Watch Koenigsegg's Agera RS Production Car Speed Record From Behind the Driver's Seat
Koenigsegg stresses that all of the equipment used in the record-setting Agera RS is available to every one of its customers.
After achieving a two-way average of 277.9 miles per hour back in early November, the Koenigsegg Agera RS is officially the fastest production car ever made. On Thursday, the Swedish hypercar maker released footage of its record-smashing run from inside the cockpit. With the camera aimed right over factory test driver Niklas Lilja's shoulder, we get up close and personal (as close as a YouTube video will allow, anyway) with what that kind of mind-bending speed looks and sounds like from behind the wheel.
About a minute after setting off, the Agera RS hits a top speed of 284.7 mph. By our calculations, that means a top speed of 271.1 mph was achieved in a run going the other direction. After slowing back down to around 200 mph, Lilja takes a hand off the wheel to verify his speed and subsequently let out a little celebration.
In addition to being the fastest production car in the world as well as the fastest car to get from 0-400-0, the Koenigsegg Agera RS also holds the records for the fastest flying kilometer on a public road (averaging 276.9 mph two ways), fastest flying mile on a public road (averaging 276.36 mph two ways), and the slightly dubious distinction of achieving the highest speed ever recorded on a public road at 284.55 mph.
According to Koenigsegg, all five records were broken with the same customer car running E85 fuel, equipped with the 1,360-horsepower "1 MegaWatt" package, a factory roll cage, and a single set of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires. Yes, in the seven top speed and three 0-400-0 runs Lilja performed, the tires remained unchanged throughout. Koenigsegg also stresses that the "1 MegaWatt" package, roll cage, and tires are things available to every one of its customers.
- RELATEDThe Koenigsegg Agera RS Is Now the Fastest Production Car Ever MadeAveraging 277.9 mph two ways (and hitting 284.7 mph one way) down a Nevada highway, the Agera RS is officially the fastest car in the world.READ NOW
- RELATEDKoenigsegg Agera RS Bests Bugatti Chiron, Sets New 0-400-0 RecordsThe Chiron may be fast, but the Agera RS makes it seem just plain bloated.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Koenigsegg's Record-Breaking 284 MPH Run OnboardThe Agera RS makes it look easy.READ NOW
- RELATEDDoes The Future Belong To Rimac or Koenigsegg?In episode two of /Drive on NBC Sports, we join the battle between the world's best hybrid and electric sports cars.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Hennessey Venom F5 Is America's Homegrown, 301-MPH Hypercar1,600 horsepower plus one sleek body equals one speedy Texan. With a $1.6 million price tag.READ NOW