Listen to the Record-Breaking Koenigsegg Agera RS Roar to Life
The Bugatti-killer is quite a stunner in person.
Even on the supercar-happy streets of Los Angeles, seeing a car as rare as a Koenigsegg is difficult. In my many years of car spotting I've seen all manner of rare hypercars, but the Swedes have evaded my camera for far too long. So what happens when you don't just witness a Koenigsegg in person, but the Koenigsegg? Spoiler alert, there's lots of excited screaming involved.
Yes, the Koenigsegg Agera RS that broke the production car speed record lives in Los Angeles and pulled into a gas station near me, so of course I had to pull in and look at it. The car attended this month's Sunset Gran Turismo meet in Hollywood earlier that morning and stole the show. Like some of the cars at the meet, I was sure it would be carted out in a trailer, but alas the owner drove it home himself.
Koenigsegg borrowed this exact RS from the owner last month and broke multiple production car records, beating the Bugatti Chiron's top speed (averaging 277.9 miles per hour) as well as its zero-to-249 mph record of 33.29 seconds. The Agera RS is a limited-production hypercar with just 25 units made, and attributes its speed to its track-oriented design, impressive power-to-weight ratio, and 1,160-horsepower, twin-turbocharged V8.
The owner was gracious enough to briefly demonstrate the car's lovely exhaust note, which you can watch and listen to below from multiple angles. Unfortunately, I couldn't witness the car's acceleration or speed. L.A. traffic doesn't allow for that.
- RELATEDWatch Koenigsegg's Agera RS Production Car Speed Record From Behind the Driver's SeatKoenigsegg stresses that all of the equipment used in the record-setting Agera RS is available to every one of its customers.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a Rare Koenigsegg Agera RS Conquer the Snow-Covered Swiss AlpsThere are only 25 of these in the world.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2017 Koenigsegg Owners' Meet Was a Rolling Orgy of Swedish Supercar StunnersWith 19 cars, it was the largest gathering of Koenigseggs ever.READ NOW
- RELATEDKoenigsegg Agera RS Bests Bugatti Chiron, Sets New 0-400-0 RecordsThe Chiron may be fast, but the Agera RS makes it seem just plain bloated.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the Only Koenigsegg Regera in America Head to Pebble BeachChristian von Koenigsegg is also reported to be milling about at the Koenigsegg rally.READ NOW