Listen to This Sci-Fi-Like Porsche Taycan Prototype Zoom Around Denmark
This high-performance electric car makes all the right noises—when it counts.
A prototype of Porsche's first-ever electric vehicle, the Taycan sports sedan, has been filmed trotting around Copenhagen, Denmark in light camouflage.
In a video uploaded to YouTube by user "Pro- Street" [sic], the Taycan can be seen in what resembles a near-production guise, with camouflage on just a handful of body details. Its headlights and front fender vents wear light camouflage, and on the rear bumper, Porsche has slapped fake exhaust pipes to trick onlookers into thinking that they're looking at a Panamera.
Easily the most significant moment in the video is at three minutes and 50 seconds, when the Taycan takes off from a stop inside a parking garage, amplifying the sci-fi-like sound of the Taycan's electric drivetrain.
Speaking of which, Porsche confirmed last July that the Taycan will have over 600 horsepower and twin-motor all-wheel-drive, which will allow a 0-to-60 dash in less than 3.5 seconds. When not flat-out, Porsche estimates that the Taycan will be able to drive as far as 311 miles on a single charge, though the company has yet to announce whether that's on the modern WLTP test cycle or the obsolete, EV-flattering NEDC cycle.
Those are only the specs for the launch model, of course. Porsche has mentioned in official emails the existence of a high-performance Taycan Turbo, which will surely have the standard car beaten for performance, if not range as well. Pricing is expected to come in above $130,000 for this, the top-of-the-line Taycan, with entry-level pricing just over $90,000.
Porsche has stated that the Taycan appeals to consumers enough that over 20,000 people worldwide have dropped $2,500 deposits for launch-spec cars, despite the fact that the final model hasn't yet been revealed, and won't be until September. Deliveries, Porsche hopes, will begin by the end of the year. Let the inevitable Tesla comparisons begin.
- RELATEDPorsche Taycan Already Has 20,000 Preorders, Is Set to Go on Sale by Year's EndThe first round of owners will receive three free years of EV charging through Electrify America.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Four Immaculate Porsche 917s Take to the Track at Goodwood’s Annual Member’s MeetingThe flat-12 parade included the first 917 ever built, which was just recently restored to perfection.READ NOW
- RELATEDMissing Porsche Dealer Who Stole $2 Million in 911 GT Deposits Caught After Six-Month HuntWe broke the original story. Here's the update you've been waiting for.READ NOW
- RELATEDWhy World Rallycross Is Doing Too Little, Too Late With Its New All-Electric Race SeriesThe racing body now lacks big-time manufacturer support, but this wouldn't have been the case had it made the move when it counted.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Confirms 'Mustang-Inspired' Electric Crossover to Have 370-Mile RangeTo make its first pony crossover competitive when it launches in 2020, Ford will give the model some pretty long legs.READ NOW