2020 Volkswagen Golf MK8 Set for October 24 Debut in Wolfsburg: Report
Expect to see a mix of internal combustion and battery-powered versions of Volkswagen's hit hatchback when it drops a few weeks from now.
Volkswagen has confirmed in an email to The Drive that it will reveal the new, eighth generation of its iconic Golf hatchback at an Oct. 24 event in Wolfsburg, Germany.
The automaker verified a report from Motor1 that outlined the above launch event, wherein it stated that the redesigned Golf will "set new standards with its unmistakable design, intelligent digitalization, networked assistance systems, and the entire range of efficient and electrified powertrains." In short, it'll have the latest technology and a mix of traditional combustion and electric powertrains (in the E-Golf), but reportedly no hybrid option. This new Golf will reportedly be closer to an evolution of the outgoing model than a total reformulation, but comprehensive changes are expected to make their way into Volkswagen's staple hatchback.
Volkswagen has already confirmed that the new Golf will be sold in the United States. And because the sporting GTI and R variants made up more than half of U.S. Golf sales in 2018, Volkswagen has also reassured the hot hatch faithful that these variants will be sold here. However, as we reported back in July, the less-popular Golf Alltrack and Sportwagen models are being cut from the manufacturer's American lineup.
The automaker confirmed to The Drive in early August that it has ceased production of the last-generation Golf R to retool the Wolfsburg plant where the Golf is manufactured. Significant numbers of eighth-generation Golf prototypes have been photographed zooming around, leading to speculation that production of the new model has already begun.
- RELATEDThe Volkswagen Golf R Has Died so the Next-Generation Model May LiveThe Golf R is dead, long live the Golf R.READ NOW
- RELATED2020 Volkswagen Golf Might Only Be Available as GTI or R in AmericaThe base VW Golf just isn't selling like it used to here.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch an Angry Rhino Toss Around a Zookeeper's VW Golf Like It's a ToyGood thing the zookeeper's shorts are already brown.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 350-HP Mazda3 TCR Race Car Is the Ultimate Hatchback Money Can BuyWhat's not to love about a super-powerful hatchback?READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Hyundai Veloster N vs. 2019 VW Golf GTI Comparison Review: Two Hot Hatches Blitz the TrackCan the new kid topple the king at Road America?READ NOW