Mazda Teases Special Edition MX-5 to Celebrate Miata's 30th Birthday
The unveiling of the orange roadster will take place at the 2019 Chicago Auto Show.
The Mazda MX-5 Miata made its first official debut at the Chicago Auto Show in 1989. Little did the automaker know at the time, but its lightweight roadster would be the talk of enthusiasts around the world for the next three decades. Now, swelling with pride, Mazda has announced that it will debut a special MX-5 Miata 30th Anniversary Edition at the Chicago Auto Show in February to celebrate the icon's birthday.
Mazda has a history of releasing "special edition" MX-5s showcased in splashes of loud, vibrant colors, including classics like British Racing Green, Merlot Metallic, and Velocity Red. In its teaser photo, the automaker shows a smear of orange that vaguely resembles the profile of the well-known roadster. It appears to show thin-spoked wheels, large color-matched brake calipers, and perhaps a spoiler atop the trunk.
For enthusiasts, choosing the MX-5 for its fun factor has been one of the car's key selling points since its launch. Buying a brand new MX-5 isn't going to get the buyer a ton of horsepower for its $27,080 base price., but what it will produce, is an enjoyable experience from a lightweight roadster that not many other automakers are willing to manufacture. Since the model's launch, Mazda has sold well over 1 million units worldwide, with nearly half of all sales accounted for in the United States.
The Chicago Auto Show runs Feb. 7-18, which means we'll probably get another glimpse of the finished product closer to the show. For those looking for a more practical or family-driven car, the newly turbocharged Mazda CX-5 is also an excellent choice.
- RELATED2019 Mazda CX-5 First Drive: Turbo Power and a Swanky Interior Take a Good Crossover to New HeightsA nasty, wintry mix of Canadian weather showed why Mazda's top-selling crossover is even better for 2019.READ NOW
- RELATEDCalifornia Dreaming: Exploring the Best of SoCal in the 2019 Mazda MX-5Two days, 600 miles, one sunscreen bottle, and endless headroom.READ NOW
- RELATEDA Vinyl Wrap Turned This Bride's Mazda Miata Into Her 'Something Blue'How do you liven up a 20-year-old NA-generation MX-5? Throw a nice matte wrap over its dated white paint.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2019 Mazda Miata Gets 17 Percent More Power for Only $435Small investment, big return.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Mazda MX-5 Miata: More Power, More Revs, More BrownAn optional brown soft top and telescoping steering wheel are also on the Miata's laundry list of additions.READ NOW