For Sale: LS-Swapped Nissan Xterra Rocks 6.0-L V8, 4×4, and Six-Speed Manual
What's not to love about an agile Japanese off-roader powered by hefty American V8?
We've seen GM's immensely versatile LS motor get swapped into Miatas, Mercs, and even Winnebagos, but this just might be the least expected LS swap yet. For sale now on Bring a Trailer is a 2005 Nissan Xterra S with GM's Gen IV 6.0-liter Vortec L76 V8 plucked out of a 2008 Chevrolet Silverado pickup truck. And while we're not completely sure, this is likely the only LS-swapped Xterra in existence.
mad genius creation originated at New Jersey's LOJ Conversions. Before the heart transplant, this Nissan SUV came from the factory with a 4.0-liter VQ V6 engine good for 265 horsepower. The American V8 in this one now makes around 360 ponies and is hooked up to the Xterra's stock six-speed manual transmission.
Other mechanical modifications include the camshaft from a Pontiac G8, a custom-built wiring harness, and the power steering pump and A/C compressor from a Nissan 350Z sports car. Unsurprisingly, the unusual build has introduced some unintended quirks into the ownership experience. "The seller notes that sometimes after extensive driving, if the engine is shut off then restarted again immediately, it restarts in limp mode but if it is allowed to sit for a few minutes it restarts without issue," explains the listing.
Enthusiasts of American engine-swapped, obscure Japanese compact SUVs will want to act fast. The auction ends Tuesday afternoon and is sitting at a bid of $5,555 as of this writing.
The Nissan Xterra went out of production in 2015 but a company exec hinted at the compact SUV's possible return in an interview a couple of years ago.
- RELATEDPost Malone Adds Bagged, LS-Swapped 1968 Chevy C10 to Ballin' CollectionThe patina-painted Chevy pickup ticks all the right boxes and joins a 1967 Lincoln Continental, among several others, in the star's garage.READ NOW
- RELATEDNissan Executive Hints the Xterra Might Come BackThe update coming to the Frontier pickup might produce an off-road SUV counterpart.READ NOW
- RELATEDTurbo LS-Swapped 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Makes 766 HP at the Front WheelsIt goes to show that some people will drive what they love, and not what makes sense. And we're totally fine with it.READ NOW
- RELATEDSmoke Out Santa Claus With These Holly Jolly Turbo LS-Swapped Porsche 944 BurnoutsForget the sleigh. Icelandic drifter Fannar Þór's light-covered 944 slays tires.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Twin-Turbo, LS-Swapped 1977 Porsche 911 is Peak Lunacy on TrackWatch the fury of this boosted V8 911, originally meant for the drag strip, take on a road course—sideways.READ NOW