Nigel's Flyer, The V12 Swapped Ferrari 308, Is Up For Auction
This 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV wasn't quick enough for the original owner, so the owner crammed a V12 into it.
A lovely 1985 Ferrari 308 GTS QV, finished in Metallic Blue Chiaro paint with a white leather interior piped in blue, is hitting the auction block next month. But this isn't just any old 308. This is Nigel's Flyer, as it was appropriately named, has a Ferrari V12 engine was fitted in it.
This right-hand drive 308 was purchased in 1985 and driven for several years by the original owner, according to Silverstone Auctions. In the late 1980s, that owner felt that the 240 horsepower from the V8 in the 308 just wasn't doing it for him. The owner took it to Nigel Mansell's Ferrari dealership, Emblem Sports Cars, to find a solution. The dealership's mechanic, Nigel Hudson, had the answer—shove a Ferrari V12 in the back.
With a little convincing from Mansell, Ferrari sold them a brand new V12 that was designed for the Ferrari 400. With a very skillful hand, Hudson was able to transversely mount the V12 into the 308's engine bay. The 4.8-liter, 4-cam, Ferrari V12, 308 GTS QV was dubbed 'Nigel's Flyer'. It now put out around 340 hp, which in the late 1980s, was quite a bit. It might have lost the four valves per cylinder ratio, but the car retained all of the body upgrades that came with the QV 308s.
The current owner came into the car in 2013 and brought it back to Nigel Hudson for a more than thorough servicing. Over the span of two years, all the mechanical parts (engine, transmission, brakes ...) were taken completely apart for a "no expense spared, re-commissioning." The car has been put up for sale a few times in the recent past, but I believe this is the first time it will be available since Hudson revisited the car.
Nigel's Flyer (probably named for Hudson, not Mansell) needs a new, loving home. Before the current owner, it was in storage for about 10 years. If you're in the market for a unique, vintage Ferrari, this might be the car for you.
- RELATED5 Weird Engine Swaps That Need to HappenFrom the obscure to the obvious, these swaps have to happen at some point.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis 911 V8 Swap Is A Deathwish On WheelsIf at thirty you shove an iron block V8 in the back of a 911, you won't make it to forty.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This LSX Swapped AE86 Barely Hold it Together on the DynoThe Driftworks AE86 spins it tires on the dyno as it desperately looks for traction.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe STI-Swapped Volkswagen Tristar You've Always WantedThis Subaru-swapped Volkswagen is the best hybrid-pickup since the BRAT.READ NOW
- RELATEDChannel Magnum PI With This 1980 Ferrari 308 GTSiToday on Bring a Trailer.READ NOW