Ford Mustang Police Car Leads Parade at Cologne Carnival
Ford's iconic pony car has nestled its way into some law enforcement communities. Lucky cops.
American muscle has crept its way into some unlikely automotive segments—and European law enforcement may be among the weirdest. Last week, a modified Ford Mustang GT police car lead the 2017 Rose Monday parade during the Cologne Carnival. Although this particular Mustang is not in the Cologne Police Department's fleet, it is a part of Germany’s Tune it! Safe! program.
This particular vehicle was built by German tuner Wolf Racing, and has proven popular in the aftermarket tuning scene. The potent 5.0-liter V8 has been tuned to 455 horsepower and has received other treatments, like an aftermarket exhaust, lowered suspension, and aero kit. The purpose of Tune it! Safe! is to promote safe (and legal) tuning practices in Europe.
Surprisingly, this isn’t the first Mustang GT to be utilized by a police department. New South Wales Police have adopted the Mustang GT for the Highway Patrol Division thanks to its 435 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque. In addition, many departments throughout the United States utilize Mustangs as recruiting tools, D.A.R.E. vehicles, with a fortunate few using them as traffic cars.
Many departments shy away from nonconventional police cars due to cost, reliability, and potential handling issues, but the Coyote V8 found in the Mustang GT has apparently started to catch on along with some Mopar muscle.
- RELATEDWatch These D.C. Police Officers Pull a Man From a Burning CarBody cameras capture the officers, breaking the car windows and extricating the victim.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew Kevlar Shield Is Designed to Protect Police OfficersThis origami-inspired kevlar shield is a lightweight, foldable solution to help keep officers safe from gunfire.READ NOW
- RELATEDPolice Officer Uses Chevy Tahoe to Push Burning Ford F-150 Away From BuildingThe quick thinking of a Glenn Heights cop probably saved a Jack in the Box.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a Ford Fusion Flip and Keep Driving As the Police Give ChaseEven in spite of a double (or even triple) roll-over, this Ford just keeps on going.READ NOW
- RELATEDDodge's New Charger Police Cars Use Cameras and Radar to Protect Officers from ThreatsDodge will be offering their Officer Protection Package free of charge on 2017 Charger Pursuit packages.READ NOW