Best Transmission Filters: Keep Your Vehicle Running Smoothly
Transmission filters are just as important as the transmission and should be picked carefully
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
The transmission is one of the most important parts of a vehicle. Without it, a vehicle cannot move. Transmission filters work by catching excess fluids and filtering out debris and contaminants before they enter the transmission. Finding the right transmission filter is essential to proper vehicle operation. Check out the best transmission filters on the market.
The ACDelco transmission fluid filter kit is very popular among GM car owners and mechanics. It features an air-tight seal, felt filters, and fiber filters infused with resin.
- Transmission filter comes in a kit equipped with everything needed to get the job done
- Includes the filter itself and the tube filter seal
- Filter is the same as GM’s original filters and will stay in place once installed
- Different size variations,
- Deep pan is not even across the bottom as one side is deeper than the other.
The Allison external spin-on filters are leak-proof and made specifically for certain GM trucks for a perfect fit each time.
- Genuine Allison filters are comparable to ACDelco filters except they’re half the price
- Filters use a high-quality magnet and are expected to last up to three years
- Comes with a magnetic disk, which you may inadvertently throw out, forcing you to order a new one. This problem is easily avoidable with other types of filters.
The Motorcraft transmission filter is a factory original made for a direct fit and easy installation. It is best for Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury vehicles. It features high-quality materials for long-lasting endurance.
- Filter is made from durable metals designed for longevity and to prevent abrasiveness and corrosive moisture from entering the vehicle
- Product features 20 bolt holes for a perfect factory fit every time.
- Motorcraft transmission filter does not come equipped with other materials needed to change the filter, such as a gasket.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Transmission Filters
- Removes contaminants. Your car’s gears can wear out because of constant friction between the parts, resulting in metal shavings in the transmission fluid. A transmission filter will sift out the dirt and metal shavings in the transmission fluid and stop them from causing problems to your car. Additionally, a transmission filter has an air-tight seal that will block the dirt and foreign particles that can get inside the transmission fluid.
- Smooth gearing. If you cannot change gears easily when driving, it means that your car’s transmission filter is not working correctly. A quality filter removes the sudden surge in power that you experience whenever you are changing your car’s gears, making your driving smoother.
- Reduced noise. Sometimes your car can change the sound it produces whenever you start the engine. This is an indication that the transmission fluid has been contaminated with dirt. Changing the engine oil and acquiring a new oil filter system removes the rattling sound and makes your driving smooth.
- Reduces leakage. The transmission fluid can easily leak if the car’s transmission system has a problem. Putting the right oil filter in the transmission system permanently removes the fluid leakages, enhancing fuel economy. With a new transmission filter kit, you can install a new pan gasket and seals to stop the transmission fluid from leaking. Additionally, you will remove the burning smell and smoke that comes out of your car’s exhaust.
Types of Transmission Filters
These are the most common aftermarket transmission filters because they are compatible with many automobile transmission systems. These filters are lighter and easy to install in your car. Most of them are compatible with transmission systems from different motor brands. They are also the most affordable types compared to other high-tech transmission filters. However, their efficiency in terms of contaminant removal is a bit compromised.
Diesel Engine Fuel
These motor oil transmission filters are designed with Aquabloc technology, which ensures sifting of water from fuel. They are suitable for 6.0- to 6.4-liter engines. They come with the highest water and dust removal capacity, up to 96 percent. These types of motor oil filters can remove small particles (about 10 microns) from the transmission fluid with higher efficiency. Most of these filters are recommended for Ford engines.
These are transmission filters explicitly designed to remove the contaminants within the engine vent. They are a bit expensive compared to most fuel filters. They have the highest filtration efficiency and are a bit lighter. They come in different models based on the type of car engine.
Motorcraft is the automotive brand name of the famous America-based Ford Motor Company. The company was established in 1903 by Henry Ford. It has its headquarters in Dearborn, Mich. The company has established an excellent reputation in the market for its quality car motors and related engine auto parts. Some of its best-selling transmission filters include the Motorcraft FT-114 Screen Assy. All the transmission filters from this company come with a quality assurance mark that makes them suitable for all automobiles with a Ford engine.
ACDelco is a brand name of General Motors, which was established in 1908. The international company is headquartered in Detroit, Mich., and serves six countries with its high-quality auto parts. For more than a century, the company has been offering some of the best automobile spare parts and transmission filters. Some of its quality transmission filters include the ACDelco Professional Automatic Transmission Fluid Filter Starter Kit and the ACDelco TF289 Professional Automatic Transmission Fluid Filter Kit.
When looking for high-quality transmission filters, Wix should be your first stop. The company was established in 1939 with its headquarters based in Gaston, N.C. It produces a variety of products for the filtration, diesel, industrial, and automotive markets. Some of the best-selling transmission filters from the company include the WIX Filters—58618 Automatic Transmission Filter and the WIX Filters—58040 Automatic Transmission Filter. All the filtration products offered by the company will come with a product warranty to give you peace of mind when placing your order.
Transmission Filters Pricing
- Under $20: These are the most affordable transmission filters you can buy for your car. They are a bit lighter and reliable. However, most of them come with a low-quality magnetic disk that can break off easily.
- $20-$30: If you are looking for a transmission filter that saves you money while improving the performance of your car’s engine, then you want to consider those in this price range. Most of these filters come with a tube filter seal that enables them to remain in the exact position when you install them.
- $30 and up: These are the most expensive fuel transmission filters you can find. They are designed with low abrasion and durable metals. They are suitable for heavy-duty vehicle engines such as the V-8 engines of the Chevrolet, Honda, and Toyota brands. They also last longer than most of the cheaper filters.
Most quality transmission filters come with air-tight seals that ensure no leaking of transmission fluid or entry of foreign materials inside the engine. Every transmission filter must have an air-tight O-ring seal to ensure no room for microparticles. The O-ring encloses the space between the transmission case and the pickup tube to ensure no air gets into the transmission system.
This is another essential feature that you must look for whenever you purchase a transmission filter kit. A transmission filter comes with a pickup tube that connects the oil pump and the transmission filter assembly. The pickup tube should be made of durable and flexible material for enhanced efficiency.
This is an essential part of your transmission filter kit. A gasket encloses the space between the transmission pan and the filter to ensure no space is left for the transmission fluid to escape. Transmission filter gaskets are made of either rugged rubber or cork. They are fixed on the perimeter of the pan or may be left to simply pull off.
- Low Abrasion Surface. The best transmission filters come with a low-abrasion metal surface that lasts longer, even under constant friction with the different parts of the transmission system. When buying a new filter, you want to ensure the metal used to construct it does not wear off quickly. This way, you can use it on a heavy-duty engine.
- Ease of Installation. Armed with screwdrivers and some other simple tools, most motorists can fit transmission filters by themselves without visiting a mechanic. Therefore, before purchasing a new filter kit, you want to ensure that it has an OEM direct-fit design. A transmission filter with a simple fit design saves you time and money. The transmission filter kit should be easy to assemble and install in your engine.
Best Transmission Filters Reviews & Recommendations 2020
- There are many imposter products that try to substitute for higher quality and well-known transmission filter brands, such as the Allison filter. Inspect the product and product reviews carefully to make sure you’re getting a good-quality brand.
- Not all transmission filters will fit every vehicle. Determine the size of your vehicle’s transmission filter before making a purchase.
- Make sure you have all the parts required in order to replace your filter as some filters come in kits, while others require additional parts.
Q. How often do I need to change my transmission filter?
The transmission filter should be changed every two years or every 20,000 miles. Depending on the filter, some brands can last up to three years between replacements.
Q. What is the best filter for GM vehicles?
ACDelco and Allison brand filters are factory filters designed specifically for GM vehicles. ACDelco is owned by GM, whereas the Allison brand makes the transmissions for GM vehicles.
Q. What is a spin-on transmission filter?
A spin-on transmission filter refers to the shape of the filter. These filters are barrel-shaped and are easier to fit onto the vehicle.
We recommend the ACDelco Professional Automatic Transmission Fluid Filter Starter Kit. This filter is top of the line and not too expensive.
A more affordable option is the Allison External Spin On Filter.