Friday Tech News Roundup: Tesla's Turbo Trolling, GigEU Factory, EVs for the 60%, and More
Your daily automotive technology news roundup, collected by a robot under safety driver supervision.
Welcome to The Drive's morning tech news roundup, a selection of key stories from the most innovative sectors in the automotive industry. Electric vehicles. Autonomy. Alternative fuels. Material science. Business squabbles. You'll find it all here. The news items are pulled from the ether by our fledgling newsbot (be kind, it's still learning) and curated by a human for your daily browsing.
- China Mulls Target for 60% of Auto Sales to be Electric by 2035 - Bloomberg: China is exploring ambitious new plans for the future of its car industry, weighing a target for 60% of all automobiles sold in the country to run on electric motors ...
- Making EVs attractive more important than getting into EV race: Maruti - Autocarindia: Maruti believes building scale is essential to reduce EV prices, which in turn will make them more attractive to consumers. Click for more.
- Renault To Discontinue Diesel Engines After BS-VI Kicks-In - Drivespark: Renault has announced plans to discontinue production of its diesel cars from 2020. Renault has joined the list of manufacturers intending to go the BS-VI way ...
- Renault Kwid EV Specs Revealed; Coming to India by 2022! - Carblogindia: The Renault Kwid EV uses a 26.8kWh battery pack that drives a permanent magnet synchronous motor with specs of 44PS of power and 225Nm of torque.
- Own cell production starts: Battery project VW / Northvolt stands - Tellerreport: The 20-percent stake of the car maker in the Stockholm company is now. In the coming year, the two partners in Salzgitter want to build a factory for ...
- Porsche increases stake in Rimac to 15.5 percent - Automobilsport: 06.09.2019: Strengthened strategic partnership Porsche has increased its stake in technology and sports car company Rimac Automobili to 15.5 percent.
- Elon Musk mocks Porsche for Taycan 'Turbo' badging - Aol: Elon Musk has mocked Porsche for giving its new all-electric Taycan 'Turbo' badging. The Tesla CEO took to Twitter to share his feelings about the ...
- VW starting ID.3 EV output at Zwickau in November - Just-Auto: Volkswagen said series production of its first dedicated EV - the ID.3 - will start at the Zwickau vehicle plant in November following its Frankfurt show debut next week.
- Qualcomm says it's waiting to hear from the US on its license to sell technology to Huawei - CNBC: Qualcomm has applied for licenses to continue selling its technology to Chinese tech giant Huawei, which has been placed on a U.S. entity list blocking it from doing business with American companies amid the U.S.-China trade war.
- Huawei unveils new chip for flagship phone it hopes will compete with Apple - CNBC: Huawei said the Kirin 990 processor will power its upcoming flagship smartphone called the Mate 30.
- How High Tech Is Transforming One of the Oldest Jobs: Farming - New York Times: "Autonomous operation will be a service in agriculture before it's a product," ... may be nearby, also collecting data on the land to improve efficiency.
- Spotting a Fire Truck Ahead Is Easy for People, Not So for Cars - Bloomberg: To the human driver, it would have been an obvious obstacle: a police car and fire truck, emergency lights blazing, blocking the lane ahead.
- Government Subsidies Fueled China's Electric Vehicle Boom. Now They're Facing Intense Scrutiny - Fortune: However, the surge in electric vehicles (EVs) was propelled by government ... been a rollback of the blanket subsidy support for Chinese EV makers.
- Tesla Model S will test at Nürburgring raceway next week - Teslarati: Tesla will be officially bringing its flagship Model S to Nürburgring in Western Germany sometime next week, said Tesla CEO Elon Musk in a recent ...
- Second European EV battery consortium underway -Handelsblatt - Reuters: Second European EV battery consortium underway -Handelsblatt Germany has agreed in principle with eight other European nations to set up a second consortium for the production and recycling of battery cells for cars, daily ...
- TomTom: Microsoft integrating our navigation in connected vehicles platform - Reuters: TomTom, the Dutch mapping and navigation company, said on Friday Microsoft is integrating TomTom's navigation technology into its Connected Vehicle Platform.
- A 26,000-Mile Road Test Finds Palm Oil Biofuel ‘Safe’ for Cars - Bloomberg: Indonesia said it conducted the world's longest road test using diesel blended with 30% palm oil, and the results showed that the biofuel is safe for cars.
- Mazda reveals its first EV will be a crossover - Autocar: NZ Autocar
- Hydrogen powered gin to be explored - Newfoodmagazine: In the global bid to reduce carbon emissions, The Orkney Distillery is looking to create sustainable gin using used hydrogen as a fuel in its distilling process.
Comments? Questions? Complaints? Email ed [at] thedrive [dot] com to help us help you stay informed about what's next.