Buckle Up, the All-New 2019 Mercedes-AMG G 63 Will Set You Back Nearly $150,000
The high-performance G-Wagen boasts 577 horsepower and it will hit US dealers in early 2019.
Mercedes-AMG has announced pricing for its new AMG G 63, and if you thought it'd be expensive, you'd be wrong, because it's actually very expensive. The boxy performance SUV will start at a whopping $147,500.
The updated performance G-Wagen is powered by a handbuilt 4.0-liter biturbo V8 that pumps out 577 horsepower and 627 pound-feet of torque. It'll get from zero to 60 in 4.5 seconds—which is pretty outrageous for something shaped like a Rubik's cube and higher than Seth Rogen in late April.
The G63 is equipped with a nine-speed AMG Speedshift automatic transmission, five drive modes, three off-road modes (Sand, Rock, and Trail), and side-exit performance exhaust. Connecting the beefy AMG wheels to the rest of the truck is double-wishbone independent suspension up front with adaptive adjustable dampers.
After producing the first-gen G-Class for almost four decades, this second-generation brings Merc's iconic, boxy utility vehicle squarely into the modern era, no pun intended. Over the years it's proven to be extremely versatile, looking and feeling at home putting in work on an Arctic expedition, crawling around Vatican City hauling holy cargo, and on the Atlanta driveway of the day's hottest hip-hop star. With the AMG, Mercedes hopes it finds comfort blasting around Hockenheimring as well.
The AMG G-Wagen will hit U.S. dealers in early 2019. If that's too much of a wait (or if nearly 150 grand is slightly too rich for your blood) the G550 can be had right now for $124,500. That version features a 4.0-liter biturbo V8 good for 416 horsepower and 450 pound-feet of torque.
- RELATED2019 Mercedes-Benz G550, Mercedes-AMG G63 First Drive: Automotive Brutalism, RebornAfter an epic first generation, Mercedes fine-tunes the quintessential G-Class for the modern day. New Geländewagen, we’re ge-lad to meet you.READ NOW
- RELATEDGee, What a Wagen: 2019 Mercedes-AMG G63 ReleasedThe amped-up G-Wagen is basically the same as the old one, but new, and it's pretty much perfect.READ NOW
- RELATEDSUV Showdown: Lamborghini Urus Races Tesla Model X, Range Rover SVR, and Mercedes-AMG G63No grocery bags were damaged in the making of this drag race.READ NOW
- RELATEDHere's How Mercedes-Benz Encased A 1979 G-Class in 52 Tons of Amber ResinBy sparing no expense, of course.READ NOW
- RELATEDListen to This 760 HP Mercedes-AMG GTR Take on Supercar Royalty in a 1,000-Meter Drag RaceThe raucous German tests its abilities against a heavily modified Porsche 911 Turbo and Bugatti Chiron.READ NOW