Cringe in Agony as You Watch a Dodge Challenger Demon Burn to the Ground
Despite its name, Demons and hellish fires aren't necessarily a good fit for each other.
One Dodge Challenger SRT Demon channeled its namesake this past Sunday, going up in flames in spectacular fashion until most of its front end was nothing but char. Despite what you might be assuming, this factory drag racer didn't burn up at the dragstrip or a racetrack but on the shoulder of a public highway. Thankfully, no injuries have been reported.
According to Autoevolution, the fire allegedly started after the Demon's eight-speed automatic transmission "grenaded" and began leaking fluid, which eventually made contact with the hot exhaust components. However, this remains hearsay and the official cause reportedly remains under investigation. For what it's worth, the report points to forum posts that say this particular car had recently been serviced.
In any case, here are some shots of the aftermath.
While the front section of the car is positively charred, other sections look untouched. Also, we're not detectives but judging by the presence of the track-only front tires and a modified Z06 Corvette nearby, something tells us this Demon wasn't exactly in the middle of a relaxed, Sunday drive.
Packing a headline-friendly 840 horsepower, the Dodge Demon was built for one thing: dragstrip domination. Its 6.2-liter supercharged V-8, given enough room, will get the 'roided-up Challenger to a top speed of 168 miles per hour—or 203 if you opt for beefier tires and take off the electronic limiter. It'll do the ever-important quarter-mile sprint in under 10 seconds, 9.94 to be exact.
Given its extreme performance, we're not exactly surprised to see one go up in flames. Not that that makes it any less of a bummer, though, considering only 3,000 will be sold in the U.S.
- RELATED2019 Dodge Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320: A Less Sinister, Less Expensive DemonThe Demon's drag racing goodies are spreading to the rest of the Challenger lineup.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Is How a Stock Dodge Challenger SRT Demon Stacks Up Against a Suzuki HayabusaThe 840-horsepower muscle car aims to take down one of the fastest factory bikes in the quarter-mile.READ NOW
- RELATEDAll-Carbon, Twin-Turbo, 1,400-HP Dodge Demon Is the Devil's Own RidePerfect for when you're on a highway to hell and running a bit late.READ NOW
- RELATEDDriving Hennessey Performance's 1,000-HP Exorcist Camaro: Battling Demons in a 217-MPH MonsterThe Chevy Camaro ZL1 didn't need extra power—but John Hennessey crammed 53 percent more under the hood anyway. The result? Mind-boggling.READ NOW
- RELATEDDodge SRT Viper-Demon Pair Yields $1 Million for Charity at Barrett-Jackson AuctionThe last Dodge Demon and Viper sold as a package deal for seven figures, and every penny went to the United Way charity.READ NOW