UPDATED: Ford Just Built Its 10 Millionth Mustang
Officially, there are more Mustangs in the wild than there are people in Michigan.
Ford celebrated quite the milestone when its world-famous muscle car hit eight digits on the production ticker. Yep, as of Wednesday, a whopping 10 million Mustangs have been built since it was first introduced in 1964. Which means, officially, there are more Mustangs in the wild than there are people in Michigan.
Rolling off the line at Ford's Flat Rock plant, Mustang No. 10,000,000 is a 2019 GT convertible model equipped with a 460-horsepower, 5.0-liter V-8 and a six-speed manual transmission. Finished in Wimbledon White, its color is a callback to Mustang #001 that wore the same shade of paint when it came off the assembly line 54 years ago.
To mark the occasion, Ford is hosting 60 Mustang owners at the Michigan factory for a tribute. Here's footage of that 'Stang parade filing in.
"Mustang is the heart and soul of this company and a favorite around the world," said Ford President of Global Markets, Jim Farley. "I get the same thrill seeing a Mustang roll down a street in Detroit, London or Beijing that I felt when I bought my first car—a 1966 Mustang coupe that I drove across the country as a teenager. Mustang is a smile-maker in any language."
Indeed, when Ford announced that it would be dropping all car offerings (anything that isn't a crossover, SUV, or truck) from its lineup back in April, the Mustang was the sole survivor.
We were thoroughly impressed when we got to sample the latest version equipped with Performance Pack 2 a couple months ago. So Ford, keep 'em coming.
Today's festivities are scheduled to kick off at 1 p.m. EDT. We've reached out to Ford for additional pictures from the event and will update this story when we receive them.
UPDATE [08/08/2018 4:05 p.m. EDT]: In an email to The Drive, Ford shared the following shots of Mustang No. 10,000,000. The company also says, unsurprisingly, that it won't be a customer car. Instead it'll "stay with Ford for now" but the company is "open to ideas" regarding how it'll spend the rest of its days.
- RELATED2018 Ford Mustang GT Performance Pack 2 Group Review: Where Muscle Car Meets Track AttackerPacking a stiff MagneRide suspension, aggressive tires, and a 455-horsepower V-8, the PP2 Mustang shows just how far the pony car has come.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2018 Ford Mustang Is a Muscle Car to Be Thankful ForThe facelifted sixth-gen 'Stang is better than ever...so long as you don't look it too closely in the face.READ NOW
- RELATEDTurns Out the Kia Stinger GT Can Beat a Ford Mustang GT in a Drag RaceThe new kid isn't playing around.READ NOW
- RELATEDMustang Driver Ticketed Going 92 MPH Arrested Going 142 MPH Same DayShe fought the law and...You know the rest.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord and RTR Create WWII Fighter-Inspired Mustang GTThe custom car will be shown at Goodwood, then auctioned off for charity.READ NOW