We may earn revenue from the products available on this page and participate in affiliate programs. Learn more ›
During the winter, you need to protect both you and your car from the cold weather. One area you need to cover during such periods is your vehicle's windshield. Ice might form on, or snow might cover, your windshield causing damage. Having a windshield cover is necessary, so here are the top picks.
Icescreen Magnetic Car Windshield
Cypropid Car Windshield Snow Cover
ArcticGuard Snow and Ice Universal Windshield Cover
Why Buy a Windshield Cover?
- Protect your windshield from scratches and cracks. When driving, you have to keep the windshield clean and flawless for visibility. The impact from falling snow or ice might damage your windshield by cracking it. The wind might blow objects such as twigs that might scratch the windshield. Having a good cover will prevent objects from coming into direct contact with your windshield, protecting it from damage.
- Keep your windshield clean. You need to see the road clearly when driving. If you keep your car parked outside, dust can accumulate on your windshield. If you use a cover, you will not have to worry about dust or leaves smeared all over your windshield. It is a good way of preventing dirt from getting on your windshield when you are not using your car.
- Protect your dashboard from UV rays. Leaving your car parked in the open exposes it to the sun’s UV rays which will hit your dashboard. Such heat exposure might end up causing your dashboard to fade. By using a windshield cover, you will prevent excess sunlight from damaging your car in the process.
- Save time on scraping ice. An efficient frost windshield cover will prevent ice from forming on the windshield. You won’t have to grab your scraper/brush to remove ice or snow, saving you time and effort. All you will have to do is remove the cover before getting into your car and driving away. Plus, some covers come with a storage pouch, so you don't have to worry about the cover getting your back seats or trunk wet.
Double-Sided Windshield Covers
This type of frost-free windshield cover is designed with either side having different uses. During the winter, the black side will absorb heat when it is cold to keep the car warm, while the silver surface reflects heat away when it is hot.
All-Weather Windshield Covers
Products in this category not only protect your windshield from snow and ice, but are also resistant to rain, are windproof, and can function as a visor sunshade when it is hot. With these all-weather windshield covers, your windshield will be protected from UV rays, dust, frost, and wind debris.
FrostGuard, started in 2012, is an automotive brand headquartered in Nashville, Tenn. It is part of Delk, a privately-held consumer product company founded in 2001. FrostGuard is popular for providing solutions to problems related to cold weather. One of its top products is the FrostGuard Pro Tec Premium Winter Windshield Cover.
Founded in 2011, OxGord’s main offices are located in Gardena, Calif. This privately-owned company deals in an array of products ranging from auto parts and accessories, home and garden tools, pet supplies and accessories, and baby and kids’ products. Its best-selling, heavy-duty windshield snow cover is the OxGord Windshield Snow Cover Ice Removal Wiper Visor Protector.
- $10 to $20: You can find an ideal car windshield cover for less than $20, with others priced as low as $10. Most of the items within this price range will get the job done, but the durability is low. A lot of these windshield covers are secured using straps and door flaps that are held in place inside the car by closing the doors on them.
- $20 to $30: In this price range, you will find premium windshield covers, especially ones fitted with magnets. Most of the covers here are multifunctional, meaning you can use them for both winter and summer seasons. Others have more than one way of securing them utilizing magnets, flaps, and straps with plastic hooks.
- $30 and up: You will find top windshield covers comprised of special materials such as plant cotton, PEVA, and non-woven fabric, making them more durable and weatherproof. Some covers come with a pouch for storing them when not in use, and others also include side mirror covers. You will also find some with luminous strips to make your car visible at night.
Type of Fittings
Before purchasing a windshield car cover, consider the method used in securing it on the car. You can use straps, magnets, suction cups, or door flaps. While most manufacturers design their covers with at least two types of fittings, it would be wise to consider those that have all three types, as they will be more secure on your vehicle.
Side View Mirror Cover
You will find that some manufacturers will include side mirror covers. These inclusions will help protect the mirrors from winter frost and dust during the summer.
Some windshield covers come with a pouch in which you can store them when not being used. This is helpful, especially when you remove the cover and it is still wet. since you won’t worry about getting your back seats or trunk wet.
- Durability: Consider getting a windshield cover that can withstand different weather conditions such as snow, ice, and rain without getting damaged easily. While most windshield covers are below $30, you will want one that is waterproof and will give you value over a long period.
- Flexibility: You will want a windshield cover that is flexible enough for you to store without damaging it. A good windshield cover is one that is easy to fold and keep in the trunk. It should take up the least space possible in your trunk.
- Construction: Most frost-free windshield covers are made up of high-quality and strong PVC materials. This makes them durable, easy to maintain, and weather-resistant.
- Size and Coverage: While most manufacturers will tell you that their windshield cover tends to fit most cars, you should get measurements before purchasing a windshield protector. You will want your cover to be secured flat on your windshield at all times to prevent moisture and wind from getting beneath it. It should cover the whole windshield viewing area.
- Security: Sometimes windshield covers get stolen. Consider getting one that has door flaps on both the driver and passenger sides.
Best Windshield Cover Reviews and Recommendations 2020
Tips and Advice for Windshield Covers
- If you are using a magnetic windshield cover, make sure that your windshield is dry before placing the cover on it. The magnets might not hold if the surface is wet.
- Buy covers that are equipped with a security panel if you feel your windshield cover might get stolen. Such covers get shut in the driver's door to give it extra security to prevent it from being stolen
- In case you live in an area prone to strong winds, you might want to consider a cover with door flaps that can be secured by the front doors. This will provide the extra grip to avoid being blown away by high winds.
- Always make sure the cover stays flat against the windshield. Check that the straps are not loose and the door flaps are firmly secured by the doors. Elastic straps will help secure the cover to your windshield tightly to prevent air from flowing underneath it and spreading ice on the windshield. Suction cups might be useful here too.
Q: Do ice and snow windshield covers help?
A: Yes, they do, if you get the right one and place it as instructed. If you live in a place with a lot of snow and ice, these covers will protect your windshield. You will not have to scrape snow and ice from your windshield every time, which is a good way to avoid scratching the glass.
Q: What if my windshield has a crack?
A: While the windshield covers in this review work well, they will not be effective if your windshield has cracks. When it is snowing, the low temperatures might cause the windshield to contract along the cracks, making them wider. In such cases, the windshield cover can only keep the snow off. Consider replacing or fixing them by using some quality windshield repair kit.
Our top pick for the best windshield cover is the Icescreen Magnetic Car Windshield. It is popular because of its high durability, plus it is very secure.
For a cheaper alternative, consider the Cypropid Car Windshield Snow Cover.
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.Learn more