Best Wheel Spacers: Show Off Your Ride with Style and Flair
Throw on a pair of large wheels and hit the road with these car wheel spacers
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
For anyone wanting to show off their car, having it painted, adding decals, or improving the ride and sound of it are but a few ways to do so. You can also change the size, style, and color of the car’s wheels. While these will help add a unique look to your ride, installing wheel spacers will also make them stand out and improve the ride and performance of the car. Here are the best wheel spacers we found that will enhance the overall look and feel of your car.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Wheel Spacers
- Improve car handling. Wheel spacers will help improve the car’s ability to turn, and it will greatly impact the amount of cornering. They add more space for the wheels to maneuver, causing the tires to be further apart from each other, distributing the weight equally between all four wheels.
- Enhance the car’s look. High-quality wheel spacers will change the way your car looks. By adding just a small amount of extra space between the rim and the wheel hub, the wheels will stick out a few inches from the fenders. Their design is meant to give your car a more sporty and fierce look.
- Add larger tires. Having larger tires is one way to improve handling, speed, and control. The majority of custom wheels won’t fit on standard cars, so adding wheel spacers will help make sure you can install the tires and wheels you want on your ride without fear of them rubbing against the frame, axle, or anything else on the car.
Types of Wheel Spacers
Bolt-on wheel spacers are fastened to the existing studs to bolt the spacer onto the hub. When purchasing these, you’ll need to check and make sure they are compatible with your wheels and lug nut patterns.
Slip-on wheel spacers slide onto the studs leaving room left for your wheel to fit back on. However, depending on the size of your wheels, sometimes, they don’t leave enough room for them to fit back on. This will not allow enough space for you to fasten the lug nuts properly and securely. You may need extended studs with slip-on spacers to secure the wheels in place safely.
Based in Los Angeles, Calif., Supreme Suspension has been creating performance upgrade parts for vehicles since 1991. It specializes in offroad testing to make sure all the technology is functional on the road. It makes the Supreme Suspensions Hub Centric Wheel Spacers.
Founded in Germany in 1951 by Heinrich Eibach, this company focuses on designing parts for speed and power. It has worked on cars taking part in Le Mans, Mulsanne, and NASCAR. One of the best wheel spacers it makes is the Eibach Pro-Spacer Wheel Spacer Kit.
Spidertrax focuses its engineering on creating high-quality wheel spacers and more for off-roading vehicles. It began in 1999 by Thomas Kingston in New Jersey at the New Jersey Institute of Technology. One of its most durable wheel spacers is the Spidertrax S2PWHS010 Wheel Spacer Kit.
Wheel Spacers Pricing
- $65-100: This price range of wheel spacers will see generally a thinner spacing design for wheels. These can start out at 1 inch thick. You’ll also pay for the number of spacers included in a pack. Typically, they can be found in a pack of two.
- $100-up: Here you’ll pay for a thicker variety of wheel spacers; anything from 1 inch and up. The packs will also come complete with four-wheel spacers.
Knowing the size of the wheel you are trying to fit onto your car is necessary to make sure they and the wheel spacers fit accordingly and securely to the car.
It’s recommended to purchase wheel spacer extender studs no matter what size and width you get. Not having enough space between the wheel and spacer will result in it not fitting correctly. Extender studs will give you that extra room to fit the wheels right where you want them. Also, check the bolt pattern of the spacers and your studs to make sure they match up with the lug nuts.
- Compatibility: You’ll want to check to see if the wheel spacers you are looking at are compatible with your car. Many are designed with specific offroad vehicles in minds such as trucks, jeeps, and SUVs. They’ll also come with their own stud pattern, so you’ll also want to make sure you have the correct amount of studs required to fit the wheel spacer properly to your car.
Best Wheel Spacer Reviews & Recommendations 2020
- Make sure to check the size of the wheels you want and compare it to the length of the studs and thickness of the wheel spacer for a safe and secure fit.
- It’s recommended to check the wheel spacers after driving for a few miles to make sure they are still holding strong. After first installing them, drive 25 to 50 miles, then check them to make sure they haven’t loosened.
- Not all wheel spacers will be compatible with every car. To help make sure they fit tightly to your studs, you may need to buy stud extenders. It’s highly recommended you purchase them just in case.
Q: Do wheel spacers affect alignment?
A: Installing a wheel spacer can affect the alignment of your vehicle. It’s recommended to get the alignment checked just in case after having them installed.
Q: Can I drive the car on just two wheel spacers?
A: While yes, technically you could drive the car on just two wheel spacers, it is not recommended. Making sure all four of your tires are the same width and length apart helps distribute weight evenly on all of them. Driving with just two spacers may weaken the amount they can hold.
Q: Will wheel spacers fit any vehicle?
A: You’ll want to check with the manufacturer before installing them on just any car. Many are designed with a specific vehicle in mind such as a Jeep Wrangler JK, Dodge Ram 1500, or Grand Cherokee, so double check which kind you’re interested in before purchasing.
If you want to add a larger set of wheels and tires to your car, then the Supreme Suspensions Hub Centric Wheel Spacers are a great choice.
For anyone who wants to save a bit of cash but still get a solid choice for wheel spacers to check out the Spidertrax S2PWHS010 Wheel Spacer Kit.