Best Car Wash Mops: Make Your Ride Shine with Minimal Effort
These car wash mops will have your vehicle looking better than ever
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
If you really want to make your ride stand out after a bath, you need the proper equipment. A good car wash mop can be the difference between a streaky vehicle and one that positively gleams.
These tools make it easy to get every last speck of dust and grime off your vehicle, and they do so without scratching the paint. If you want to make your next car wash both faster and more effective, you’ll want to have one of these close at hand.
A long aluminum alloy handle makes it possible to reach the tops of taller vehicles with ease. The lint-free construction ensures it won’t leave a mess behind as you clean.
- Absorbent strings soak up water and reduce drying time
- They can also pick up quite a bit of dust, making the mop equally suitable for cleaning the interior and the exterior
- Plastic handle has quite a bit of give, so users may want to wring the mop out thoroughly before each use
- No way to lock the swiveling head in place as needed
This mop features a telescoping 48-inch extension pole with an absorbent chenille microfiber mitt. The wash mitt is also removable for spot treating your vehicle.
- Mitt is thick and soft and does a good job of cleaning your vehicle
- Head and pole articulate nicely and adjust to the shape of your vehicle
- Removable mop head may come off during use
- A little flimsy and won't hold up if you scrub your vehicle too hard
This mop extends up to 62 inches, and the mitt is detachable, so you can use it to clean your vehicle's interior. The mitt is also washable.
- Mop is easy to put together and has a non-slip grip handle
- Rotates 180 degrees for better access, and you can choose the length of the handle
- Mitt may lose its shape over time
- May become tangled in the washing machine, rendering it useless
- A little flimsy
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Car Wash Mops
- Keep your car clean. The main reason for purchasing a car wash mop is to get rid of the pollutants that contaminate your vehicle's surface. Your car, truck, or SUV can get really dirty over time, and the best way to eliminate the dirt and grime is by cleaning it on a regular basis.
- Protect the paint. Washing your car makes it look good, but it also protects the paint from breaking down. Over time, dirt can build up on your vehicle and wreak havoc on the paint and other surface areas. This can cause a lot of damage. The good news is it's preventable if you use the proper cleaning equipment.
- Access hard-to-reach places. Some trucks, SUVs, and RVs are very tall and have areas that are difficult to reach, particularly if you’re smaller statured. Most car wash mops have telescoping handles that extend several inches and allow you to access the roof and other areas that you can't reach by hand.
Carrand was founded in 1982 and is based in Carson, Calif. The company has designed over 200 different cleaning tools for the home and automotive purposes, including the Carrand Long Chenille Microfiber Wash Mop.
Chemical Guys, based in Southern California, has over 40 years of experience in the detailing and car care segment. It produces a wide range of products, from buffing pads and machines to car care chemicals and wash accessories, including the Chemical Guys Premium Chenille Microfiber Car Wash Mop and Extendable Pole Kit.
Based in Chicago, Ill., Chief's Way was founded by firefighter Chief Roger T. Bobb, who runs a tight ship and wants to make sure that everything is spit-polish clean. The company produces a wide range of products, such as wash and gloss, detailing spray, and the Firefighter's Way Microfiber Mop.
Car Wash Mop Pricing
- $15-$25: Most car wash mops cost around $20, although you will find some that are slightly less or slightly more expensive. What can set them apart is the size of the extendable pole and the material used in the washing glove.
It's important to consider the size of the mop head. If it's too large, it won't get into the nooks and crannies of your vehicle. You want to make sure that it's large enough so you can quickly and effectively wash your vehicle but not too large that it can't reach smaller spots. Many mops have extendable handles, but if the handle is too long it can be harder to control the device.
Not all wash mops are built the same way. Some are higher-quality than others, and it's really important that you find one that doesn't break the first time you use it. Many are made of aluminum and/or plastic parts, so make sure they can withstand repeated use. Also, check that the microfiber mop head is durable and will last more than a handful of washings.
The best car wash mops feature microfiber or wool mop heads. These types of mops clean a car's finish really well. Another option is a mop with soft bristles. This is ideal if you need to clean a vehicle with more significant dirt buildup. Just make sure the bristles are soft, so you don't scratch the vehicle. Also, stainless steel handles are better than wooden ones, which can rot over time.
- Versatility. Some car wash mops are designed strictly to use on your vehicle's exterior. However, many brands feature detachable heads, so you can use the mitt inside and out of your car or truck. Also, this allows you to clean the mop head, which can extend its lifespan. Versatile products like this can save you money.
- Added Features. As we already noted, some mops have removable mitts, which allow you to use your hands instead of a pole to clean parts of your vehicle. Other mops are designed so they spin and rotate to certain angles, which helps in tighter areas. A less common feature is water flow control, which allows you to turn the water on and off the mop.
Best Car Wash Mops Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- If you have a vehicle that’s on the tall side, look for a mop with a telescoping handle, as that will make it much easier to reach the roof.
- Some models have removable heads that can be washed and reused. While this isn’t a necessity, it can save you a few bucks and help you wring more life out of your mop before you have to replace it (no pun intended).
- Decide on what type of mop head you want before making your purchase. Everything from bristle firmness to the overall size of the head varies. The best one for you is largely a matter of personal preference, but they do provide a different washing experience, so give it some thought before plunking down your credit card.
Q: Will these work on the interior as well?
Many will, yes. They’re especially good for clearing dust, pet hair, and other debris off the dash and upholstery. Just look for one that’s designed for both wet or dry use.
Q: Will these damage my paint?
A well-made mop will clean your car without chipping, scratching, or otherwise harming your paint job. Do your research before buying, however, because some have edges on the head that can scratch the finish if you’re not careful.
Q: Do I need any other gear to give my car a proper bath?
If all you’re trying to do is wash your car, then a mop and a bucket full of suds is all you should need. However, if you want to take your wash to the next level, you can invest in waxes, tire polishes, chrome shines, and more.
The long aluminum handle on the GreatCool 2 in 1 Car Wash Mop Mitt makes it both durable and versatile, which is why it earned our top honors. Its incredibly absorbent bristles will even reduce the time you have to spend scrubbing your car to perfection.
For a more budget-friendly option, consider the Carrand Long Chenille Microfiber Wash Mop.