Best Windshield Covers: Guard Your Car From Snow and Debris
Make sure you have a windshield cover with you to protect your windshield from the elements
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
During the winter, you need to protect both you and your car from the cold weather. One area you need to cover during such periods is your vehicle's windshield. Ice might form on, or snow might cover, your windshield causing damage. Having a windshield cover is necessary, so here are the top picks.
Icescreen Magnetic Car Windshield
Cypropid Car Windshield Snow Cover
ArcticGuard Snow and Ice Universal Windshield Cover
Why Buy a Windshield Cover?
- Protect your windshield from scratches and cracks. When driving, you have to keep the windshield clean and flawless for visibility. The impact from falling snow or ice might damage your windshield by cracking it. The wind might blow objects such as twigs that might scratch the windshield. Having a good cover will prevent objects from coming into direct contact with your windshield, protecting it from damage.
- Keep your windshield clean. You need to see the road clearly when driving. If you keep your car parked outside, dust can accumulate on your windshield. If you use a cover, you will not have to worry about dust or leaves smeared all over your windshield. It is a good way of preventing dirt from getting on your windshield when you are not using your car.
- Protect your dashboard from UV rays. Leaving your car parked in the open exposes it to the sun’s UV rays which will hit your dashboard. Such heat exposure might end up causing your dashboard to fade. By using a windshield cover, you will prevent excess sunlight from damaging your car in the process.
- Save time on scraping ice. An efficient frost windshield cover will prevent ice from forming on the windshield. You won’t have to grab your scraper/brush to remove ice or snow, saving you time and effort. All you will have to do is remove the cover before getting into your car and driving away. Plus, some covers come with a storage pouch, so you don't have to worry about the cover getting your back seats or trunk wet.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more
Double-Sided Windshield Covers
This type of frost-free windshield cover is designed with either side having different uses. During the winter, the black side will absorb heat when it is cold to keep the car warm, while the silver surface reflects heat away when it is hot.
All-Weather Windshield Covers
Products in this category not only protect your windshield from snow and ice, but are also resistant to rain, are windproof, and can function as a visor sunshade when it is hot. With these all-weather windshield covers, your windshield will be protected from UV rays, dust, frost, and wind debris.
FrostGuard, started in 2012, is an automotive brand headquartered in Nashville, Tenn. It is part of Delk, a privately-held consumer product company founded in 2001. FrostGuard is popular for providing solutions to problems related to cold weather. One of its top products is the FrostGuard Pro Tec Premium Winter Windshield Cover.
Founded in 2011, OxGord’s main offices are located in Gardena, Calif. This privately-owned company deals in an array of products ranging from auto parts and accessories, home and garden tools, pet supplies and accessories, and baby and kids’ products. Its best-selling, heavy-duty windshield snow cover is the OxGord Windshield Snow Cover Ice Removal Wiper Visor Protector.
- $10 to $20: You can find an ideal car windshield cover for less than $20, with others priced as low as $10. Most of the items within this price range will get the job done, but the durability is low. A lot of these windshield covers are secured using straps and door flaps that are held in place inside the car by closing the doors on them.
- $20 to $30: In this price range, you will find premium windshield covers, especially ones fitted with magnets. Most of the covers here are multifunctional, meaning you can use them for both winter and summer seasons. Others have more than one way of securing them utilizing magnets, flaps, and straps with plastic hooks.
- $30 and up: You will find top windshield covers comprised of special materials such as plant cotton, PEVA, and non-woven fabric, making them more durable and weatherproof. Some covers come with a pouch for storing them when not in use, and others also include side mirror covers. You will also find some with luminous strips to make your car visible at night.
Type of Fittings
Before purchasing a windshield car cover, consider the method used in securing it on the car. You can use straps, magnets, suction cups, or door flaps. While most manufacturers design their covers with at least two types of fittings, it would be wise to consider those that have all three types, as they will be more secure on your vehicle.
Side View Mirror Cover
You will find that some manufacturers will include side mirror covers. These inclusions will help protect the mirrors from winter frost and dust during the summer.
Some windshield covers come with a pouch in which you can store them when not being used. This is helpful, especially when you remove the cover and it is still wet. since you won’t worry about getting your back seats or trunk wet.
- Durability: Consider getting a windshield cover that can withstand different weather conditions such as snow, ice, and rain without getting damaged easily. While most windshield covers are below $30, you will want one that is waterproof and will give you value over a long period.
- Flexibility: You will want a windshield cover that is flexible enough for you to store without damaging it. A good windshield cover is one that is easy to fold and keep in the trunk. It should take up the least space possible in your trunk.
- Construction: Most frost-free windshield covers are made up of high-quality and strong PVC materials. This makes them durable, easy to maintain, and weather-resistant.
- Size and Coverage: While most manufacturers will tell you that their windshield cover tends to fit most cars, you should get measurements before purchasing a windshield protector. You will want your cover to be secured flat on your windshield at all times to prevent moisture and wind from getting beneath it. It should cover the whole windshield viewing area.
- Security: Sometimes windshield covers get stolen. Consider getting one that has door flaps on both the driver and passenger sides.
Best Windshield Cover Reviews and Recommendations 2020
This winter windshield car cover is made with a double reinforced waterproof coating. You’ll use the magnets to hold the cover in place over your windshield. Then use the storm straps to keep it secure.
To ensure that your windshield cover stays in place, there are two foam wings. Tuck these into your front doors. The entire cover is lightweight, which makes it easy to maneuver as you put it into place. Plus, it comes with a storage bag for when you’re done using it.
Unfortunately, the magnet design could be better. You may find that they don’t have enough protection between them and your car. This means they can cause damage if you aren’t careful. They also aren’t that strong, so in heavy wind, they may not hold the cover in place.
This windshield cover is quite large at 40 inches tall and 73 inches wide. This helps to make it universal in fit so it can be compatible with a wide variety of vehicles. There are straps so that you can adjust the fit and make it work for your vehicle.
There are two additional pockets for your side mirrors. This will protect them from snow and ice also. It also has interior hooks that you place inside your doors to prevent theft of your cover.
Unfortunately, this cover is not very thick and lacks durability. You may also find it challenging to put into place. This will leave gaps for the snow to get under your cover and then effectively “glue” the cover to your windshield with ice.
A windshield cover is a simple but very important car accessory. In cold weather, it prevents ice and snow from accumulating on the windshield. This means you don't have to scrape snow from your windshield in freezing temperatures every morning. If you're in the market for a windshield cover, we recommend the OxGord WindShield Snow Cover. It has a thermal shield and protects your windshield from frost. The thermal shield traps heat and ensures your windshield stays clean and clear.
This windshield cover will keep ice and snow at bay, even in harsh weather. It is ideal for all seasons and provides full windshield coverage. It fits most SUVs, vans, and small cars. The cover is made of 600D polyester and will protect your windshield from a variety of weather elements. It is very easy to install and you don't need any tools. Its side panels close inside the front doors, preventing it from being blown away by the wind or getting stolen by thieves.
However, you must measure your windshield accurately to ensure it fits. The windshield cover does not fit all windshields. In addition, its side panels are not stitched well and tear easily. It is also too small to fit the windshields of trucks and barely covers them.
When it is freezing, the last thing you feel like doing is going outdoors. And if you have to clean your windshield before getting in your car, you may even decide not to go where you’re supposed to go. A windshield cover ensures you don't scrape the windshield every time you need to drive your car. The Marksign Universal Fit Windshield Snow Cover protects the front window of all vehicles. It measures 60 x 90 inches.
Marksign understands that the material is one of the important things people look at when buying a windshield cover, as it determines the cover’s lifespan. That’s why the company has used heavy-duty PEVA fabric to make the Marksign Universal Fit Windshield Snow Cover. Its outer cover is made of aluminium laminated fabric and it features a soft microfiber cotton backing. The manufacturer also provides side-view mirror covers.
Four elastic straps with wheel rim hooks make it easy for you to install this windshield cover. The cover also comes with a three-year warranty.
However, its design does not allow for a car's radio antenna and you may not be able to attach the hooks to the wheel rims on one side. The cover may also get stuck to the windshield when it's snowing or during an ice storm.
One of the things we like about the IceScreen Snow Cover is its unique design that allows it to protect the windshield as well as the wipers. It fits 99 percent of vehicles and is ideal for cars and SUVs. It ensures your windshield wipers don’t freeze in the winter or age in the summer because of prolonged exposure to the sun. And thanks to its compact size, you can easily fold it when you’re not using it and store it in your trunk or rear seat.
The Mumu Sugar Auto Windshield Cover has four layers: warp and weft cotton, spunlace cotton, aluminum foil, and white lining. It is thicker and fits windshields better than other covers on the market. It can effectively prevent snow and rain from penetrating into your car’s windshield. And the good news is, you can use it all year round to protect your car from different weather elements.
When you’re not using the windshield cover to protect your windshield, you can use it as a baby play mat, a camping mat, or a trunk mat. It has three magnets with strong suction power.
However, it should be noted that the auto windshield cover does not fit all SUVs. It is also lightweight and tears easily.
Removing snow from your car's windshield before you drive to work or hit the road is not the best way to start your day. You may get snow in your face and your fingers may get frozen, which is the last thing you want. A good windshield cover can protect your windshield from the elements and ensure you have a full field of view when you drive your car. If you own a pickup truck, get the IceScreen Windshield Cover as it is specifically designed for trucks.
The magnetic windshield snow cover is extra long and easily fits the windshields of trucks and vans. It is resistant to scratches and ensures that ice and snow do not get on your windshield. You don't have to worry about it getting stolen because its security flaps are secured inside your car's doors. It is lightweight yet durable and stays in place in most weather conditions. This windshield cover for pickup trucks comes with magnets that hold it in place.
However, the magnets are not strong enough and the cover may be blown away by strong winds. The cover can also destroy your car's paint.
Some windshield covers are only meant to protect the windshield itself. Other models are meant to protect the roof, the side-view mirrors, or the rear window. The Zone Tech All-Weather Windshield Cover is one such cover. Unlike the other windshield covers we’ve reviewed here, it offers reliable protection to your car’s windshield and rear window.
The Zone Tech windshield cover is compatible with a variety of vehicles, including cars and SUVs. It is made of high-quality materials and stands up to all types of weather. It is water-resistant and won’t allow rainwater to get on your windshield. The cover is very easy to use. All you need to do is place it on your windshield and put its flaps inside your car’s front doors then close them. Next, cover the side-view mirrors using the covers provided.
However, the front windshield cover is quite small and doesn’t have strong magnets to keep it in place. And because the flaps go inside your car, they may cause snow to melt in the interior.
Tips and Advice for Windshield Covers
- If you are using a magnetic windshield cover, make sure that your windshield is dry before placing the cover on it. The magnets might not hold if the surface is wet.
- Buy covers that are equipped with a security panel if you feel your windshield cover might get stolen. Such covers get shut in the driver's door to give it extra security to prevent it from being stolen
- In case you live in an area prone to strong winds, you might want to consider a cover with door flaps that can be secured by the front doors. This will provide the extra grip to avoid being blown away by high winds.
- Always make sure the cover stays flat against the windshield. Check that the straps are not loose and the door flaps are firmly secured by the doors. Elastic straps will help secure the cover to your windshield tightly to prevent air from flowing underneath it and spreading ice on the windshield. Suction cups might be useful here too.
Q: Do ice and snow windshield covers help?
A: Yes, they do, if you get the right one and place it as instructed. If you live in a place with a lot of snow and ice, these covers will protect your windshield. You will not have to scrape snow and ice from your windshield every time, which is a good way to avoid scratching the glass.
Q: What if my windshield has a crack?
A: While the windshield covers in this review work well, they will not be effective if your windshield has cracks. When it is snowing, the low temperatures might cause the windshield to contract along the cracks, making them wider. In such cases, the windshield cover can only keep the snow off. Consider replacing or fixing them by using some quality windshield repair kit.
Our top pick for the best windshield cover is the Icescreen Magnetic Car Windshield. It is popular because of its high durability, plus it is very secure.
For a cheaper alternative, consider the Cypropid Car Windshield Snow Cover.