Watch These Police Officers Surprise Drivers With $100 Bills Instead of Tickets
This is the kind of positive energy we need heading into 2020.
Fifty mildly irresponsible motorists in California were made marginally richer this past Monday when they were pulled over by police only to be handed a card with a $100 bill in it rather than a traffic ticket.
According to ABC News, it's all part of the Madera County Sheriff's Department's fifth annual "Operation Random Acts of Kindness" that, as its name suggests, looks to spread some random holiday joy and improve the police department's relationship with the people it protects and serves. And before all of the Negative Nancies go storming the comments on your high horses screaming of misused tax dollars, the $5,000 purse handed out was actually donated by Agriland Farming Company, a farm management, acquisition, and development firm located in Chowchilla, California.
Unsurprisingly, drivers responded with shock, gratitude, and in some cases, tears. "[It was] not expected, I can tell you that much, so I'm very appreciative," one motorist said. "And it's a good time of the year to get surprises like that, so it's pretty awesome."
It's important to note that the motorists stopped in this campaign were flagged for minor traffic violations. Meaning, no, your cousin who was caught doing 105 mph in a 40 in his clapped-out Civic last weekend did not receive any C-notes from the fuzz.
"This is an opportunity for the deputies to go out and have positive interactions with the community," said Madera County Undersheriff Tyson Pogue. "And it really helps us build relationships with the community."
"Deputies primarily have contact with citizens when something stressful or bad is happening," said Sheriff Jay Varney on Facebook. "This annual giving event allows deputies an opportunity to interact with the public in a positive manner and spread some holiday cheer."
Got a tip? Send us a note: email@example.com
- RELATED2020 Dodge Durango Pursuit Review: Driving a Police Car Will Teach You a Lot About PeopleThe highs and lows of a week with a police car.READ NOW
- RELATEDAustralian Police Reportedly Ticketing People Fleeing Wildfires for 'Unsecured Loads'Because having to leave your entire life behind isn't painful enough, now you can get ticketed for hauling your stuff.READ NOW
- RELATEDBritish Police Ticket Passing Lane Hog with No Traffic Behind ThemThe lost art of lane discipline still lives on the M20.READ NOW
- RELATEDIndiana Police Arrest Car Thief After Noticing Handwritten, Paper Bag License PlateTo make it better, the license plate numbers were scribbled in crayon.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord F-150 Raptor Caught Blocking EV Chargers Gets Unmercifully Towed by PoliceThat'll teach ya.READ NOW