Best Car Paint Protection: Prevent Chips and Rust
Clean and protect your vehicle’s paint job with these long-lasting car paint protectors
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links.Read more.
PUBLISHED ON November 5, 2019
Taking care of your car is necessary to make sure it works day in and day out. From topping it off with fuel, changing the oil, and protecting the paint, you need to maintain it properly. If you park in the sun or elements for hours at a time, the paint can be damaged and chip away over time. To alleviate this problem, you may want to consider a strong car paint protection system. We put together a list of some of the best.
- Best OverallChemical Guys JetSeal Paint Sealant & Paint ProtectantSummarySummary
This automotive paint features UV protectants and hydrophobic properties to protect your vehicle’s surface from harsh weather conditions. It provides a durable high gloss finish that makes your ride look like a new car.ProsPros
The superior enhanced formula provides a unique anti-corrosion synthetic sealant that gives your car a long-lasting, mirror-like wet finish. It works quickly and is easy to use. It lasts through rain and wind and smells pretty good as well.ConsCons
The bottle is small, and you may need multiple to get the job done. Also, the spray bottle feels flimsy.
- Best ValueWolfgang Concours Series Deep Gloss Spritz SealantSummarySummaryThis is a high-gloss spritz sealant that has been engineered from liquefied polymer technology to disperse easily through the spray nozzle. The paint sealer hides water spots, giving your vehicle’s surface a gloss finish while saving you money.ProsProsThe produced finish is a high-gloss transparent shine and it provides long-lasting UV protection to paint and other exterior surfaces of the car. It sprays on easily and removes dust, dirt, and other grime. This protection product adds to the beauty of your car.ConsConsIt may take a while to see improvements if you are cleaning the paint. The bottle can run out quickly.
- Honorable MentionAdam’s Ceramic Spray Coating Nano Ceramic ProtectionSummarySummary
Adam’s ceramic spray is one of the best car paint sealants on the market to easily clean and protect your car’s paint. This hybrid wax sealant features a topcoat carnauba wax to leave your car sparkling clean.ProsProsIt applies easily and quickly with a built-in spray attachment. The finish is a smooth reflective gloss, and the bottle is large enough to apply several coats to a car. Additionally, this paint can be applied to a variety of car surfaces such as wheels, painted surfaces, canvas, glass, and headlights.ConsConsThe result may not be as slick or glossy as other formulas. It can leave visible streaks, and the instructions can be confusing at first.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, and practical experience with each product we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Car Protection Paint
- Protect your car’s original paint. The primary aim of applying a protective skin of paint on your vehicle is to protect its original paintwork from superficial damage. Common destructive elements include acidic tree saps, bird droppings, UV rays, and road tar.
- Boost car’s resale value. When it comes time to upgrade, your car’s exterior appearance will hugely impact the buyer’s perception. Applying a protective layer of paint minimizes the chances of the original color fading. It’s also easy to fix scratches on the protective paint.
- Lower maintenance cost. Once you have applied a film of car paint, you’ll eliminate the need to wax your car on a regular basis. This can save you a significant amount of cash that you can use to upgrade the car.
- Easy to clean. The protective film repels dust and minimizes the buildup of grime on the car’s surface. This makes it easier to wash.
Types of Car Protection Paint
Sealants are synthetic polymers composed of multi-linked molecules that act by binding on your car’s original paint. Sealants provide a high level of gloss, are durable, and easy to scrape off if needed. You can either use specialty machines or your hands to apply the sealants on your vehicle.
Glass coating, unlike paint sealant, has silicon dioxide as the base component. The silicone compound repels off contaminants and gives your vehicle a sleek, wet appearance. The two main variations of glass coating are silica and quartz silane. Basically, glass coating acts by forming a hard, semi-permanent layer that shields the underlying paintwork from scratches, oxidation, and contaminants.
Ceramic coating is an auto detailing product composed of titanium dioxide and silica. Once applied on the surface, the two compounds form a durable nano-ceramic shield that prevents damage to the car’s original paint. Owing to its hydrophobic properties, ceramic coating forces grime, insect acids, snow, bird droppings, and other destructive elements to slide off the surface. It also takes less time to clean a vehicle that has been ceramic-coated.
Clear Paint Protective Layer
This is a plastic film manufactured from thermoplastic urethane. It protects the car’s paint from rock chips, mineral deposits, acid rain, and small scratches. However, it is only used on parts that are susceptible to the damages highlighted above.
Chemical Guys specialize in manufacturing high-quality car care products. The California-based factory was established in 1958. Chemical Guys currently has a presence in more than 50 countries worldwide. The company manufactures sealants, snow foams, pre-wax cleaners, and wax. Some of its leading paint sealant products include the Jetseal Durable Sealant and the HydroCharge Coating Nano Ceramic Spray.
Wolfgang is a premier car care product manufacturer located in Stuart, Florida. The company leverages modern technology to manufacture super polymers with anti-static properties. Wolfgang’s sealant paints are designed to polish and protect the surface. A popular Wolfgang car care product is the Deep Gloss Spritz Sealant.
Adam’s Polishes is an international car care product manufacturer located in Louisville, Colorado. The company is renowned for producing quality car paint sealants, waxes, and polishing kits among others. Adam’s polishes are famed for their lustrous, dark and long-lasting shine they give a vehicle. Some of the popular paints from this company include Adam's Infused Tire Shine and Adam's UV Tracer Ceramic Paint Coating.
Car Protection Paint Pricing
- Under $50:The cost of car protection paint is partly determined by the surface area of the vehicle to be detailed. If you decide to DIY, you can spend about $20 or you can visit an auto detailer shop and spend around $40. Ceramic car paints often cost under $50 and are used to restore areas like the front windows and the front windshield visor. Other processes that fall under this budget range include masking scuffs, dents, headlight restoration, and scratches that only occur on specific places on your vehicle.
- Between $50-$100: Expect to spend in this price range for custom paint jobs on your vehicle. Common areas ideal for this kind of spending include the fender around the hood and mirrors. Common paints under this budget range include fiberglass paints, high gloss clearcoats, and chip guard.
- Over $100: Car paints that cost over $100 are ideal for whole body car painting. Applying a ceramic coat on the whole body can cost you around $920. The budget caters for all prep work on the vehicle and required kits. The cost of applying a full body paint protection film would set you back at least $400.
Different protective car paints will give your vehicle a specific appearance on application. Some will leave a deep gloss shine, others a mirror glaze, and some will leave a deep luster. It helps to think over the pop a given protection paint leaves on your car. A rule of thumb is to choose a protective paint that complements your car’s original paint.
Another consideration before ordering a specific protective car paint is its longevity. A good paint should last a few months before needing a retouch. The longer the lifespan, the more protected your vehicle will be.
Ease of Application
The mode of application and the time a protective paint takes to set in should also be considered. If a given paint takes too long, it may slow or even discourage you from using it. Auto detailing shops may also charge more, considering the time that the project takes.
Ease of Removing the Protective Paint
A good car protective paint shouldn’t only shield the underlying paintwork, but should also be easy to remove when need be. It shouldn’t leave visible marks on the surface upon removal. Beyond this, good protective paint shouldn’t prevent a vehicle owner from using a different brand of protective paint.
- Climate. Some paints are affected by relatively high temperatures. Some paints become sticky on touch when temperatures rise. Ensure you purchase the paint that suits the climate of your location.
- Price. Protective paint for vehicles can cost up to a few hundred dollars, depending on the company, application, and other factors. It’s paramount to choose a paint that’s within your budget range to ensure proper application.
Best Car Protective Paint Reviews & Recommendations 2020
Best Overall: Chemical Guys JetSeal Paint Sealant & Paint Protectant
This paint offers car owners a high-quality surface finish that conceals swirl marks, scratches, and minute dents. It’s formulated using science polymers resulting in a fine mix of the hydrophobic paint and wax to give your car a deep, glass-like shine.
The biggest merit of choosing this Chemical Guys product is that it takes less than 15 minutes to set in. This makes it ideal for a quick makeover. It is also easy to apply and wipe off the surface. Additionally, it is anti-corrosive and protects your car’s paint from UV damage. It gives your car a durable and shiny mirror-like look.
One disadvantage of this paint is that it doesn’t work well on parts made of plastic. This means you’ll need to buy a different brand to complete your vehicle’s makeover.
This Wolfgang Concours paint protector gives users with a smaller budget an option of a quality spray sealant with results that will rival the best sprays on the market. The paint is formulated from liquefied polymer technology which enhances its optical clarity and protective properties. On application, it easily masks road grime, fingerprints, and other debris that may alter your car’s shine.
The merit of choosing this variant of protective paint is durability. It will keep your car’s original paint protected for months before there is a need to redo the paint work. Besides this, the paint can be used on glass, plastic, and a range of other surfaces.
The main shortcoming of this paint is that you can only use a specific towel to apply it on the surface, as the wrong kind of towel will leave visible streaks on the surface. Also, this paint runs out quicker than most paints, so you may need a couple of bottles, depending on the size of the surface you intend to paint.
Honorable Mention: Adam’s Ceramic Spray Coating Nano Ceramic Protection
Many protective paints will give your car a classy appearance but won’t last as long as the Adam’s Ceramic Spray Coating. By leveraging on modern technology, the manufacturer ensures this synthetic polymer sealant can work on any surface without leaving streak marks or dulling your car’s original paint.
Its main selling points are its durability, ability to protect the surface from a range of destructive elements, and ease of application. Basically, this paint can last for up to six months, depending on exposure and detergents used in washing your vehicle. It can also be applied on a variety of surfaces such as wheels, glass, and plastic.
The main downside of using Adam’s Ceramic Spray Coating sealant is that it is affected by heat, which makes it sticky. This may discourage car owners who often drive in warmer climates.
- Invest in a microfiber towel to wipe the spray onto your paint for better performance. You can also use a soft cloth or T-shirt, but make sure the fabric doesn’t scratch the paint.
- If you have multiple vehicles or motorcycles, consider stocking up on several bottles to protect them all. Some types of paint protectors also require several coats.
- Avoid applying the paint protector when it’s hot if you want to get a nice even coat on the vehicle. Also, avoid applying the solution to a car that is hot or warm. Bring the vehicle into the shade or wait until either the sun has set or clean it earlier in the day before it gets too warm.
Q: How long will a paint protector last?
A: This is a difficult question to answer because each product is designed differently. The majority of paint protectors will keep the paint shiny and glossy for perhaps a week. They will also not last through several downpours or snowstorms. Check with the manufacturer to find out.
Q: How much paint protector should I use?
A: The bottle should come with a chart or guide to show you exactly how much you need to use. if you find that the amount is not enough to wax or protect an area effectively, you may want to use more.
Q: What is the best way to apply the paint protector?
A: Typically, each one will come with a multi-step process. Start by rinsing off the surface with a hose. Then apply the cleaner to the paint and other parts of your vehicle. Lastly, wash it away with a microfiber cloth and let it dry.
For a strong and effective paint protector and car wax, consider the Shine Armor Car Wax Hydrophobic Spray.
Save some cash and check out the Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 Optical Select High Gloss Spray Sealant and Quick Detailer for a smooth finish at a less expensive price.