Is the Genesis GV80 Concept Luxury's Fuel-Cell Future?
The Genesis GV80 concept is a hydrogen fuel-cell luxury SUV, previewing a possible future direction for Hyundai's luxury brand.
On Wednesday at the 2017 New York Auto Show, Genesis unveiled the GV80 concept—a hydrogen fuel-cell SUV that previews the luxury brand's potential inclusion in parent Hyundai's green-car plans.
Genesis didn't offer many details on the GV80's powertrain, instead choosing to focus on the design. A production Genesis SUV is almost a certainty, and that model will likely borrow some elements from the smoothly-surfaced GV80. The spiderweb-like detailing in the wheels, pillars, and other areas may not make it, though.
On the inside, the GV80 features a futuristic dashboard design that strips away nearly all analog controls. The defining element is a 22-inch OLED display screen that runs most of the length of the dash, and is paired with a digital instrument cluster for the driver. Naturally for a luxury vehicle, the cabin is covered in wood (in this case ash) and leather trim.
Genesis parent Hyundai is already one of the main players in the fuel-cell game. It sells the Tucson Fuel Cell in certain parts of California, and is planning a second-generation fuel-cell SUV to replace it. That model was previewed by the FE Fuel Cell concept at the 2017 Geneva Motor Show, and is slated to go into production next year. Infrastructure remains a major drawback to fuel-cell cars, however, as fueling stations are still few and far between.
It doesn't seem out of the question that Hyundai would apply its fuel-cell technology to Genesis. In fact, given Hyundai's plans to massively grow its green-car sales, it makes plenty of sense. Both Hyundai and Kia have a slew of hybrids, plug-in hybrids, and electric cars in their lineups, so why shouldn't Genesis get in on the act?
- RELATEDDaimler May Scale Back Its Hydrogen Fuel Cell PlansWhen it comes to zero-emission vehicles, Daimler may switch its focus from hydrogen fuel cells to batteries.READ NOW
- RELATEDHyundai Releases FE Fuel Cell Concept SUV at GenevaOh, and it has a range of 497 miles.READ NOW
- RELATEDHyundai Doubles Down on Fuel Cell Technology With New SUVThe proposed market-leading SUV will have a 500-mile range.READ NOW
- RELATEDGenesis Taps Former Bugatti, Lamborghini Designer for Design ChiefThe man who helped penned the Chiron will soon be masterminding bougie Hyundais.READ NOW
- RELATEDGenesis G90 is a Generous and Thoughtful Luxury SedanThe 2017 Genesis G90 exhibits great design choices, top notch materials and good looks inside and out. And the 5.0 Ultimate RWD that we tested also brought the performance, 420 horses from a 5.0-liter V8.READ NOW