This Rare US Air Force Jeep Pedal Car From 1958 Has Really Shot Up in Value
When it was new, someone paid just $15.95 for it. Now, it's expected to bring $1,800.
If you've spent any time at all watching American Pickers, and we all know you have, you're probably familiar with the hosts' obsession with vintage toy pedal cars. The antiques are big business today, attracting top dollar when they surface for sale. Almost none of them are as impressive as this 1958 U.S. Air Force Jeep, though, and it's heading to auction at RM Sotheby's later this month.
The Jeep, along with dozens of others in the same auction lot, were restored by Bruce Callis, a collector whose own personal compilation includes some of the rarest toy metal around. Callis, along with his grandson, cleaned and repaired the Jeep, but called out to skilled craftsmen to perform the bodywork that was necessary to bring the toy to museum-quality condition.
It spent two years at the McLean County Museum of History in Bloomington, Illinois, before making its way to the auction house. The elaborate toy was made by Hamilton Steel Products, a Chicago company founded in 1933 whose original catalog also included an Army Jeep, a few variations of firetrucks, and a whole host of wagons, scooters, and tricycles.
RM Sotheby’s Online Only: Pedal Power Auction will feature 52 other kid-powered vehicles—maybe adult-powered if you’re really committed—all of which are from between 1927 and 1977. If you’re hoping to snag one for your collection, this might be your best chance short of getting on an episode of American Pickers. Bidding will open at 1 p.m. EDT on June 17 and run through 11 a.m. on June 24, so you've got a whole week to bid the price up to well over the auction estimate of $1,200-$1,800.
Got a tip? Send us a note: email@example.com
- RELATEDThis Craigslist Jeep Gladiator Has a 6.4-Liter Hemi V8 Under the HoodThe approach angle doesn't help with the steep price, unfortunatelyREAD NOW
- RELATEDWhy Buy a Range Rover When You Can Make Your Jeep Wrangler This Fancy?The Brits know their craft.READ NOW
- RELATED2020 Jeep Wrangler Flips Over During IIHS Front Overlap Crash TestThe agency was able to reproduce the result in two separate tests using two different methods.READ NOW
- RELATEDAllegedly Defective Jeep, Ram Sway Bars Can Make Highway Driving Dangerous: Lawsuit [Corrected]Taking the death wobble to a whole new level.READ NOW
- RELATEDThese Laser-Cut Jeep Wrangler Fire Pits Double as an Off-Roader's Favorite Campside GrillOh, you prefer a Gladiator? They make those, too.READ NOW