvette, the C7 ZR1, clocked in around $121,000; expect a sharp increase from that price point at the range's top end. In the meantime, GM will continue to be the go-fast-friendly good guy and cut you a deal on the best bang-for-buck player in American performance.
Got a tip? Send us a note: email@example.com
- RELATEDFather and Son Busted for Racing Corvettes in Lincoln Tunnel, Causing Crash, Posting Video OnlineJust a trifecta of stupidity here.READ NOW
- RELATEDChevrolet Corvette C8’s ZR1 Variant Will Be a 900-HP Hybrid With AWD: ReportGM is said to be dipping into hypercar technology to craft the top-shelf mid-engined ‘Vette.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Final Front-Engine C7 Chevrolet Corvette Has Been BuiltPour one out for the old school.READ NOW
- RELATEDHere's What Happened With Motor Trend's Controversial 2020 Chevy Corvette Dyno TestMotor Trend's original report claimed the C8 was far more powerful than advertised. This is how it got it wrong.READ NOW
- RELATED2020 Chevrolet Corvette C8 With Z51 Package Does 0-60 in Just 2.9 SecondsGM claims the C8 Stingray is the quickest base model Corvette in the model's history.READ NOW