Ford's New Patent for the F-150 Pickup Truck Wants You to Netflix and Chill
The Blue Oval's newest patent appears to be a movie theater for the bed of your truck.
Pickup trucks make great utility vehicles, there's no doubt about it. Their beds are especially helpful to workers who require ample space for carrying tools, or homeowners looking to haul a large object to-and-from. But—hear me out —what if while unloaded you could put a movie theater in the bed of your Ford F-150?
A new patent published by Ford, originally filed in 2017, wants you to do just that. Titled "portable entertainment support system for a pickup truck box," the patent describes an entire drop-in solution for the bed of its truck.
Removable mounts are affixed to the sides of the truck's bed, enabling a series of cross members to be placed horizontally across the span of the bed in order to support a large T-shaped structure. The frame extends past the height of the cab, making room to fit a large articulating screen from edge to edge. Of course, it wouldn't be a drive-in theater without a projector. One is fit to another horizontal bar a few feet away from the screen, coupled with two bookshelf-sized speakers for audio.
Ford acknowledges that pickup trucks are often used for work, but continues to state that many owners of their vehicles also use the trucks for recreational purposes. Aside from taking a brand new truck off-road, one might also spend a night out at a bonfire or tailgating at a game, making a setup like Ford's newest patent such a unique and cool idea for those who like to spend life outside, but also doesn't want to miss the latest episode of their favorite Netflix show.
So load up the lawn chairs on a cool spring night, light a controlled fire, and turn on the telly.
- RELATEDFlorida Man Arrested for Trafficking Cocaine-Stuffed Lunchables in Ford F-150Regular Lunchables are of questionable nutritional value, but they're miles better than what the Ohio State Highway Patrol discovered.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Can, But Won't Put New 7.3-Liter V-8 in the Mustang or F-150: ReportBetter not get your hopes up for a Boss 445 or a similar monster 'Stang.READ NOW
- RELATEDWe Talked to the Insane Ohio Ford Dealership Now Selling 725-HP F-150s for $39,995The team behind the 800-plus-horsepower, $40K Mustang is bringing its power-packing prowess to the 2019 F-150.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Shop Will Sell You a Custom 2019 Ford F-150 Harley-Davidson Edition for Just $84,995But when you start adding options, it climbs eerily close to six figures.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Recalls 874,000 F-150 and Super Duty Pickups Over Fire-Starting Block HeatersAffecting mostly Canadian trucks, Ford says water and other contaminants may corrode the block heater cable's splice connector.READ NOW