Jeep Developing Ultra-Compact, Possibly Electric Suzuki Jimny Rival for 2022: Report
The miniature Jeep could reportedly measure just 13 feet long and use a Groupe PSA-derived platform.
With help stemming from parent company Fiat Chrysler's planned merger with Groupe PSA, Jeep may introduce an "ultra-compact," possibly electric Suzuki Jimny rival in 2022. Jeep's European marketing boss, Marco Pigozzi, recently told Auto Express that the miniature Jeep would be able to tackle the daily commute as well as the off-road stuff the company is famous for.
"The car will be able to be used as a badass Jeep, but it has also been designed to be used every day," said Pigozzi. FCA's Jimny rival will reportedly measure about 13 feet long, which is larger than the 10.8-foot Suzuki but still nearly six percent shorter than the current two-door Wrangler.
Able to be classed as a Kei car in its most modest 660cc form, the Suzuki Jimny is a shrunken, cheap, and very cheerful take on the whole Land Rover Defender, Mercedes G-Wagen concept.
When the publication asked whether or not Jeep's answer to the little Suzuki would follow in the Europe-only Renegade and Compass PHEVs footsteps by offering some sort of hybrid or electric drivetrain, Pigozzi replied, "We have the capability to deliver the electrification we need."
The report goes on to speculate that the entry-level Jeep could use PSA-derived architecture, pointing to a modified variant of that company's Common Modular Platform that underpins subcompacts like the Peugeot 208 and Opel's Corsa.
We've reached out to FCA for comment and will update this story when we hear back.
Got a tip? Send us a note: email@example.com
- RELATEDTeam O'Neil Rally School Finds the 2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Makes for a Terrible Rally CarWranglers are terrific on every surface, as long as you take things nice and slow, no sudden movements.READ NOW
- RELATEDThieves Steal Custom Jeep Wrangler, Ford Explorer Built to Benefit Children With CancerDetectives in Chattanooga are asking people to come forward with information on the stolen trucks, which were expected to bring $225,000 at auction.READ NOW
- RELATEDTuner Gives Suzuki Jimny the Mercedez-Benz G-Wagen Treatment, and We Want It More Than EverA body and lighting kit that makes your $25,000 off-roader look like a $125,000 German explorer is a plus in our book.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a 2019 Mercedes-AMG G 63 Play Tug of War Against Three Suzuki JimnysThree Davids versus Goliath.READ NOW
- RELATEDLowrider Jeep Gladiator Might Be the Most Questionably Modified Truck of 2019What's worse is that it's built on a top-trim, limited-run Rubicon Launch Edition model.READ NOW