LAST UPDATED: November 21, 2019
Best Swirl Removers: Easily Restore Your Car’s Paint
These top swirl removers will help you remove imperfections from your vehicle
The Review Team
How We Decided
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON November 21, 2019
Over time, the paint on a vehicle can start to wear off due to improper handling and cleaning. The coating begins to show scratches and swirl marks that make the car look dull and dirty. If you need a product that will remove paint imperfections, you’ll need a quality swirl remover. Take a look at our top three picks to help you restore your car’s paintwork.
This is an all-in-one product that works as a polish, sealant, and finishing wax. It removes water spots, swirls, and scratches and performs light paint corrections. Perfectly safe for car paint.
- The product is easy to use and long-lasting
- It has an efficient formula that provides a smooth, glossy finish
- A little goes a long way
- It comes in a large bottle and at an attractive price
- It doesn't remove bigger scratches, only light ones
- Another wax might be required for perfect finishing results
If you need a versatile product to remove scratches, swirls, watermarks, and dirt from your car, Carfidant is an excellent choice. The polish is efficient, safe for the car coat, and easy to use.
- The powerful formula shows results within a few moments
- It applies by hand on different paints, colors, and a wide range of surfaces
- Restores the gloss and shine of the car paintwork
- A buffer pad is included in the package
- It requires extra rubbing for removing deep scratches and stubborn stains
- Frequent reapplications might be needed
Another great option is the Shine Armor scratch and swirl remover. It's a powerful product that eliminates marks on the car surface without causing damage. It also makes the entire cleaning process super easy.
- The product is easy to apply and works rather quickly
- The strong formula eliminates the need for extra rubbing and frequent application
- It doesn't only remove marks but also restores paint, making it shiny again
- Even deep scratches become less visible
- The product comes in a small bottle
- It doesn't contain any wax, so it might leave the surface less glossy than expected
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Swirl Removers
- Better appearance. The main benefit of swirl removers is the appearance of your vehicle. They'll remove water spots, swirls, and scratches, making the car’s paintwork shiny and attractive again.
- More protection. The damaged paintwork offers less protection for the car’s body. It might not seem that way, but paintwork does protect the car's interior parts. When the coat is deeply scratched, it might not be that effective, which is where swirl removers become handy.
- Cost-effective. Swirl removers will save you a lot of money you would otherwise spend in a body shop. You can fix the scratches and other imperfections on your own without seeking professional help. Even the priciest swirl removers are half the price of the bill in the body shop.
- Easy to use. Swirl removers offer the easiest way of removing water spots, swirls, and other types of car coat imperfections. They are easy to apply (a few strokes should be enough), and they only require some extra rubbing to remove the deepest scratches from the paintwork.
Types of Swirl Removers
A rubbing compound is an abrasive material used to restore a car’s paintwork. It polishes out scratches and removes old layers of paint, revealing the fresh ones underneath. The powerful formula efficiently removes the major paint defects. However, keep in mind that rubbing compounds are highly abrasive, and they might not be suitable for all cars. The product is applied by hand with a cloth or applicator pad, or with a polishing machine.
Polishes are safer than rubbing compounds. They are less abrasive and remove only the top layers of wax, not the paint itself. The formula works on the surface and restores the shine and glossy effect to the car's paint. Polishes are, therefore, perfect for final touch-ups, especially when combined with waxes. They are easy to apply by hand or a polishing machine, and shouldn't require a lot of rubbing.
Based in Santa Clarita, Calif., 3D is one of the leading companies when it comes to car care products. With more than two decades of experience, 3D is a reliable name that stands behind many successful car care brands. The company offers a large selection of car care chemicals, for both DIYers and professionals, with the 3D Speed All in One Polish and Wax being among the most popular ones.
Shine Armor, based in Parkland, Fla., is one of the leading car detailing companies in America. Its main goal is to provide customers with high-quality products at affordable prices, which makes the company very popular among car enthusiasts. Shine Armor Scratch Swirl Remover is widely used and one of the best-rated products within the category.
Swirl Removers Pricing
- Under $10: You can find some excellent swirl removers at this price point, although they might lack some extra features. They usually don't contain wax, so you have to buy and apply it separately. Also, inexpensive swirl removers might be less powerful and require frequent reapplications.
- $15 and up: For a few more bucks, you can get swirl removers with strong and eco-friendly formulas. They are easy to apply and often contain fillers and wax. Some high-abrasive rubbing compounds are also available at this price.
Abrasive or Non-Abrasive
Consider which swirl removers you need: the highly abrasive ones (rubbing compounds), or polishes that work only on the surface. Your choice will mostly depend on the type of damage. If the paintwork has deep marks and scratches, you'll probably have to use rubbing compounds and strip some layers of paint. If you're dealing with light scratches and swirls, water spots, and other imperfections on the surface, polishes will do the trick.
Fillers and Wax
Some swirl removers have formulas that contain fillers and wax. These are quite convenient because you don't need to purchase any additional products. They are easy to apply and work within a few minutes. Just keep in mind that swirl removers with fillers and wax mostly cover up the scratches instead of leveling them up. You'll still have the glossy finish, but the imperfections might reappear after some time, and you'll need to repeat the polishing process.
The versatility of swirl removers depends on many factors. Some of them can be applied to different surfaces, such as single-stage paints and coated ones, while others can't. Also, some swirl removers can remove multiple imperfections, such as water spots, swirls, and more. Most newly designed swirl removers can be applied either by hand or polishing machines. However, many high-rated products still offer just one of the options. It's a good idea to check all these features before you purchase. The more versatile the product is, the better.
- Easy to Use. At first sight, a swirl remover looks like a simple product that everyone can use. However, you can have a lot of issues with poorly designed tubes and bottles. They can prevent you from applying the product quickly and evenly, which is quite time-consuming. Also, if a swirl remover contains elements that can damage the car paint, you'll have to be extra careful when applying it.
- Eco-Friendly. These days, a lot of newly designed swirl removers have formulas that are biodegradable. They don't cost more than regular ones, yet they are safer for the environment. Consider being eco-conscious wherever you can, especially when buying products such as swirl removers and similar chemicals.
Best Swirl Removers Reviews & Recommendations 2020
The 3D Speed All in One Polish and Wax is a highly efficient swirl remover you can also use for delicate car paint jobs. It works as a polish, sealant, and finishing wax, which relieves you from the trouble of buying all these products separately. You can use it to fix some minor paint issues too.
The powerful formula works quickly, yet it's not highly abrasive, so it won't damage the car's paintwork. It removes water spots, swirls, and scratches, leaving a glossy finish. With a small amount of this product, you can maintain the car's surface for months and make it look more appealing.
If you prefer safe polishes that leave the natural shine on the car's surface without damaging it, 3D Swirl Remover is an excellent choice. However, keep in mind that it doesn't remove big scratches and marks. Also, if you want to achieve a super shiny finish, you might need to apply another wax after polishing.
This is not only a swirl remover, but also a cleaner and paint restorer. It's a multipurpose product that removes scratches, swirls, and water spots, and dissolves dirt. Additionally, it's safe for the car’s coat and won't leave any stains or marks.
The formula is very efficient and starts working at the same moment you apply the product. Still, it's not too abrasive, and it's suitable for different paints, colors, and surfaces. It applies in a breeze, especially thanks to the included buffer pad.
If you end up dealing with deep scratches and stubborn stains, Carfidant Swirl Remover can help, but it might require a lot of extra rubbing. That can take quite some time and effort. You'll also need to repeat the application from time to time to maintain a shiny-looking surface.
Shine Armor is a simple yet efficient product that removes paint imperfections, working as both a scratch and swirl remover. It does a great job in restoring paint and making it shinier, while also being safe for the coat.
This product has a powerful formula that works instantaneously and doesn't require frequent applications. It's rather convenient for quick fixes and cleanups, especially because it applies in a breeze. No extra rubbing is needed. The swirl remover might even work on the deepest scratches and make them less visible.
The main drawback of this product is the lack of wax. If you want your car to have a shiny surface, you'll have to buy wax separately. Another concern is the size of the bottle. You'll pay a pretty penny to get only a small amount of liquid.
The Megiuar's Ultimate Compound is a popular multi-purpose product that works to resolve surface imperfections. You can use it for removing oxidation, water spots, blemishes, scratches, and all kinds of dirt. The compound works efficiently without leaving any swirls or residues. It's suitable for a wide range of vehicles, regardless of the surface color. This compound is as efficient as harsh abrasives, yet completely safe for different paintworks. You can use it to restore finishes that faded out or the ones with noticeable damages. With the Meguiar's ultimate compound, the surface becomes super shiny and protected in the long term.
The Meguiar's compound is difficult to remove, though. You'll need to apply some extra elbow grease to take it off the surface. Also, if you have issues with deep scratches, you might want to search for a more powerful product. This compound is more suitable for removing dirt, dust, debris, and light scratches.
Chemical Guys is a widely-known company that produces top-notch car cleaning and detailing products. This time, we have the scratch and swirl remover suitable for cleaning and polishing a wide range of surfaces. It's a useful device that comes at an attractive price and proves to achieve great results. The Chemical Guys compound works to remove moderate to heavy surface imperfections on all colors. You get to use it for cleaning and polishing without leaving any damages on your vehicle. The product is wax- and silicone-free, which means it's not sticky and won't leave residues. The compound is body-shop safe and easy to apply, and you'll find it quite handy for different purposes.
However, you might have to make several passes to achieve perfect results with this product. If you have time and patience, this product will work wonders, but in case you want immediate results, you might want to look for another scratch remover. The product also seems to have less efficiency when applied to gray paintwork.
- There are two types of swirl removers: polishes and rubbing compounds. Keep in mind that compounds are highly abrasive. If not applied carefully, they can damage the paint and cause new scratches.
- Make sure not to over-polish your vehicle. If you apply swirl removers too often, you might damage the car’s paintwork. The recommended use of polishes varies from three to six times a year.
- Swirl removers can be applied by hand and electric or air buffers. Regardless of the option you choose, follow the instructions provided with a particular product.
- Not all swirl removers contain wax. In most cases, you'll need to apply wax separately once you remove all the scratches and swirls from the coat.
Q: What's the difference between polishes and rubbing compounds?
Both are designed to remove swirls from paintwork, but they do it in different ways. Rubbing compounds are more abrasive, and they can only be applied using electric or air buffers. Polishes are less powerful but safer, and you can apply them by hand.
Q: How do I apply a swirl remover by hand?
Before you start with the remover, wash your vehicle. Then apply a small amount of polisher on a clean cloth and rub it on the wet surface. Spread the product slowly and evenly. Remove the excess polish once you're done. If it doesn't contain wax, you'll need to do this separately after you finish with polishing.
Q: Will a swirl remover permanently remove scratches?
Yes, quality products will permanently remove swirls, scratches, and other damage. Keep in mind, however, that some of the scratches might be too deep. If this is the case, most products won't be able to remove them, or at least not without damaging the paint during the process.
The 3D All in One Polish and Wax is our top pick as it removes watermarks, scratches, and swirls quickly and efficiently.
The Carfidant Scratch and Swirl Remover is an excellent alternative so long as you don’t have deep scratches and stubborn stains.