Watch the Hoonigans Launch a Rally Car on Dish Soap for Science
I mean, if you want to call it that.
In a new video series that uses science to test some of the automotive world's urban legends, Hoonigan has proposed a challenge tougher than any real-world condition could present: launching a rally car on a Slip 'N' Slide doused in dish soap.
To give you an idea of the type of content seen in the series titled Scumbag Labs, the first episode had the Hoonigan crew soaking tires in bleach to see if it had an effect on the length and ease of rad burnouts. Mildly-science-related experiments such as these don't serve much of a purpose, but like anything that involves the fun-having crew, it's more for the entertainment value than anything.
For the most recent episode, Americas Rallycross (ARX) and Hoonigan-sponsored driver Steve Arpin came to help out by lending his skill, and his 650-horsepower all-wheel-drive rally car, to the cause.
Like true scientists, the Hoonigans do a control test of Arpin driving the Ford Focus on their wacky launch pad without soap. Arpin is able to achieve a time of 1.3 seconds from the start to the end of the tarp. Once several buckets of dish soap were added, that time extended to 4.9 seconds. Alongside that project, another test was performed to see how many gears Arpin could row through before the end of the Slip 'N' Slide. He not only reaches his max gear of sixth but also knocks his time down to 4.1 seconds using that strategy. Who'd've thunk it?
To catch the action, check out the Hoonigans' video below and, as they mention in the video, "maybe" don't try this at home.
- RELATEDRallycross Driver Steve Arpin Joins Forces with Hoonigan's Ken BlockSteve Arpin and his Loenbro Motorsports team will be pairing up with Ken Block and Hoonigan to take on the new ARX series.READ NOW
- RELATEDTake a Behind the Scenes Look at Hoonigan's HQ: The Donut GarageThe Drive recently took a detailed tour of Hoonigan's headquarters, the Donut Garage, located in Long Beach, California.READ NOW
- RELATEDKen Block Gives a Tour of Hoonigan Racing Division HQ to Show His ‘Carcaine’ AddictionFrom his Hoonicorn V2 to his Ford Escort Cosworth Group A rally car, Ken Block shows the toys that fuel his addiction.READ NOW
- RELATEDFormula Drift Drivers James Deane and Piotr Wiecek Thrash Around at HooniganFresh off the first round of Formula Drift, Deane and Wiecek visit Hoonigan and bring their Nissan S15 drift cars to play around with.READ NOW
- RELATEDHoonigan Has Compiled a Year of HooningJust Send It Volume 1 captures one year of burnouts, donuts, figure eights, and the occasional vehicle jumping off something.READ NOW