This $279M Colorado Mansion Listed for Sale Includes Its Very Own Car Museum and Collection
The 8,700-acre property wants a new owner, and so do 60 pristine rides—including a rare $3.3-million GM concept vehicle.
There are few things in life that can make you feel dirt poor, and one of them certainly is looking at a multi-million dollar mansion that's been listed for sale. Oftentimes, luxury amenities pepper the property with high dollar add-ons like pools and guest homes, but very few for of them cater to the automotive enthusiast. Well, this mega-mansion in Colorado is the exception, as it includes something every car lover will drool over: a private car museum with a sprawling collection.
Welcome to the Gateway Canyons Ranches and Resort: a full-fledged luxury property currently owned by John Hendricks, the billionaire responsible for the Discovery Channel. Offered for sale at an eye-watering $279 million, the 8,700-acre property includes a main residence, a 72-room resort and spa, a private airstrip, an observatory, and its very own automotive museum.
Specifically, included in the sale is the Gateway Auto Museum, a local attraction that houses a number of antique and rare automobiles that helped shape the modern American vehicle as we know it.
The Gateway Auto Museum currently has more than 50 cars on display for visitors to enjoy, including its pièce de résistance 1954 Oldsmobile F-88 concept car. This particular piece is referred to as the museum's Mona Lisa and was the subject of an intense bidding war when it was purchased at Barrett-Jackson Scottsdale in 2005. The final hammer price? A cool, $3.3 million, which was more than four times its perceived value.
While the full list of vehicles isn't readily available, the museum does list a number of its vehicles on its website:
- 1906 Cadillac Model H Coupe
- 1912 Ford Model T Speedster
- 1913 Pierce-Arrow Model 38C Brougham
- 1914 Ford Model T Runabout
- 1928 Cadillac Sport Phaeton Convertible
- 1929 LaSalle Series 328
- 1929 Packard 645 Deluxe Eight Convertible Runabout
- 1930 Duesenberg Model J – Transformable Cabriolet
- 1932 Auburn 8-100A Boattail Speedster Convertible
- 1936 Auburn 8-852 Supercharged Convertible
- 1936 Cord 810 Sport Phaeton
- 1937 Hudson Terraplane Convertible Coupe
- 1938 Cadillac V-16 5 Passenger Town Sedan
- 1939 Packard Darrin Super Straight 8 Convertible Victoria
- 1947 Chrysler Town & Country Convertible 2 Door Convertible
- 1947 Lincoln Continental Cabriolet
- 1950 Packard Super 8 Victoria Convertible Coupe
- 1951 Buick Roadmaster Convertible
- 1953 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible
- 1954 Buick Skylark Convertible
- 1954 Oldsmobile F-88 Convertible Concept Car
- 1955 Cadillac Eldorado Sport Convertible Coupe
- 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Convertible
- 1957 Ford Thunderbird Convertible
- 1958 Chevrolet Corvette
- 1967 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500 Fastback
- 1968 Chevrolet Camaro SS/RS Convertible
- 1970 Plymouth Barracuda Coupe “Hemi ‘Cuda”
- 1971 Oldsmobile 4-4-2 2 Door Convertible
- 1971 Pontiac GTO Judge
In case you're looking to get a little more use out of the cars included with the property, the ranch includes a program called the "Driven Club," where guests of the resort are given access to rent a number of luxury and performance vehicles including a Chevy Corvette, Dodge Viper, Ford GT, Porsche 911, and several Bentleys. And for real thrill-seekers, a trophy truck ride-along is also offered. It's not clear if the entire club comes along with the property, but we certainly wouldn't mind if it did.
If you're looking to store a few more cars closer to home, the main residence also includes a large "five-plus" car garage where you can fit your daily drivers, plus a helipad for the helicopter that you definitely own.
With a spectacular view, a huge home, nearly 60 vehicles, and a turn-key business operation, the $279 million price tag seems to be a bit more justified for those who can afford it. Or, you can just use the property as a mega party mansion for your and all of your car friends (I'll be waiting for an invite).
- RELATEDThis $879,000 Houston Mansion Listed for Sale Includes a Private Go-Kart TrackThe lusciously landscaped concrete track features banked turns and a decent elevation change—and is way cooler than your neighbor's koi pond.READ NOW
- RELATEDGood-As-New 1981 Chevrolet Fire Truck With Only 1,300 Miles Is Fit for a MuseumIf you've been daydreaming about buying an old pickup of your own, this classic has a starting bid of $5,000 CAD.READ NOW
- RELATEDBugatti Chiron Shown Off in Naked Carbon Fiber to Sell Champagne to Rich MogulsEnough about the bubbly, Bugatti. Just show us that carbon weave.READ NOW