Watch Ken Block and the Hoonicorn Attack Pikes Peak in Climbkhana
Ken Block outdoes himself with a unique Gymkhana-style run up Pikes Peak.
- Watch This
- Watch This
Ken Block and Hoonigan's Gymkhana videos are some of the best and most famous examples of automotive insanity on the internet. After dropping a teaser last week, they've upped their game once again, bringing Gymkhana-style action to one of the greatest hillclimbs in the U.S.: Pikes Peak, Colo.
Famous for the prestigious Pikes Peak International Hillclimb, Ken Block brings his own unique approach to the auto road, with style rather than the lap times being his top priority. His tool for the job is none other than the Hoonicorn V2, his fire-breathing 1,400-horsepower Ford Mustang. Considering some of the wacky hillclimb cars we've seen both at Pikes Peak and Mount Washington, this utterly insane machine is the perfect choice for the job.
Since Block is not competing for a fast time, he takes the liberty of some unconventional lines through some sections. He lingers a bit longer than he has to at some chicanes, taking multiple passes as smoke pours out of all four Toyo tires the whole time. He meets his chase helicopter halfway up the mountain, and in a bit of a role-reversal, initiates a holding pattern around it, one that also involves a great deal more smoke than what today's fuel-efficient turbine aircraft engines typically produce. And although there is no snow to be seen on the mountain, Block encounters a few oncoming snowblowers in the middle of the road for absolutely no reason whatsoever. How he handles them is truly inspiring.
For a fascinating behind-the-scenes look at the shoot, check out Larry Chen's piece over at Speedhunters, too.
- RELATEDWatch Ken Block Test the 1,400 HP Hoonicorn V2 in Preparation for ClimbkhanaClimbkhana may be released on Sept. 25, but Ken Block tests the Hoonicorn V2 now.READ NOW
- RELATEDKen Block Drops Climbkhana Trailer, Featuring the 1,400-HP “Hoonicorn” Ford MustangWell, now we know what those turbos are for.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Ford Fiesta Rally Car Gymkhana Video Doesn’t Need Ken Block to Be GreatIt's still a 290-horsepower hatchback hooning through a factory.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Ken Block Slide All Over an Industrial Complex in Gymkhana 9Tire smoke, tire smoke, and uh, more tire smoke.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Subaru Impreza 2.5 RS Hoon Across a Construction Site, Gymkhana StyleLook out, Ken Block—Tyler Witte is really getting the hang of this whole Gymkhana thing.READ NOW