Craigslist Find: Pimp My Ride Alum 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan Listed for $850
Interestingly, the original owner's Plymouth minivan was in such bad shape, MTV bought a Dodge stand-in and "pimped" it instead.
We've seen plenty of unique cars pop up on Craigslist over time but none have really captured what the '00s were like better than this 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan that was modified by the mad geniuses at MTV's Pimp My Ride. (MTV actually referred to it as a 1998 Plymouth Grand Voyager Expresso. More on that later.)
Finished in pink and purple mainly because the owner was a young, fashion-conscious woman, this Clinton-era minivan was fitted with the works. There's an obligatory Coustic sound system in the back, a total of nine screens scattered throughout, a jewelry-making station, a "disco-lighted" floor, and—as it sits—what appears to be a different wheel on all four corners. All yours for just $850.
It does need some TLC, though. Much of the lower bodywork has been pretty badly scratched and damaged. According to the seller, it's been sitting for more than four years and needs "brakes, alternator, idler pulley, coolant line, and a serpentine belt." Also, the airbag light is on. And it needs "a couple of tires."
We got in touch with the seller who gave us some interesting info on how he came to own the car and why it's listed as a '99 Dodge Grand Caravan when the TV show clearly depicted it as a '98 Plymouth.
"Laila's van was such a piece of junk it was not worth investing in so the show bought a 77,000-mile, beautiful condition Dodge Caravan and pimped that," he told The Drive via email.
"It is a bit of a story, but she sold it to me to pay for her wedding/honeymoon," the seller added.
This isn't the first time this particular Grand Caravan has surfaced via online classifieds. Last year, the same van was spotted by our own Stef Schrader being hocked on Craigslist for $1,400. Even with its quasi-celebrity status, it appears this Pimped Out van is having a bit of trouble finding a new owner.
While nobody wants much to do with the car itself, the PMR episode in question is definitely worth a watch. It can be found here in its entirety if you've got the free time.
I challenge you to not laugh when shop owner Beau questions painter Luis' original plan to spray "glamor girl" Laila's van jet black with flames down the side and skulls everywhere, only for Luis to respond, "Hell the f**k yeah!"
It's 2007—a girl can have her car in any color she wants, Beau.
- RELATEDThis Pimp My Ride AMC Pacer for Sale in Denver Has Seen Some HorrorsAnother mid-Aughts fever dream hits the auction block this summer.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Former Pimp My Ride Toyota Celica on Craigslist Is Hard to StomachWhat does a decade of decay do to a formerly fly tuner car?READ NOW
- RELATEDCraigslist Find: Ram 3500-Based Tornado Intercept Camera Truck From Storm ChasersDespite weighing 15,000 pounds, this armored storm chaser can travel up to 800 miles courtesy of its 92-gallon fuel tank.READ NOW
- RELATEDReckless NYC Cop Got 75 Tickets in Two Years in His Own Dodge Grand CaravanSomeone working at the 78th Precinct in Park Slope has had 53 speeding tickets and five red-light tickets since March 2017...in a minivan.READ NOW
- RELATEDDon’t Ask Xzibit to Pimp Your RideErstwhile famous person doesn’t care about thing that made him famous.READ NOW