LAST UPDATED: December 23, 2019
Best Automotive Paint Guns: Give Your Car a Brand New Look
The right automotive paint gun gives your vehicle an even and smooth texture
The Review Team
How We Decided
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON December 23, 2019
A car is probably one of the most valuable possessions one can own, so giving it a fresh look with eye-catching colors is a great idea. For amazing results, you need the right automotive spray gun. If you are not an expert in painting, choosing the right automotive spray gun can be very confusing. To help you make an informed decision, we have reviewed the best automotive paint guns on the market.
This professional paint gun features a precise fan that can easily be adjusted to help you in controlling the rate of paint flow, giving your car a fantastic finish. The finishing nozzle is appropriately designed to deliver better results than other manual options.
It is constructed with durable material to ensure years of service. It is very easy to clean and requires little maintenance. It is lightweight and, combined with its ergonomic handle, ensures easy handling. It is fitted with a nicely positioned air control valve, which prevents overspray and bounce-back.
Some customers have reported that the attached hose becomes very loose over time. The nozzle needs to be unclogged regularly for efficient functioning.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Automotive Paint Guns
- Fast. An automotive paint spray gun is a fast way to give your car a new look. Drying time is reduced, which lessens the chance of dust particles setting up on the paint.
- Greater control. By using an automotive paint gun, you have greater control over the whole painting and finishing process as compared to siphon-feed guns. Most automotive paint gun machines allow you to adjust the fan speed, air pressure, and spray painting flow as per your requirements. This allows you to reach every corner of your vehicle easily.
- Efficiency. One of the most important benefits of using an automotive spray paint gun is its efficiency. If a machine has a very high-pressure system, it can cause the paint to bounce back, which may create problems. However, an automotive paint gun does not have this problem. Its results are quite efficient as compared to other paint systems.
- Less overspray. Another important benefit of an automotive spray gun kit is that it can get the job done faster and with less paint. This is because an automotive paint gun has less overspray. Overspray can create an extra layer of paint on the vehicle, which looks unappealing.
Types of Automotive Paint Guns
HVLP Paint Guns
HVLP stands for high volume low pressure. As the name indicates, an HVLP spray gun or HVLP spray gun set uses low pressure but releases the paint at a higher volume. The pressure is around 3 to 8 PSI and generates around 100 CFM. Because of this, the paint job is done in a precise manner. Due to high pressure, an HVLP gun system might need an air regulator along with an air compressor to operate. A gravity feed spray gun is an example of an HVLP gun. It must be noted that this HVLP paint gun is not a super-fast system, but it produces efficient results and can change the look of your car.
LVLP Paint Guns
LVLP stands for low volume low pressure. As the name indicates, this type of paint gun uses low pressure and releases the paint in low volume. The required pressure is around 10 PSI for the best finishing. This type of paint gun is suitable for a layperson and is quite easy to use. LVLP paint guns are best for DIY tasks because they are affordable.
With its headquarters based in Toronto, Canada, Fuji Spray is a leading North American paint spraying equipment manufacturer. With more than 30 years of experience, Fuji Spray specializes in a wide range of spray and compressor guns. Their spray systems are self-contained and are made with clean technology. One of their top products is the Fuji 2203G Gravity HVLP Spray System.
Another leading brand of spraying equipment is REXBETI. It manufactures products that are convenient and easy to use. They have six ranges of products, including power tools, automotive tools, hand tools, lawn and garden, home appliances, and products within the test, measure, and inspect category. One of their bestsellers is the REXBETI HVLP Home Electric Spray Gun.
Started by two entrepreneurs from Minnesota, Graco Inc. is a renowned fluid handling manufacturer. It produces products that are designed to move, dispense, spray, and measure fluids. Graco Inc. sells its products in more than 100 countries across the globe. Currently, its headquarters are based in Minneapolis, Minn. However, it also has headquarters in the Asia Pacific, Europe, South & Central America, Africa, and the Middle East. Their products include the Graco Magnum Airless Paint Sprayer and the Graco Magnum 257025 Project Painter Plus Paint Sprayer.
Automotive Paint Gun Pricing
- $30-$200: At this price range, you can get an automotive paint sprayer with 2-3 spray patterns. The product will not be as durable as high-priced items, but they can still get the job done. You will have to assemble the equipment, and it can be cleaned easily after use.
- $200 and up: You can get high-quality products in this price range. Spray guns in this price range usually include professional spray guns with adjustable fan controls.
Quality is very important when it comes to automotive paint sprayers. This is because low product quality can ruin the look of your vehicle, whereas, a high-quality product can give a flawless base coat finish while minimizing paint bounce-backs. Therefore, you should always look for high-quality paint guns and never compromise on quality.
User-friendliness is also an important feature you must look for when buying an auto paint machine. The right machine should allow you to have control over the whole process. Not all car owners have the technical knowledge, so a good paint gun should be easy to use.
The cost of the paint gun is also an important factor that should be considered. This factor can be a bit confusing because if you opt for a low-cost paint gun, you won’t get a flawless finish. However, buying a very expensive paint gun may not be worth it if you are planning to use it just one time. Look for reputable brands that offer high-quality but affordable items.
- Frequency of Use. Are you planning to use your automotive paint gun just once or multiple times? How long are you planning to use it? The frequency of use is an important factor to consider while deciding to purchase an automotive paint gun.
- Indoor vs. Outdoor. Decide where you are going to use your automotive paint gun. For example, if you are planning to use it outdoors, then you should invest in a product that is portable and easy to carry.
Best Automotive Paint Gun Reviews & Recommendations 2020
As our best overall pick, this Fuji HVLP gravity spray gun comes with an adjustable fan that allows you to control the flow of paint as per your requirements. Due to this, the problem of overspraying is minimized. Its finishing nozzle’s size and shape are also designed in such a way to ensure a high-quality finish for your car.
This product is made with high-quality material and is quite durable. Once you invest in it, you can use it for many years. The best thing about this product is that it requires very little maintenance and can easily be cleaned. It also includes an air control valve that prevents paint bounce-back.
However, some customers complained that the nozzle needs to be cleaned after every use because it tends to get clogged frequently. Also, its hose tends to loosen after a few years of use.
This electric spray gun uses 500 watts of power to give a smooth finish to your vehicle. It includes a 6.6-foot-long power cord, making it quite convenient to use. You can easily use it outdoors because of its portability.
Before using it, you will have to assemble it. However, assembling it is very easy, and you will get used to it after using it a few times. There is no need for technical knowledge to use this spray gun. It can be cleaned easily. It includes three spray patterns that you can use while spraying your car’s auto body. It also gives you full control over the whole process and includes an adjustable control knob.
On the downside, this electric spray gun consumes a lot of electricity, so if you are planning to use it for a longer period, you might see a hike in your electric bill. The flow rate is also low compared to other spray guns.
As our honorable mention pick, this Graco Magnum paint sprayer is quite handy and easy to use. It comes with an adjustable paint controller that allows you to control the flow of paint. This machine releases spray at high pressure because of its piston pump.
It is quite easy to clean, and the best thing about this machine is that it doesn’t get clogged very often. Its paint bucket is like a paint cup. It is connected with a suction tube, and you can spray directly from the bucket using that tube if you want. This airless paint sprayer also has tires so that you can easily move it.
Even though it is a great product, it has disadvantages as well. Some customers complained that you need to keep an eye on the spray controller because if it is not adjusted, it can overspray the paint sometimes. Also, it is a bit expensive compared to other spray guns.
- Nozzles are essential components of a paint sprayer because they determine how the paint will flow. They come in different sizes. Small nozzles are more accurate than larger ones, so check the size before buying.
- Cleaning the machine after using it is extremely important. Choose paint sprayers with detachable parts as they are easier to clean. A machine that is easy to clean will save you time.
- Check the size of the sprayer. Though you may not need to transport the paint sprayer for long distances, you might be required to move it a little bit. While heavy-duty systems tend to be bulky, most of them come with wheels for easy transportation.
Q: What is an automotive paint gun, and how does it work?
A: An automotive paint gun looks like a regular paint gun, but is designed for painting cars. It operates through the atomization process, which converts liquid paint into small drops. The small drops then form a fine mist that runs through a nozzle. The formed mist colors the intended area.
Q: Do sprayers use more paint?
A: The amount of paint you will use depends on the sprayer you have. It is recommended to purchase 30 percent more paint to be on the safe side. Rollers typically need less paint than an airless paint sprayer.
Q: Do paint sprayers use batteries?
A: Most paint sprayers do not use batteries. Instead, they function when connected to an electrical output. That’s why they come with long power cords for effortless movement while working.
For the best automotive paint gun, the Fuji 2203G Gravity HVLP Spray System tops the list for its durable construction, impressive results, and user-friendliness.
If you are searching for a cheaper paint sprayer, the REXBETI HVLP Home Electric Spray Gun is a great option. It comes at an affordable price, offers three spray designs, and is easy to use and clean.