2020 Toyota Corolla GR Sport Previewed Before Geneva Motor Show Launch
The Toyota Corolla GR Sport is more a lukewarm liftback than a hot hatch, but it may hint at what the upcoming Corolla GRMN has in store.
Toyota has revealed the 2020 Corolla GR Sport in advance of its debut at the 2019 Geneva Motor Show.
Described as a "sportier variant that injects some of the passion of Toyota Gazoo Racing," the GR Sport package will be an available styling package for the 2020 Corolla, on both hatchback and sedan body styles, and for both the 1.8-liter and 2.0-liter hybrid powertrains.
Cosmetic modifications to the GR Sport's exterior start up front, where the Corolla's face is modified with a dark chrome grille, fog lamps, LED headlights. Follow the body lines rearward to find 18-inch machined alloy wheels, between which sit stylized side skirts and rocker panels, and behind which are a diffuser and tinted rear glass. All are highlighted by a two-tone Dynamic Grey paint scheme.
Interior amenities feature standardized red stitching on the dashboard, shifter, and steering wheel, along with a set of cloth "Sport" seats whose bolstering comes standard with faux leather, though the seats can be upgraded to actual leather.
Availability of the Corolla GR Sport will begin in January of 2020 in Europe, though whether the package will come to the United States is not yet known.
Details of the Corolla GR Sport could suggest the stylistic direction in which Toyota could take the long-rumored, but recently reportedly confirmed Corolla GRMN, a hardcore, limited-edition hot hatch comparable to the likes of the Honda Civic Type R and Hyundai Veloster N. Toyota's Deputy Chief Designer Toshio Kanei recently told Dutch publication AutoRAI that said model is indeed happening, and will arrive in the middle of the Corolla's product cycle as part of a limited production run. Its engine was confirmed not to be hybridized, and hinted to be 1.6 liters in displacement.
- RELATEDToyota Is Planning on Building ‘High-Performance’ Versions of Every Model in Its LineupHow do you feel about a Toyota Sienna TRD? A Prius C GRMN? Land Cruiser TRD Pro?READ NOW
- RELATEDToyota Corolla Driver with Anti-Drunk Driving PSA on Roof Arrested for DUIShould
probablyfollow the roof's advice next time.READ NOW
- RELATED2020 Toyota Supra Gets the TRD Treatment, Lots of Carbon but No Extra PowerThe TRD Supra Performance Line Concept adds a little more pizzaz to the already voluptuous two-seater.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Ford Focus ST: Europe-Only Hatch Gets Detuned RS Engine With 276 HPAmericans will miss out on more power, more tech, a wagon variant, an optional diesel engine, and a heck of a lot more fun.READ NOW
- RELATEDToyota's Gazoo Racing Will Develop a New Sports Car PlatformThe question is, what kind of sports car is Toyota developing?READ NOW