Watch Sebastien Loeb's Record-Breaking Pike's Peak Hillclimb Car Ride Again
Driver Sebastien Loeb bought the Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak Special from the museum where the car was on display.
- Watch This
- Watch This
Sebastien Loeb is a racing legend. Not only has he won more World Rally Championships than any other driver (nine of them), he also holds the overall record time up Pike's Peak.
In 2013, Loeb set his record time of 8.13:878 in a Peugeot 208 T16 Pikes Peak Special, a screaming all-wheel-drive monster with a 3.2-liter twin-turbo engine producing an amazing 875 horsepower. This car had been on display in Peugeot Sport's museum, but recently the museum sold it into private hands—those of Sebastien Loeb himself.
Loeb promptly brought this car, as well as two of his World Rally Championship cars, to his local Course de Côte de Turckheim, France. Loeb drove each car in several demonstration runs and was not an official competitor. But this was the first time the Pike's Peak car had run at an event in France, giving fans of Loeb and Peugeot the chance to see it on home turf.
Please, Seb. Please bring this car to Mount Washington, N.H. in 2020. As huge a fan as I am of Subaru Rally Team USA's Travis Pastrana and David Higgins, I would love to see you give these guys a run for their money in your Pike's Peak car.
There will be other familiar faces from Pike's Peak there as well. Sure, there's still a dirt section on the Mount Washington Auto Road, but given your WRC record, of course you can handle it. You've already tackled one of the most famous hillclimbs in America. Please come tackle one more.
Meanwhile, let's enjoy these shots from France of Loeb driving these cars as they were designed to be driven.
- RELATEDSebastien Loeb Will Return to Citroen WRC for Testing After 5-Year BreakThe nine-time world champion will try out the C3 rally car on asphalt early next month.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2017 Pikes Peak Hillclimb Was Full of Wonderful Historic CarsGet your fix with these up close and personal photos.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch David Donohue's Porsche 911 Turbo Attack The Pikes Peak Hillclimb From Inside The CarThe car's full officially unofficial name is the "911 Turbo S GT3R America Cup"READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Travis Pastrana Smash the Mt. Washington Hillclimb RecordTake a ride along with the fastest run ever up Mount Washington.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Subaru Rally Team USA's David Higgins Dramatic Mt. Washington CrashThe former record holder hit a rock that spun him over the side of the road.READ NOW