The 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid Is Just As Fuel Efficient As The Prius
The electrified Corolla gets 52 miles per gallon combined, which is exactly the same as its efficient sibling.
The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) released the official fuel economy numbers for the 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid, and it appears that the electrified 'Rolla is just as efficient as its hybrid-only Prius stablemate. The Corolla Hybrid delivers 52 miles per gallon in a mixture of city and highway driving, which is exactly the same as the Prius.
There is some variance drilling down to specific city and highway figures though, with the Prius getting 54 mpg in the city (1 mpg better than the Corolla) while the Corolla out-sips the Prius on the highway averaging 52 mpg against the Prius's 50.
This news isn't all that surprising when you consider both cars use pretty much the same drivetrain: a 1.8-liter four-cylinder hooked up to two electric motors and an e-CVT transmission.
In case hybrids aren't really your bag, the EPA released figures on the regular 2020 Corolla as well. Equipped with the 1.8-liter engine, the 2020 Corolla will get 32 mpg combined and 29/37 city/highway. Curiously, the bigger and more powerful 2.0-liter engine is even more efficient, scoring a rating of 34 combined mpg and 31/38 city/highway.
Official pricing for the Corolla Hybrid has yet to be released but we expect it to start somewhere in the low $20,000s. The Prius starts at $23,475. To be fair, the presumably higher-priced Prius will likely buy you more clout among your fellow environmentalists, as it remains the shorthand for "hybrid car" among non-car people, after all.
H/T: Motor Trend
- RELATEDHere's Why the Next-Gen Toyota Tundra and Tacoma Might Go HybridThe company's chief truck engineer drops hints that we could soon see a generation of electrified pickups.READ NOW
- RELATEDToyota Reveals Corolla Hybrid With Prius-Rivaling 50-Plus MPG at LA Auto ShowThis is the first time the Corolla is offered as a hybrid in the United States.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Toyota Prius AWD-e Unveiled at LA Auto Show, Boasts 52 MPGThe Toyota Prius AWD-e is the first all-wheel-drive version of the model in its 21-year history.READ NOW
- RELATEDSome Mad Genius Just Attached an M61 Vulcan Rotary Cannon to a Toyota PriusThe 202-pound weapon fires $27 cartridges at 6,600 rounds per minute; costing around $180,000 to fire it for 60 seconds.READ NOW
- RELATED2020 Toyota Corolla: All-New Inside and Out Plus Standard Advanced Safety TechThe 12th-generation Corolla is trying to inject some new life into the slowly dying sedan segment.READ NOW