Best Synthetic Oils: Invest in Your Engine’s Long-Term Health
What’s in your engine? Find out which synthetic oil is best for your ride
- Best OverallMobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30SummarySummary
The most trusted synthetic oil on the market, it delivers superior performance, efficiency, and longevity.ProsPros
Superb anti-wear performance in high temperatures, exceptional change interval, maintains long-term engine health.ConsCons
Pricey, containers can sometimes leak.
- Best ValueValvoline MaxLife High Mileage 5W-30SummarySummary
A bargain-priced synthetic blend oil that provides maximum protection for higher-mileage vehicles.ProsPros
Great performance for vehicles with high mileage, helps prevent oil leaks, sludge, and more, excellent price.ConsCons
Shorter change intervals, not recommended for lower-mileage vehicles.
- Honorable MentionRoyal Purple High PerformanceSummarySummary
The enthusiast’s undisputed choice for an ultra-high-performance synthetic motor oil.ProsPros
Fantastic for high-performance vehicles, maximizes fuel economy and extends change intervals, compatible with other types of oil for an easy switchover.ConsCons
Pricier than most brands, some reports of leaky containers.
- Best OverallAmazonBasics High-Mileage Motor OISummarySummaryA good, affordable option for older vehicles needing some extra lubrication.ProsProsGood for vehicles over 150,000 miles on the odometer. Can be changed every 5,000 miles.ConsConsProduces an awkward smell when first opened.
- Best ValueCastrol's GTX High-Mileage OilSummarySummaryGood results for a lesser known brand name. Good for vehicles above 75,000 miles.ProsProsGood general performance. Engine parts run more quickly and more smoothly.ConsConsNo clear or opaque surface on the bottle to measure inside oil levels.
- Honorable MentionValvoline High-Mileage with MAXLIFESummarySummaryA high-performance, high-mileage oil that is more of a premium blend than other options.ProsProsGood for cars above 75,000 miles. Helps to reduce oil burnoff, sludge buildup, and more.ConsConsOil burnoff resistance decreases after 1,000 or 2,000 miles with the oil.
- Best OverallValvoline VR1 Racing OilSummarySummaryA good racing oil that is meant for weekend racers and daily commuters alike.ProsProsHigh zinc and phosphorus blend for anti-wear properties. Good burn resistance.ConsConsNot as good for high-mileage vehicles as more dedicated options.
- Best ValueCastrol EDGE Extended PerformanceSummarySummaryAn all-around high-performance oil that does well in racing conditions.ProsProsLarge bottle with multi-case options available. Long life of around 10,000 to 15,000 miles.ConsConsMore suitable for long race conditions than short, fast races.
- Honorable MentionBrad Penn Oil Partial Synthetic Racing OilSummarySummaryA racing oil that has good results for other high-performance conditions like towing and hauling.ProsProsA good degree of resistance against viscosity and thermal breakdowns.ConsConsMore expensive than other general oils. Not as good as dedicated racing oils.
- Best OverallAmazonBasics Full Synthetic OilSummarySummaryOne of the best diesel synthetic oils that offer a good balance of performance results and value.ProsProsNoticeable performance gains that last beyond the 5,000-mile mark. Compatible with different engine types.ConsConsSlower-than-average rap up. Not suitable for racing conditions.
- Best ValueShell Rotella T6 Motor OilSummarySummaryHigh-quality performance at a low cost; this synthetic oil stands out as a money-saving option.ProsProsGood resistance to viscosity and thermal breakdown, sludge buildup, and oil burnoff.ConsConsNo clear window to measure leftover oil with the included level markings.
- Honorable MentionValvoline Premium Blue OilSummarySummaryThe best choice to consider if you want to buy synthetic oils for diesel engines in bulk.ProsProsComes in 1-gallon and 3-case options. A good amount of oil for larger engines. Designed for extreme temperatures.ConsConsQuality of the case is lackluster. Cases can come from the factory with a broken seal.
- Best OverallRavenol Four-Stroke OilSummarySummaryOne of the best synthetic oils to choose for four-stroke engines. Noticeable gains with on- and off-road use.ProsProsEngine noise reduction is noticeable. Small gains in horsepower and fuel efficiency.ConsConsPerformance gains are no different than other brands. The real value is from the low cost.
- Best ValueCastrol POWER Synthetic OilSummarySummaryA good synthetic oil designed for larger, more powerful bike engines used in high-performance riding.ProsProsGood improvement with shifting quality. Cooler running temperatures.ConsConsVariable results depend on the engine type. The longevity of the oil is shorter than other options.
- Honorable MentionMobil 1 Racing 4T OilSummarySummaryFor racing-specific conditions, this is the motorcycle oil to choose. Good for competitive environments on and off of the road.ProsProsGood results. Easy application with straightforward bottle design.ConsConsQuality of the container is lacking; leaks and seal breaks are somewhat common.