Watch a Caterham 620R Do a 'Record-Breaking' 19 Donuts in 60 Seconds
The stunt was all part of the Caterham Seven's 60th birthday party.
To commemorate the Caterham Seven's 60th birthday, the British track toy maker celebrated the only way they knew how: with donuts. No, not the glaze-and-sprinkles kind, but the ruined tires and dizzy passengers kind.
With Olympic-cyclist-turned-racecar-driver Chris Hoy behind the wheel of a Caterham Seven 620R, the company supposedly broke the world record for most controlled spins performed in 60 seconds. Naturally, you're likely curious as to what that looks like. Luckily for us, Caterham has released a pair videos documenting the occasion. We know it's Friday afternoon, but do not try this in the office parking lot when you leave for the weekend, as tempting as it might be.
Well done, Caterham and Chris, well done.
However, it has since been pointed out that a previous 2002 record held by motoring journalist Alistair Weaver achieved 22 donuts in a minute. That's three more than Hoy's 19, in case it wasn't clear. Oddly, it's a record Caterham really should have known about considering it was done in one of its own 1.8-liter Superlights.
Weird. In any case, I think we can all agree that the Caterham Seven is very good at doing donuts and we at The Drive wish it a happy 60th.
- RELATEDWatch This Caterham 485 S Chase a BMW M3 Around the NurburgringNothing like flying around "The Ring" in an open cabin sports car.READ NOW
- RELATEDWho Should Caterham Build a Sports Car With?The company is now seeking a partner to develop an all-new, fully-enclosed sports car. Which automaker should answer that call?READ NOW
- RELATEDCaterham Uses Bicycle Frame Tubing to Make the Seven Even LighterTeams up with Reynolds to build a 1,070-pound car for a fair price, you can buy it in 2017.READ NOW
- RELATEDLego Approves Official Caterham SetThe ultimate kit-car gets immortalized with a mini-brick kit.READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Is the 2015 Caterham F1 Car That Never RacedThe 2014 ugly duckling would have matured into this swan.READ NOW