How the 2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X Compares to the Ford Bronco Wildtrak
The new Rubicon X trim gets standard 35-inch tires, but that’s not where the similarities stop.
The JL-generation Jeep Wrangler is getting a pretty significant refresh, which means upgraded equipment across the lineup and even a few new trims. The variant that off-roading enthusiasts should be most excited about is the 2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X, which is pretty much the rig for anyone who plans to venture off the beaten path (and maybe can't afford the V8 model).
With standard 35-inch tires, steel bumpers, and a full-time transfer case, this premium trim boasts even more trail capability than the run-of-the-mill Rubicon. Wouldn't you know it, the new Jeep is also closely matched 2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak.
But unlike the Bronco Wildtrak, Jeep is offering the Rubicon X with a choice of gas and hybrid powertrains, meaning buyers can ditch the tried-and-true Pentastar V6 for the electrified 4xe. That features a 2.0-liter turbo-four with both an engine-mounted and gearbox-mounted electric generator unit that gets its juice from an onboard 17-kilowatt-hour battery pack. Together, this system offers an impressive 375 horsepower and 470 pound-feet of torque, outperforming the Bronco Wildtrak's 2.7-liter twin-turbo V6.
Power figures aside, both the new Jeep Rubicon X and Ford Bronco Wildtrak are extremely capable off-roaders with more in common than you might think. And if brand loyalty isn't a concern for buyers, the choice between the two could easily come down to the styling, or perhaps the tiniest of details, like ramp angle or ground clearance. Here's a closer look at the most need-to-know specs between the pair:
2024 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon X
- Starting Price: TBD
- Dimensions: 192.5 inches long x 75.5 inches tall x 79.3 inches wide (four-door)
- Power: 285 hp and 260 lb-ft (3.6-liter Pentastar V6) | 375 hp and 470 lb-ft of torque (2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder hybrid)
- Transmission: Six-speed manual | Eight-speed automatic (mandatory for 4xe powertrains)
- Max Ground Clearance: 12.9 inches
- Max Wading Depth: 34 inches
- Approach/Breakover/Departure Angles: 47.4/27.8/40.4 degrees (four-door)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
- Starting Price: $60,360 (four-door)
- Dimensions: 189.4 inches long x 73 inches tall x 86.2 inches wide (four-door)
- Power: 315 hp and 410 lb-ft (2.7-liter twin-turbo V6)
- Transmission: 10-speed automatic (mandatory on 2.7-liter V6)
- Max Ground Clearance: 11.6 inches
- Max Wading Depth: 33.5 inches
- Approach/Breakover/Departure Angles: 43.2/26.3/37.0 degrees (four-door)
Got a tip or question for the author? Contact them directly: email@example.com