Report Suggests the 2019 Ford Ranger Could Pack a 310-HP EcoBoost Engine
Among other powerplants, mind you.
The all-new 2019 Ford Ranger is a heavily anticipated upcoming addition to the Ford lineup, and has been for a while now. The mid-sized pickup will go up against the Toyota Tacoma and Chevrolet Colorado in the marketplace. The only thing Ford has officially made comment on is that the truck will have a body-on-frame construction.
Aside from that little tidbit, the Ford Ranger has been kept under wraps. Still, rumors always persist, and now, we may know a thing or two about possible engines. According to Motor Trend, the base engine is rumored to be the naturally aspirated 2.5-liter inline-four currently found in the Ford Fusion. This petite engine makes 154 horsepower and 175 lb-ft of torque, essentially making Rangers equipped with it destined for only a life of Auto Zone and Pep Boys deliveries.
The next engine possibility is a little more desirable: the new 3.3-liter V6 found in the 2018 Ford F-150. This engine makes a more appropriate 290 horsepower and 265 lb-ft of torque, in its current form. But it's the final engine possibility that makes us most excited: Motor Trend reports the new Ranger may score a 2.3-liter EcoBoost making 310 horsepower and 320 lb-ft of torque. (There's also the chance of diesel power, but we'll have to wait and see for that.)
Whatever the case may be, your humble author is sure the 2019 Ford Ranger will make for some interesting changes in the mid-sized pickup market.
- RELATEDThe USS Ranger Sailed With A Unique "Grumman Air Wing" In The Mid 1980sThe same year USS Ranger became the star of Topgun, the carrier sailed with a air wing made up almost entirely of Grumman aircraft.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord May be Making an Off-Road Version of the RangerWhat would you even call something like that? The Ford Ranger Baby Raptor?READ NOW
- RELATEDHammer Time! : Say Hello To A 2005 Ford Ranger With Only 19,000 MilesWant a own a low mileage Ranger that was fleet maintained? All it takes is a high bid and a cheap flight to Atlanta.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Ranger Coming To China In 2018The Ford Ranger will hit the Chinese market a year before the venerable pickup returns to the U.S. market.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe New Ford Ranger Website Is Officially OnlineThe site is mostly just a tease for Ford's upcoming mid-sized pickup before it arrives in 2019. But still.READ NOW