Hyundai Isn't Ruling Out 'N' Pickup Truck to Fight Ford Ranger Raptor: Report
A pickup masterminded by Hyundai's N division is expected to use a version of the Veloster N's 275-horsepower turbo-four.
We already know Hyundai is working on a midsize pickup truck called the Santa Cruz, but a recent interview with Hyundai N boss Albert Biermann leads us to believe that the company isn't ruling out a performance version of the truck—one that could rival Ford's Baja-inspired Ranger Raptor.
When Australia's carsales asked Biermann if he had plans on working on an N version of the upcoming truck, he alluded, "You have to be ready for everything from Hyundai and Kia, everything is possible. So there's no limitations." When The Drive reached out to Hyundai for comment, a company spokesperson unsurprisingly refused to add anything more to Biermann's statement.
For those out of the loop, the Ford Ranger Raptor takes the popular F-150 Raptor's higher, wider, meaner, more offroad-ready formula and applies it to the Blue Oval's midsize Ranger. Like seemingly all good things small in size, it isn't currently scheduled to come to the U.S.
The report goes on to speculate that a potential Hyundai Santa Cruz N could feature long-travel, trophy-truck style suspension, more poke under the hood, and more aggressive styling—in addition to N's signature baby blue trim. It's rumored that it will use a more powerful version of the Veloster N's 275-horsepower 2.0-liter turbo-four possibly boosted to make around 300 ponies.
In the same conversation, the ex-BMW M head told carsales that his team is working on a smaller hot hatch very likely based on the overseas-only i20 supermini, as well as a performance SUV which sounds an awful lot like the previously rumored Tucson N.
N version or not, Hyundai's upcoming pickup may or may not be rebadged as a Kia, too.
- RELATEDHyundai Exec Sheds Light on Production Santa Cruz PickupSimilar to the way that the Honda Ridgeline is a Pilot with a bed, it looks like the Hyundai Santa Cruz will be a Tucson with a bed.READ NOW
- RELATEDAll-Electric, Rear-Wheel-Drive Hyundai Veloster N ETCR Drops in FrankfurtThough it may only be a race car, Hyundai says the Veloster N ETCR will inform the development of road cars.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Hyundai Veloster N vs. 2019 VW Golf GTI Comparison Review: Two Hot Hatches Blitz the TrackCan the new kid topple the king at Road America?READ NOW
- RELATEDConfirmed: Ford Ranger Raptor Will Not Be Sold in the USIt’s disappointing, but not a total surprise.READ NOW
- RELATEDGalpin Is Selling These 2019 Ford Ranger Raptor Pickup Truck Kits for $13,950Looking for some enhanced off-road capability for your new Ranger? Check out Galpin's Ranger X.READ NOW