Patent Drawings Suggest 2020 Ford Bronco Could Come With Convertible Cloth Roof
The dual-layer roof system could also act as an awning for campsites.
Ever since Ford announced a project to revive the famed Bronco SUV, we’ve been excited to see the result. And the fever only grows upon learning that the upcoming Ford Bronco might come equipped with a retractable cloth roof, according to some patent drawings discovered by MotorTrend.
The drawings show a potential roof design and construction for a very square SUV featuring an integrated retractable cloth function. In addition, the top has a mechanism that allows it to extend backwards out off the vehicle like an awning—similar to how certain versions of Volkswagen’s famous, forbidden-fruit camper vans feature retractable awnings to act as portable sunshades.
The roof in the patent drawings actually has two layers: one comprised of what’ll likely be a mesh polyester material on top of a secondary cloth part, offering two varying levels of shade and protection for occupants. It could also be entirely dismantled and removed, should drivers want a completely open motoring experience.
Previous reports suggested that the Bronco revival could at least come with a removable hardtop, in addition to removable doors to offer a wide-open motoring experience. This will sound familiar to Jeep Wrangler fans; it would jibe with the company's promise that the new Ford Bronco is an "authentic" off-roader. Plus, it's an ode to the versatility of the original Bronco II.
Of course, automakers file speculative patents all the time to protect ideas that might not make it to a final product. These drawings are in no way a guarantee that the Ford Bronco (or any Ford SUV, for that matter) will have a convertible cloth roof. But it's certainly something to look out for. And it might explain why Ford dealers who recently saw a near-production Bronco concept called the truck a "game-changer."
- RELATEDDealers Claim 2020 Ford Bronco Prototype With Removable Doors, Hardtop Is a 'Game Changer' (Updated)Ford dealers that have seen the new Bronco reportedly think they have a Jeep Wrangler-killer on their hands.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Promises to Debut New SUVs, Pickups, Sports Cars in 2019, Bronco Slated for 2020Ford has its hands full with the upcoming Explorer, Escape, Super Duty, Transit, and Mustang GT500.READ NOW
- RELATEDHere Are the First Leaked Images of the 2020 Ford Bronco's Baby Brother (UPDATE)Ford promised a small SUV with real off-road capability to pair with the new Bronco. These images suggest it followed through.READ NOW
- RELATED2020 Ford Bronco Could Come With a 7-Speed Manual Transmission: ReportGiven Ford's plans to fight the Jeep Wrangler in the sales arena, the move wouldn't only be smart, but also quite profitable.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Everest Caught Roaming Near Ford HQ as Bronco Development Ramps UpThe rugged SUV is typically seen on the streets of India or the Australian Outback, so what's it doing in Michigan?READ NOW